Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Air Brake connector for Brake Master 9000

Bought a jeep Tow vehicle, set up with blue ox and a brake master 9000. My 1999 country Coach intrigue doesn't appear to have the air run to the rear area to connect tow vehicle brakes into? After talking to my RV shop ( he doesn't do the retro fit) he sent me to a trucking center and they also said they do not do Chasis alterations? Hum? Does anyone know how involved this is? Or a shop in Dallas that would do it? Thanks
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

I think you may be confused on this brake issue, normally the towed trailer uses electric brakes and flat towing an auto you would use one of the devices designed to apply the brakes on that towed vehicle. You would never tap into your single brake system for additional brakes on a towed vehicle.

If you were towing an air brake only vehicle, like a stacker with air brakes, yes you would have to have your busses (single) system changed over to a duel system (the same as on a tractor truck).

You would be hard pressed to find anyone willing to make that change to your coach for you as it has liability ramifications.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Hum. No don't think so. The air actuates a cyclinder mounted inside the jeep that depresses jeep brake pedal when Coach air brakes are applied? The jeep does have the Air connector mount in front next to the electrical connection. Unless I'm missing something?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Bought a jeep Tow vehicle, set up with blue ox and a brake master 9000. My 1999 country Coach intrigue doesn't appear to have the air run to the rear area to connect tow vehicle brakes into? After talking to my RV shop ( he doesn't do the retro fit) he sent me to a trucking center and they also said they do not do Chasis alterations? Hum? Does anyone know how involved this is? Or a shop in Dallas that would do it? Thanks
To bad the Jeep didn't come with the Air Force One system. In my humble opinion a much better product.

You won't find the connection you are looking for unless the Brake Master had been previously installed in the motor home. This connection was not installed at the factory that I have ever heard of.

http://roadmasterinc.com/locator/res...ame=&products=
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
The OP is correct about the air system, as I use the Brakemaster air actuated system on my 98 CC towing a 12 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The PO of my coach installed and used the same system.

If you will go to the Roadmaster website, the installation instructions explain how the air connection works, and generally how to install an air port at the back of your coach.

If you're not confident in yourself, call Roadmaster with questions or ask for their recommendations for authorized installers.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
KIX

CWTeel...........Assuming you have an air brake coach then there is an air supply at the rear axle for the coach air brakes.
Itcolmac mentioned that you may want to call Roadmaster.......good advice.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #7

Thanks guys that's the ticket

Brakemaster said there is a connection on back axel of Coach and I just need the 2nd RV air connection kit. $100. Then someone to install
it :(
Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went directly to RoadMaster for the kit since I live only a few miles from them. Cost was full list or about $125. One place wanted about $170 (way over list) and the other was the same as RoadMaster but wanted a couple days to get it.
It's easy to install although I haven't done it yet. The Odyssey is already set up with the breakaway and air lines from the last MH we had. I've installed both the towed and MH ends with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Wow,
Ok learned something new, I didn't know the towed brakes worked that way.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Wow,
Ok learned something new, I didn't know the towed brakes worked that way.
They do if you use the RoadMaster 9100 or 9160. They also make a kit for hyd brake RV's that adds a air compressor to the RV to power the towed brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake