Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Drain hoses clogged?

2 of my 3 air conditioners drain down the side of the coach instead of through the drain lines. Does anyone know the proper procedure for cleaning them out and where are they located? Are they visible once you remove the covers on top of the a/c units?

Jerry
06 Intrigue
C13 525 Cat
jbchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I guess mine has no drain hoses as the water runs down the roof and out the rain gutters. Every unit I've had did the same thing maybe I'm missing something. Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had two airstream motorhomes that had drain pans under the roof airs. The drain hoses on both were routed through the walls and came out at the bottom of the wall directly under the AC's. Dirt daubers kept stopping them up and I had to put screen wire over the ends to prevent this from happening. It was a simple procedure to clean them out with a straightened out clothes hanger.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Good Idea on the screen wire, I'll locate the drain hoses. I understand that Country Coach has drain hoses on 06 and later products.

thanks
Jerry
06 Intrigue
C13 525 Cat
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
My AC drains are near the front driver side wheel well and I think near the rear passenger side wheel well.

Since my rig is 11 years older and has no slides, it is likely that the locations are different on your rig. You might try some compressed air down the hose from the top to dislodge the blockage as it would appear that my hoses make a 90 degree turn somewhere.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Compressed air down the condensate drains will generally clear them. These are prone to clogging due to algae buildup; algaecide tablets are available at A/C supply stores, and keeping them in the condensate pan will prevent algae buildup. A periodic shot of chlorine bleach works pretty well as well.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
My AC drains are near the front driver side wheel well and I think near the rear passenger side wheel well.

Since my rig is 11 years older and has no slides, it is likely that the locations are different on your rig. You might try some compressed air down the hose from the top to dislodge the blockage as it would appear that my hoses make a 90 degree turn somewhere.
I would NOT use compressed air to blow out the line. You could blow a fitting off in the wall and wind up with the AC water emptying into your wall.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

Definitely would not want that to happen.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Jerry,
Did you resolve this issue?
If not, we had the same issue and discovered that our condensation went into a recepticle adjacent to the A/C unit and then is pumped out by an electric pump into the condensation hoses that then go overboard. We were leaking onto the roof because the pump was dead and the receptacle holding the condensation was overflowing onto the roof (and sneaking into the ceiling of the coach, too). Does your coach have the condensation receptacles and pumps as well?

Mike
'06 CC Inspire 360 #51534
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
'06, 36' CC Inspire 360 #51534
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

Mine does have the pumps too. I think the pumps are bad as well. Plan on fixing them this week. No leaks on the ceiling (that I can see) at this point.

thanks
Jerry
06 Intrigue
525 Cat
09 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

Jerry-
i would suspect the pumps too. After I replaced the pump, i checked continuity of drain hoses and found the front one had a bad splice that leaked too. It ran through roof and into passenger side windshield post, ending just above bottom of front end-cap. If you need more info on pumps I'll be glad to look it up and PM you with model #, distributor, etc. Let me know...
Mike
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Mike,
I had the pumps checked, and blew out the drain lines, they were all working. But what I did find is the drain pan on the front air unit was cut for some reason allowing water to run out. Ordered a new one for $15. Patched the cut one until it comes in.

thanks
Jerry
06 Intrigue
525 Cat
09 Wrangler Unlimited
Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #13

Jerry- sounds like the problem is solved.
Not to worry, though-
I'm sure there's another one lurking around the corner...
Cat C9
'11 Wrangler Unlimited