Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air leveling, weak compressor??

On our most recent trip, after about two days of sitting, the 'excess slope' light came on and we could not move any of the HWH slides. I had to start the engine, air up and re-level the coach. During that time, I had heard the little 12V compressor run but I suspect it may not be able to keep the coach level.

Has anyone replaced the compressor and, if so, what did you use. I seem to remember reading there was a plug-and-play replacement from another manufacturer that was better/stronger than the OEM.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

On our compressor, their is a glass bowl. This can sometimes get moisture build up, and dry into a hard crystalized type substance. It's possible that you have some blockage, that a good cleaning will take care of.

That being said, the compressed is a bit anemic, especially compared with the air power with the engine running! So is best for minor resetting when slightly off. (My DW calls it the Wake The Dawg 2:30AM alarm - as it would usually go off in the middle of the night!).

We usually set up at a camp, and once level, hit the reset to turn off the leveling. After a few days, we'll turn on the ignition (ours has to be on, in order to reactivate the leveling), and let it do it's thing as needed. We seem to settle a bit more towards the front drivers side, so assume we have a more gradual leak from that corner.)

Not being my normal long winded self, I will now answer your question: I do not know of a replacement air compressor of more power, for our units!

Best,
Smitty

Old 04-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Smitty, I will check the bowl. I replaced the filter in the bowl last year but I haven't really looked at it recently.

I remember the first trip with the coach and I was taking the dogs out late at night when there was a large and loud air escape from the rear that frightened both me and the dogs. I had no idea what was going on. I later learned that the leveling system will release or add air as necessary. I haven't tried turning the system off once level but will start doing that. I do know that once the system thinks you have excess slope, none of the three HWH slides will move until the coach is re-leveled.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

This is what I did to fix the small and lacking supplemental air compressor;

Viair Compressor

Barney
07 Inspire 52059

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
On our most recent trip, after about two days of sitting, the 'excess slope' light came on and we could not move any of the HWH slides. I had to start the engine, air up and re-level the coach. During that time, I had heard the little 12V compressor run but I suspect it may not be able to keep the coach level.

Has anyone replaced the compressor and, if so, what did you use. I seem to remember reading there was a plug-and-play replacement from another manufacturer that was better/stronger than the OEM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like you have some decent size leaks in your leveling system.
I'd be more concerned with that, than the aux compressor.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #6

Barney - Thanks for sharing this. Interesting how a smaller looking unit, can put out more air!

Does that unit handle airing the big rig tires too? At our vacation home, I have a Craftsman Pancake Fan, rated at 120 CFM. To air my tires up to 110, I need to stop once the compressor kicks back on, and with for the tank to build up full pressure again. Usually two or three cycles like this needed to reach tire PSI.

I did have I think it's called the Dickson(SP?) Air Doubler. Bought it from a fellow CC owner that was coming off the road. And have it mounted in the same cabinet as you show. Keep meaning to play with it to be sure it works off to he engine air, but never have done so. Have 50' of hose too.

I have a Viair looking rebranded as a Husky, runs on 120V. And I use this for the Toad's tires, bikes, and other times I need air. Works pretty slick. Need to look at the spec's, as I don't recall what it's output is.

Thanks for sharing how you added more PSI to your system.
Smitty
Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #7

I replaced the compressor in my 2000 Magna with a Viair 330C-IG. I went with the 330C because it is a continuous duty pump and has a current draw similar to the Thomas that came with the coach. I didn't want to have to run larger wires and replace the fuse for a higher capacity pump.

The original Thomas pump draws about 11 amps while the Viair draws about 12 amps. The Viair has about 3 times the output capacity at 100 psi as the Thomas. I have yet to have an occasion when the Viair has not leveled the coach except when in a truly out of level condition.

Although the Viair has 3 times the capacity, it still takes awhile to level the coach but at least it does accomplish the task.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Air suspension system malfunction - 2007 country coach tribute

Hello,

I have a 2007 country coach Tribute that keeps losing air pressure in the HWH leveling system. While parked, the coach will stay level for a few days but then lose air pressure and lean to one side.

My local RV facility has made a valiant effort to locate and repair the problem. They tell me they find and repair leaks thinking the problem is solved ... only to have it resurface a few days later.

I am trying to educate myself on how the system works. I understand the HWH computerized leveling system uses airbags to level the coach but I am unclear if this system is separate and apart from the "Ride Height" air suspension system.

If this problem occurs on the road, can I manually pump air into the deflated airbag with the appropriate UP arrow key on the HWH control panel?

Below is a link to the Manual for the HWH SYSTEM 2000 COMPUTERIZED LEVELING SYSTEM. Does anyone know if the SYSTEM 2000 is the leveling system installed on my coach?

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml30739.pdf

Many thanks in advance for any helpful information you may be able to provide.

Joe Allen
2007 Country Coach Tribute 260 No: 81058
FMCA Number: F448516
CCI Number: 8198
Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #9

"If this problem occurs on the road, can I manually pump air into the deflated airbag with the appropriate UP arrow key on the HWH control panel?"

You can but it is a little more involved. What you have to do is have the coach stopped,engine running, in neutral, and parking brake set. From there, you can use the arrow keys to adjust the system to get the coach at ride height.

A quick easy way to check the correct height is now, while everything is working and the coach is on level ground, measure the distance from the wheel well to the ground. Record that distance and use it when you adjust to ride height. This is a quick and easy to do it but at the first chance, you should adjust the height using the mfg procedure.

NOW, after getting the coach to ride height,you have to pull the correct fuse to shut off the HWH leveling system. I don't know which fuse in your system so take a look at your fuse panels and if you can't find it easily, then pull out the wiring schematics.

After you pull the fuse, the coach will stay where you put it when you measured the wheel well distances. If you put the coach into drive before pulling the fuse, the ride height adjustment you just did will be lost.

FYI, you have three ride valves, one in the front and two in the rear
Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

Sounds like a valve is leaking.

You can use manual control to raise all 4 corners as high as they will go.

Now place masking tape on your bumper on each corner and draw a line on it with sharpie.

Carefully measure the distance from ground to the line and write it on the tape with sharpie.

Remeasure often and see which one moves.

That one has the leaking valve.

Look under without getting under to locate valve and lines and spray sospy water on the valve.

There should be an exaust line on the height valve and if it is not seating and leaking it will blow bubbles there.

Do NOT get under unit unless you have suitable jackstands.

Tags
compressor, leveling