Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 AM   #1

All batteries were discharged, why?

So here is something new to me with a new to us coach. All has been well until yesterday. The gear box in our fantastic fan must have gone bad so the motor was just running trying to close the vent and not tripping the switch to signal it being closed. The coach is parked and doesn't usually run the batteries down. I went in the coach and discovered that all the batts were dead. Now I know the fan works off of the house batteries but why did the chassis batt. drain all the way? Is my echo charger defective? Is my switch for the battery boost or relay bad? I have yet to troubleshoot everything but good thing we weren't dry camping or I would have been in trouble, engine and gen wouldn't start and jumping this thing from a totally dead battery was a real PITA. Any ideas?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How long was the coach parked?

My Allure has a chassis battery disconnect switch but had no real house battery disconnect. Even with the house battery switch inside the coach (salesman's switch) off, there are still parasitic drains on both battery banks. If the coach sits for days or more than a week without being connected to shore power, the batteries will get low. I have now installed a heavy duty battery disconnect for the house batteries.

I suspect the continuously running fan lift motor ran your house batteries down. If you did not shut off your chassis battery switch, suspect parasitic loads ran it down.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't know about the batteries dying but about the fan. There is an el cheapo aluminum piece that connects the motor to the gear raising mechanism. The teeth in this piece strips out and then it doesn't work. Really sucks as the replacement is about 32 bucks.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #4

So. I have house and chassis disconnect battery switches which were both left on. I almost always open and close coach each day to keep it aired out. We had a couple days of rain so I didn't visit it and check batteries. It can sit without any huge drain on batteries and when it gets low I plug it in or run the generator. It is at my shop so can't always plug it in. Anyway it sat for maybe three days and this happened and yes the motor drained the batteries. Just don't know why the chassis battery died. Maybe the echo charger is bad? It sucks because all the batteries are brand new and I have been keeping an eye on them so they don't discharge.

And I will check the splined thing in the fan. I did replace the motor cover so I noticed what you are describing. Thanks for that info.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 10-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #5

Hey there rv land, I answered my own question. Here it is: So long story short there are several positive wires that connect to the chassis battery. One for the accessories such as running lights etc. One for other fused items like the cord and hose reel. Now the one that has the lights etc. is also the key switch feed. The one that was not connected properly is a large one that goes directly to the starter. So the starter lead was connected to the house battery and not the chassis battery. Anyway simple mistake. Now I know!
2007 Subaru Outback

Tags
batteries