Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Alignment Actual vs Spec's

Looking for input on my alignment.
Last year I had my coach aligned. However, when I compare my alignment to the Country Coach specifications for my Holland-Nuway IFS I think there may be room for improvement. I feel as though the tendency to wander, although not bad, may be improved with alignment.
I've attached my specification sheet. I'm looking for input from any source with alignment experience/expertise.
Thank you
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
ATTACHMENT:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
no attachment

Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Our Inspire was road wandering pretty bad after new tires and alignment. Aftter studying the specs and actuals I decided to try more toe in and put a half a turn in on both sides. The wandering issue nearly disappeared, I am monitoring tire wear but there are no early signs of any effect. Actually considering putting just a little more in to see if it eliminates the remaining wander.
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

Increasing toe-in has cured wandering in two units we have had and no increase in tires wear. Both Freightliners and 1/8" toe-in more than specs show.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Alignment

Thanks, I think I'll try a little more toe in.
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several things affect motor home handling.. One of the most important is tire pressure, IT MUST be the proper pressure for the load the tire is holding up.. This is almost never the number molded on the side wall nor is it often the number on the sticker inside the motor home.. The only way to find it is to get your 4 corner weights and look it up..

http://www,rv-safety.com

has a service that will do the "grunt work" for you. they bring scales to you by the way.. And look up the tire chart, and check your tire gauge and so on The price, though higher than a scale house, is reasonable.

Next are 3 handling improvements

Trac Bar
Sway Bar
Steering stablizer

I will start with Sway Bars... RV's tend to be a touch top heavy, they like to rock side to side (Think of the fans at a "Save the world" Concert swaying side to to side in step with the music) Sway bars are a standard part of every chassis, but many are a bit anemic, thus companies make stronger after market add-ons.

Trac Bar.. RVs usually have spring suspension and solid front axles.. With Leaf Spring suspension the body can move a bit side to side over the axle. When (not if) this happens as your are driving it causes the RV to, well, Wag, like a dog's tail wagging side to side.

Track Bars positively LOCK the body centered over the axle. They do not allow movement.

Independent front suspension.. Does not need a FRONT track bar

Strut suspension includes trac bars so do not need them

Neither is common on motor homes.

Finally a steering stablizer.. This is a device that basically helps to hold the wheel in the "Straight Ahead" position.

I put a Trac Bar (just one) and a Blue Ox Tru-Center on this RV in 2006

Jan 2 2006 I left for Las Vegas pulling a 1992 Chevy Lumina, When I got to LV it was nice driving that Lumina,, I mean the RV was.. Not a fund drive.

Returning home to Detroit I added the track bar (Davis) and True-Center.

Left again for Vegas just prior to Thanksgiving.. When I got there, that Lumina (Same Lumina) was very hard to drive.. I mean the handling was nasty compared to the motor home.

Same car
Same motor home
Same driver (ME)
Just added the Trac Bar and stabilizer.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Let us know if it helps Ron. Hope it works for you!

Mine is #51477 so they should be pretty similar.

Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote