Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Air Suspension stages

While getting work accomplished on our coach the lead tech was telling me about a CC they had worked on breaking the rear shocks off their mounts. While trouble shooting Google and CC techs, he found that there are three stages of air suspension for CC. This one was set for the highest setting so of course going over the road there was no room for the coach to extend when necessary, breaking the shock mounts. Does anyone know anything about this comment?

TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Your mechanic is wrong about the 3 stages. All CC's have a designated ride height. The broken shock mounts only applied to certain models with the tag axle. CC did have a fix for it and as far as I know, there haven't been any more incidences of broken shocks. In later production, a redesign of the chassis eliminated the problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
CC did have a fix for it and as far as I know, there haven't been any more incidences of broken shocks. In later production, a redesign of the chassis eliminated the problem.
Our rig had one totally broken Koni shock and the other one leaking and bent on the drive axle when Cummins in Portland got done with it.

We were also told that CC had cured the problem, but I guess Cummins found a way!

One CC I looked at had a yellow strap wrapped around the upper and lower shock mounts to keep the shock from overextending.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #4

"One CC I looked at had a yellow strap wrapped around the upper and lower shock mounts to keep the shock from overextending."

That was the "official" CC fix.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure what CC changed then as Cummins ruined two of our FSD's on the drive axle while it was there. Still trying to fix the damage they did.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Your mechanic is wrong about the 3 stages. All CC's have a designated ride height. The broken shock mounts only applied to certain models with the tag axle. CC did have a fix for it and as far as I know, there haven't been any more incidences of broken shocks. In later production, a redesign of the chassis eliminated the problem.
Improper jacking can break the drive axle shocks.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Improper jacking can break the drive axle shocks.

Country Coaches with tags do not have jacks.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Country Coaches with tags do not have jacks.
I mean when improperly jacking the rear to change tires with an external Jack.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

Ok thanks to all of you for your input. Just wanting to make sure. My front ends seems to bottom out a lot so I am assuming that it is the Koni shocks. I just had the front lined up and they said all was good though.
Sorry about your CC Mr. D as I know you have had issues since you bought yours. I wish you better in the future with it. You might want to think about the factory looking at it if you are going that way. Hopefully their techs under new management are well trained. Again thank you all
Old 03-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Ok thanks to all of you for your input. Just wanting to make sure. My front ends seems to bottom out a lot so I am assuming that it is the Koni shocks. I just had the front lined up and they said all was good though.
Sorry about your CC Mr. D as I know you have had issues since you bought yours. I wish you better in the future with it. You might want to think about the factory looking at it if you are going that way. Hopefully their techs under new management are well trained. Again thank you all
Is the ride height adjusted properly? Shocks just try to control the ride/bounce/roll. If it is bottoming out, sounds like soft air bags??
Old 03-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGAXLE View Post
Ok thanks to all of you for your input. Just wanting to make sure. My front ends seems to bottom out a lot so I am assuming that it is the Koni shocks.
check the front air height valve. i had to replace it once because of that.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

On broken shocks on some years of CC. The 'Range Extender Strap' and/or 'A chain', were available to add on. (Me, I changed the shocks over to Road Kings. They have so far been 'robust' enough to handle any 'over extension' of the air leveling system!)

On a ride that includes front end bottoming out. As mentioned, get things looked over - leveling as well as ride height. I know that some earlier years of CC, thanks to National's input, had shocks that were not up to the job of controlling the IFS. Our 04 40' Allure had Koni SP1 Adjustable shocks as OEM. Both CC's 'Alumni' staff, and Koni, strongly argued that the chosen shocks were not going to do the job... But, National knew better... Your year coach may still have the next generation Adjustable, the Koni SP2. (Sorry I do not know.) If they are the SP2, then they too are probably working too hard to do the job. Look into the SP3 generation, a good shock and can handle the job. Or also check with Koni on if the "99" shock might be a good choice for you - if available. And of course, Road Kings are also a good choice, IMO, for the front end.

Best,
Smitty
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

Thanks Smitty. Mine are not adjustable and I again will get with Koni after going over the ride height etc. I appreciate everyone's input
Old 03-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I mean when improperly jacking the rear to change tires with an external Jack.
Cummins was rebuilding the engine, not changing tires and they still broke both drive axle shocks.

Tags
suspension