Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air leveling question, still learning

The air leveling system usually works fine for me but occasionally it seems to 'get lost', or perhaps it is me. This is how I was instructed by the dealer (during PDI) to level:

1. with engine running, push 'air' button twice for automatic leveling. Once the 'leveling' indicator comes on, I can shut off the engine and the coach will continue to level. Pushing the 'air' button once lets me level manually. No need to 'dump' air prior to leveling.

In a CC document I located on the web, it was noted by one of their engineers that it is OK to dump air prior to leveling and, in fact, will usually keep the steps closer to the ground and may minimize coach wiggle on the air bags.

However, today I dumped air with engine running, hit the 'air' button twice to auto level, and things got goofy. The green 'leveling' indicator came on but I could tell the coach was not leveling. I shut the HWH system off and started over and did not dump air before hitting the air button twice. Again, the green 'leveling' message appeared on the dash but two yellow lights remained on indicating a low side and low rear position. AT the same time, I could not deploy any of the HWH controlled slides (the one Power Gear slide worked fine).

I hit the HWH reset switch on the dash, re-started the engine, put the leveling system in 'Travel' mode, and tried again. This time the coach auto leveled and, once completed, all the slides worked.

So, long story.....does dumping the air confuse the leveling system?

I will say that in my current location with the rear of the coach elevated a bit to get level, it wiggles a bunch when walking around.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
I have always shut off the engine prior to leveling--no need for it to be on. Unless you are on perfectly level ground, you need to have some air in the air bags to level the coach. Yes, the coach moves a bit, but we don't see that as a problem. It has happened the system gets confused--despite what they say, computer aren't that smart!

USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I level on fairly level ground, I find the system actually drops fairly low on it's own. No need to "Dump Air". In fact the one time I did dump the air, my system was "confused" as well. I pull in or back in, then push the button twice, then manually do whatever small correction is needed (by low yellow indicator) then shut down. My steps are generally fairly close to the ground. The only time the steps are high is when the site is not level and the passenger front is lower. Then I have to use an auxiliary step.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Since my little electric compressor seems to work hard to raise the attitude of the coach when the engine is not running, I always level the rig with the engine running.

I then turn off the engine and dump the air. The result is that steps are closer to the ground and little or zero adjustment to leveling is needed after dumping the air.

But.....I have no slide-outs in the mix, so may be too simple.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Parked for overnight now. Stopped, left engine running, hit air button twice, coach leveled in about 30 seconds. Did not dump air. All is well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on your specific Air Leveling System, the dump air is a separate function from the Auto-Leveling function.

The confusing part is having the engine running or not. When dumping air first with the engine running the system attempts to air up the coach to Ride-Height to turn the Green light on. With the engine OFF this will not happen.

Turn the engine off, dump air, push air leveling on, push once again to have it enter into the AUTO-Level mode and then let it do its thing.

My auto air leveling system never gets the coach exactly as level as I want it to be so I always use the manual buttons along with a set of bubbles located on a small shelf in the middle of the coach.

I have the HWH system which should be the same as yours.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote