Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air horn dilemma

I have finally confirmed that only my driver's side Hadley horn is working. The passenger side horn is silent. That explains why I have been thinking these horns sounded weak compared to the Hadley Bully Horns on my previous DP.

So I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or has any suggestions. I removed the back of the horn and checked the thin diaphragm. Diaphragm looks pristine and there was no crud or blockage that I could see.

I believe I see the air horn solenoid in the driver's side front compartment. It has only one yellow 1/4" line coming out. The solenoid sits on top of a manifold that has three 3/8" lines attached, on black and two grey. At the bottom of the manifold is a Schrader valve and another unused connection that has a plastic plug in it.

So, solenoid works since left horn works. Since there seems to be only one line out, there must be another T in the system to the two horns. However, I hear no leak or hissing air when the left horn is activate which would seem to rule out any leak. Maybe a blockage in the line that goes to the other horn. Or, the horn is bad??

Any suggestions?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

Can you remove the line , from the non operational horn and have someone push the horn button ( hearing protection ) while your on the roof; checking for air flow; Or swap the horns side to side to see if the problem moves?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Can you remove the line , from the non operational horn and have someone push the horn button ( hearing protection ) while your on the roof; checking for air flow; Or swap the horns side to side to see if the problem moves?
Not without removing the horn from the roof. The Hadley's apparently have the air connection on the bottom and that passes thru the rear mounting plate which is now covered with Dicor sealant. I will do that after I have located the lines and determined air is passing thru them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #4

Might be that the diaphragm (which is all metal) is stuck inside the horn. Most of the time they free up with air applications (trying to use the horn). I believe there is a metal plate on the back that is held in with screws. Removing the plate should give access to the diaphragm so you can clean it. BTW, I have never had to do this so please take that in mind. Mine always break loose after a few horn blows.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFitz View Post
Might be that the diaphragm (which is all metal) is stuck inside the horn. Most of the time they free up with air applications (trying to use the horn). I believe there is a metal plate on the back that is held in with screws. Removing the plate should give access to the diaphragm so you can clean it. BTW, I have never had to do this so please take that in mind. Mine always break loose after a few horn blows.
Thanks. I already removed that plate and checked the diaphragm. It looked fine.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #6

Push horn button with plate off to see if you get air.

with plate off get air hose on roof and blow back into horn feeder.

If air flows freely you nay not be connected and may hear it at other end.

No air flow could ne pinched line.

If a pinched line, get small flexible wire like #14 bare copper and push it in the hole in non working horn.

If it has a 90 degree connector this will not work...but if not it will go unit until it hits the kink.

May need to pull thr horn disconnect the line and use the wire to see how far the trouble may be.

Consider possible cabinet work over dash may have crushed a hose too.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Follow Up, Problem resolved

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The horn now works.

I called Hadley and they said even though the diaphragm looked clean to me, the slightest amount of residue, etc. can cause my problem. They said to clean the diaphragm with fine steel wool. I had some 0000 steel wool and polished the diaphragm. Put the thing back together and told the DW to try the horn. Amazing how loud those horns are when you are on top of one. Nearly blew me off the roof .

Now I know why they calls these things RV, 'Repair Vehicle.'
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

If you really need to get someone's attention, put on a set of 3 or 4 tube "Train Horns". It will instantly get the attention of all within 100 feet. I love it.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

if we weren't working on our RV's what else would we have to do? Go clothes and souvenir shopping with DW?

jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote