Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #29

Bill,
When I first bought my coach cruising down the road it was purging about every 15 min.

I agree it would be nice to hear from others to see how theirs is doing.

Manual says that the compressor is designed to run 20% of the time.

Whatever I find out at CC I will be sure to pass it along.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #30

Brett,

Any word?
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #31

Well I took the coach into CC this morning, Eric found a pretty good leak that was off the wet tank. It was another check valve.

He did say that these rapid response ride height valves do use a lot of air. They do come off the wet tank which is pretty small. He hooked up a gauge on that tank and watched it as he went down the road. He thought that it was acting normal, but adding more capacity is something that could be done.

On my drive from JC to Sisters, OR it was purging about every 90 seconds on hard turns and several minutes on straight stretches.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #32

Thanks Brett. Busy packing up, so no time to play with it.

Safe return.

Tom
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #33

On my trip home today I was coming out of a sharp turn when the coach started to handle strangely. Looked down and the HWH monitor was showing low on the rear and passenger side. I pulled off to the side of the road and after about a minute the lights on the monitor turned back off. After checking things over I continued on my way home with no issues.

I think that may be my problem with my air system over cycling. A bad ride height valve that is probably leaking air. Back two are original to the coach.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #34

We have a 04 Essex which has had a air leak for 5 years which I had had 2 Spartan shops and twice to Spartan factory with over 3K dollars spent and each time was told that air problem was fixed. I myself have at least 6 times checked all air connections. The air drier had a major air leak which wouldn't even let the coach built up air so I replaced the complete air drier and no air leaks. The air drier was the problem the whole time. I didn't hear air leaks at the drier and to the best of my knowledge no ever check the air drier. Do check air drier for leaks. Could by pass drier and then watch your air gauges to see if you still have air leak.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #35

Tom,
I've had my drier replaced twice. They also put a gauge on the wet tank and no air pressure loss. The gauge only went down when he started to drive down the road.

Would removing the fuses for the ride height control valves then going for a drive tell me anything?

Old 08-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #36

Brett I am not aware of ride control valves being on 12 or 120 volt electric system. It is a lever with a rod that is attached to the chassis and ride valve that when the ride height gets a little it adds more air to keep the coach at the same height. On our Spartan chassis it has 2 ride height valves in the front and one in the rear. From other irv2 readers the ride height valve has been an issue and you would want to check that out. I used 4 by 12 boards to get the whole coach up in the air so I could go under it because you check the ride valves when coach is at ride height which doesn't give you enough space. Air leaks can really be a problem and I thought I was going to have to live with it till the air drier had to be replaced and that fixed my 5 year problem.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #37

Brett One more thing with our new air drier and no leaks are coach will run for a hour without an air purge. It can sit for 3 weeks and when I turn the key the air is over 125 and the coach is a ride height and read to move in 15 sec.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #38

Tom,
I have let the coach run as long as 45 min. with no purge. I let it run with air brake on, then air brake off in neutral, and air brake off and in drive with the wheels chalked.

The only time it will over purge is driving down the road.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #39

IMHO, I believe the MH builder is connecting the air suspension to the wrong tank.

If the suspension supply was connected to either the primary or secondary tank, it would increase the capacity, by combining the wet tanks volume, with it.

As it's setup now, no air can come back into the wet tank from the rest of the system, due to check valves, and you are limited to the capacity of the smallest tank.

Increasing capacity would lengthen the time between compressor cycles.

Another option is to add a tank, supplied by a protection valve, somewhere on the chassis. My understanding is that some MHs have a 4th tank for suspension air.

The compressor may run longer, each cycle, but with the constant waste of air, filling and purging the dyrer, it may be negligible.

Just thinking out loud.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #40

Twinboat,
That was a suggestion as well from CC. I guess the Magna had a different air system with a tank just for the ride height valves. The Intrigue and Allure were the same.

At least with a separate tank you would think that it would be easier on compressor as it won't be cycling so often. Eric at CC said that it took only 11 sec. for the wet tank to go from 105 psi to 125 psi as he was monitoring it as he went down the road.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I would have to agree also. Having suspension straight off wet without another tank sounds like it would cause compressor to run more.
Add in an air leak or faulty valve and it would go downhill fast.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #42
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
IMHO, I believe the MH builder is connecting the air suspension to the wrong tank.

If the suspension supply was connected to either the primary or secondary tank, it would increase the capacity, by combining the wet tanks volume, with it.

As it's setup now, no air can come back into the wet tank from the rest of the system, due to check valves, and you are limited to the capacity of the smallest tank.

Increasing capacity would lengthen the time between compressor cycles.

Another option is to add a tank, supplied by a protection valve, somewhere on the chassis. My understanding is that some MHs have a 4th tank for suspension air.

The compressor may run longer, each cycle, but with the constant waste of air, filling and purging the dyrer, it may be negligible.

Just thinking out loud.
From my plumbing diagram it looks like Country Coach uses two tanks. Each tank has two separate parts to it. One side is larger than the other. The Wet Tank appears to be the larger potion of the first one. The smaller portion along with the smaller portion of the other tank look like they are linked, equaling the primary portion of the air system. The larger portion of the second tank appears to be the secondary portion of the air system.

I agree that adding another tank connected to the wet tank would help.

When I first purchased my RV I added motion control units. They made a big difference in handling. I would imagine these mcu units would slow down the air going in and out of the air bags and slow down air usage. I didn't own the coach long enough to tell if it made a difference in cycling times.

Bill