Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Air drier cycle time?

How often is the air dryer suppose to Blast ? Mine goes off about evert minute to minute and a half while driving. While idling with brake set it does not cycle much at all. What is normal? 1996 intrigue on gilling chassis, cummins, Holset type E compressor with Econ valve. Has reman AD 9 air dryer and new Econ valve. No apparent air leaks when parked and idling. BB.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

Ours does about same.

We did have a valve out of adjustment that caused short cycling while parked, adjusted and good.

Driving causes springs (airbags) to take and release air, not sure on how often is normal, that would depend on road and driving condition.

I would think the commercial drivers would be able to give more information

Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Since the pressure should release each time the compressor accomplishes the cut-off pressure the air release time should be dependent on the amount of air brake useage and some loss through the leveling system while enroute.

Frequency such as you describe would indicate air loss very rapidly and be noticed on your air tank guages on the dash.

If there is no major drop in air while driving, then you might have a air valve or leak problem.

Does the rig pass the DOT proscibed pre-trip air brake tests including pressure stability and rebuild parameters?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #4

Leak in the Air System

The gauges on the dash never show a loss while compressor cycles every 1 1/2 minutes. The dot air brake test is normal. I raised the air suspension and took a measurement and the air bags have held for 48 hrs. I have no air throttle at start up with good pressure on gages. builds in about 45 secs. then throttle is fine. going to check all aux tank air fittings next. BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1547_1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	29607  
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Great looking rig!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSON View Post
How often is the air dryer suppose to Blast ? Mine goes off about evert minute to minute and a half while driving. While idling with brake set it does not cycle much at all. What is normal? 1996 intrigue on gilling chassis, cummins, Holset type E compressor with Econ valve. Has reman AD 9 air dryer and new Econ valve. No apparent air leaks when parked and idling. BB.
Hi BBSON, I am a retired cross country trucker. Time has nothing to do with the cycling. When the compressor reaches its max pressure, the air dryer will release some air and moisture. It is all through pressure, not time... I am not familiar with what you call an Econ valve. There is an air govenor located on the compresor. There are usually about 3 small air lines connected to it. There is an adjustment on the govenor, but in my 25 years experience, it rarely helped. Any truck supplier should have this item. They usually cost about $20. Provided you have good acess, they are simple to replace. This is the first and cheapest place to look for a problem. It could be other things such as a leak, but I doubt that is the problem, again it if were a leak causung it, your air pressure would have to be doown to about 90 pounds before the compressor would kick in. The problem is usually the govenor or the air dryer. hope this helps, old trucker
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Old Trucker, I replaced the govenor about 6 months ago, the econ valve is used with a cummins using a holset type E compressor. It is attached on the dryer, has something to do with turbo cut off. I do not hear any leaks and gages will hold 120 PSI govenor will kick compressor back in at 90 PSI when using brake system. but while driving down the road and never touching the brakes the air dryer will cycle at @ 1 minute intervals . gauges show no or very little drop, maybe 3 PSI. BB
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

Where r u located? Is the humidity high? Is the air dryer just spitting moisture? I would think an air dryer has little to do with the compressor. Just some thoughts, I don't know for sure.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #9

I just replaced my AD-9 dryer a month ago and all I can say is mine does about the same as yours,
My old dryer had a different purge than my new one, the old one just blasted one loud blast of air, the new one blows then kinda leaks air for 15 or 20 seconds then shuts
I like the new one better, don't notice it as much when driving

love your coach, we have the same colors,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1210.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	30254  
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Air Dryer short cycle time

I also have a 1996 Intrigue and am experiencing the same issues and have taken the same actions. I was wondering if your ever got this resolved? From my research it appears the supply tank is to small for the air ride system thus the short cycle time on the compressor because this is the tank the govenor monitors. The gauges only monitor the brake service tanks and that is why the gauge doesn't show low pressure. My next step I believe is to add an additional Supply tank to increase air volume. Your thoughts?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #11

I have just been using it the way it is, I think it has always worked this way and she is 21 years old, you know the saying , "if it aint broke....."

I really don't notice it when driving,

keep us posted on your modifications
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #12

Added additional air tank and improved compressor cycling time from every 30 seconds to about every 90 seconds. Not happy with those results. I needed new shocks so am installing them now, doubt that changes much though. Next step may be delayed acting leveling vavles.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #13

You stated at idle with brake set is fine, so is it doing this only when driving?

If so, then bad shocks or normal...

Every change in road causes suspension to move, thus air is consumed.

Ours had bad dryer and offset height valve, would cycle fast when parked.

Adjusted internals of valve and replaced dryer.

Does NOT cycle when parked, but often while driving, call it normal...