Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Air Intake Restriction

We purchased a 2005 Inspire 36' with a 400 Cat about 2 years ago. One of the first things I noted was a high intake restriction on the gauge. I installed a new filter thinking it may be clogged. Every time I pulled a hill, the restriction gauge maxed out. I have checked every inch of the intake system and cannot find anything that would cause a restriction. I changed the filter again thinking the filter was causing the problem. 'Still have same situation. I installed a new restriction gauge with no improvement. I have been thinking the outside air intake could be the culprit. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
We purchased a 2005 Inspire 36' with a 400 Cat about 2 years ago. One of the first things I noted was a high intake restriction on the gauge. I installed a new filter thinking it may be clogged. Every time I pulled a hill, the restriction gauge maxed out. I have checked every inch of the intake system and cannot find anything that would cause a restriction. I changed the filter again thinking the filter was causing the problem. 'Still have same situation. I installed a new restriction gauge with no improvement. I have been thinking the outside air intake could be the culprit. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

What is the size of the input and output of the filter? The intake tubing should be approx the same. If the tubing is necked down either before or after the filter then the restriction is likely the tubing and not the filter.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

My Airstream is just the same - always sits close to the red mark on the filter minder. New filter and it is a bit lower, but within a couple of weeks it is back up again.

Problem is the filter size is small for the engine - and the air intake is low down just behind drive wheels.
The cost - $150 - doesn't encourage regular change
Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

I have been looking at the small intake box on the side of mine thinking, "that's got to be restricting flow," not sure how to prove it or improve it though.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

Could be a bird has built a nest inside the tube that goes from the box to filter. If you have put a chip in it to increase the hp that will also cause it to do that.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The following link should be of help.

http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/3375362...EBW4969-04.pdf
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
As Dale stated the builders of these MH's put the smallest filter and air intake inlet they can.
In some cases one can change it to a much improved system however one has to take the measurements of the intake opening, size of intake hose to filter and any elbows, filter size and CFM rating, and filter outlet size to turbo.
The most common faults found are intake opening to small, connecting hose used to filter ribbed flex hose or to small, filter to small, filter output hose to turbo to small.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Air Intake Restriction

If I remember correctly, the inlet and outlet are both 6". I will have some time tomorrow and I will measure both. Also, thanks for the Cat bulletin! I will read it and see if mine conforms to their guidelines. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas!
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

I'm not trying to say that anyone here is right or wrong, but I will say that - in my experience - filter gauges are borderline worthless. They very rarely display a proper reading of the filter. I've seen trucks throw a code for an air intake system restriction because the air filter had over 1/8" of dirt build up on it, but the gauge read it was a like new filter. I've also seen the opposite, filter was new and the gauge shows it's clogged.

Just my $0.02.