RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Air bags won't inflate, front and rear brakes locked up

Been here a while in Ohio, time to head to Tennessee (home sweet home). Batteries were toast, kept filled with water but they swelled anyway.... Problem is got the rig started jacks up but....only getting about 30psi ran for 20mins. seems to get to 30psi in the same time it used to get to 120psi. No air bag inflating and can't release brakes. I do not hear any air leaking from any air lines. Do you all agree that my compressor on the C-9 CAT is faulty or has anyone else had this issue and was an easy fix. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

My vote is for bad compressor

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

If it holds the 30 PSI you build after turning it off, it may be a blown line from the compressor to the air dryer, open purge valve on the air dryer or blownline from air dryer to the tank.

You will only hear them leaking while the engine is running and the engine noise drowns out the leak.

Bring up RPMs and see if you get a bit more PSI. It may also make the leak noise louder.

You could bypass the air dryer or plug the purge valve port. ( some are threaded )

If its pumping air, its not the compressor.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

I would vote for the governor. Easy to replace.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Up date: I went to the store got 3 nipples to plug my air compressor into, pumped up to 120psi now air brakes have released as the should (woohoo), but on the air line toward the middle of the coach is for air bags, valve for the ride height (front) is leaking. I will see if I can work on that issue in the morning.
Yes the motor compressor pumps up to 30psi and holds....
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

If it holds the 30 PSI, the major leak needs to be before the air tanks.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

Went and got a governor, no help, hot line on compressor isn't hot as it should be guess I'm going to have to get a compressor..... that sure is a tight space to work in even with the access panel from the bedroom. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
if it has a releif valve on the compressor give it a few taps. Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #9

If the line has no resistance, it won't get hot.

Be sure you confirm the line and system holds air by removing it from the compressor and charging it with a shop air, before removing the compressor.

In 35 years, the only compressor failures I've seen either blew the rod out the bottom or on Cat engines stripped the drive spline. In both cases, absolutely no air was pumped.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
Went and got a governor, no help, hot line on compressor isn't hot as it should be guess I'm going to have to get a compressor..... that sure is a tight space to work in even with the access panel from the bedroom. Thanks for all the help.
It could very well be stuck intake valves in the compressor head due to carbon build up and sitting in storage.
Here is a Cummins bulletin on the subject. Not a Cat but same principle and likely a Bendix compressor.
Before spending more cash on parts, this procedure may solve your problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf compressor carbon buildup.pdf (757.4 KB, 17 views)
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

UPDATE: got a mobile repair man out here (wet, rainy and cold) inj Ohio, he had to put on another air governor for his own piece of mind (free well sorta), well long story short air compressor is good, air governor is good. He scratched his head several times, tells me all should be working. now he says both rear leverler valves are leaking lots of air, he breaks out his compressor and starts back feeding air into the system 150 psi gets the dryer to pop a couple times now air is building up to about 85psi but won't go any higher, leverlers are just letting out too much air so we fill airbags up then dump did this about 5 times and bags started holding, working the dump travel switch many times. He had me move forward and brake then reverse and brake so the axles would shift (move the leverler valves) and now it builds up to normal and dryer releases as it should.woohoo Moral of this story is DON'T set to long in one spot, every couple of months take er out and go to dinner in your motor home she needs exercise. The End Thanks to all who gave their input....
Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Very interesting. I have not seen a compressor fail but I have seen governors fail. And of course Iíve seen plenty of air leaks. And it doesnít take a catastrophic air leak for the system to not be able to build air. I always carry a spare governor. And I have never in 12 years needed it.

The other takeaway for me from this thread is donít assume the worst and donít leave the rig sitting too long!!
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #13
Commercial Member

the real story is to do the diagnosis before replacing parts.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
the real story is to do the diagnosis before replacing parts.
You have to find an old time repairman, not one of the new parts replacers till it works.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake, brakes