Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have to tow the rig and have Good Sam or Coach-net road service membership, do call them for towing first. They have responded to my home and storage yard for road service even though I was not "on the road".

Best $100 per year I spend in Motorhoming.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #16

Thanks dean, I am a rv aaa member, does that compare to your suggestion for a tow, which I am getting very close to?

Ok so I am glutton for punishment, tore into the engine compartment, cleaning all connections, tracing wires. but this one box i can not find anywhere, Anyone know where I can find the VIM box? I found the allison ECU which had a couple of those small black box doohickeys next to it, just like the VIM box has pictured, But I do not see the VIM box anywhere. So I have a Feeling that is going to be the problem, either a doohickey, a fuse or corrosion. Because it is turning out to be the last place I've looked.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #17

Since you are a member of SoCal AAA and the vehicle is there, give them a try for a free tow.

If traveling out of their area, you may find less co-operation as others have. Personally, I would switch my coverage to Coach-net or GS.

Coach-Net and Good Sam Road Service plans are good all over North America. They cover your cars and the cars you are driving also.

Our rig has been towed three times in 11 years. Each tow was prompt, well done, and each would have cost over $1,000 but were no charge. One by GS and two by Coach-net.

Also, Coach-net has certified folks at the other end of the phone line that can try to resolve a problem like you are having for free. If that is not possible, and you are not in a safe place you have the choice of road service or tow. You pay for the repairs and materials but the call out or tow is free.

At this point, you know more about the Allison and its components than I do given your explorations.

But, have you raised your dash panel that the shift pad sits in and wiggled the wires connected there to check for a loose connection?

Maybe that VIM thing hides in that console also?

That is where I found my ICC light board that vexed our machine for almost two years.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #18

Good advice on the tow, I will definaely consider.

The VIM, I have looked everywhere obvious. Time to dig, I will slide the generator tomorrow to see where the wires go and hopefully find it close to an easy access point. I am very Leary about crawling under the coach since I am not blocked up. Already crushed a couple plastic boxes, lesson learned. Love tinkering and being prepared for worst.

Thanks for all the help and sharing your experience. It means a lot to newbies like me.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #19

Called coach-net, account is activated tomorrow. Nothing more I can do.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #20

So I signed up for coach-net.com and such a better experience than with my aaa account. The tech support was very helpful, when we could not fix it over the phone. They ordered a tow truck and setup the delivery to the repair shop. A very qualified shop that dean also recommended. Everything was scheduled and I did not have to worry about a thing. The Tow company out of San Diego were very helpful and took great care of my coach. So far I am very pleased and would recommend coach-net.com to everyone with a Motorhome.

Much different experience from the other road side assistance accounts we have had, 3 times with different vehicles we have been left stranded to fend for ourselves. This made rv'ing a stressful adventure. I have a feeling our adventures are going to be much more relaxing knowing these guys have our back if there is ever a problem.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #21

Wow, that tow appears to be 100+ miles one-way or 200 miles portal to portal. I would guess that was a $1,000 tow even though done during normal business hours.

I assume the drive shaft was removed. Our experience is the tow company does not like to re-install the drive shaft. So Valley Power will likely charge you for that service.

Hope the repair service works out for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #22

Yes they pulled the drive shaft. Turns out it was the ecu (trans computer) running the old 2002 program upgrading to the 2008 program. What ever that means. They wanted $3000 for this ECU but I called around and found one for $950. It is a refurbished unit which should be fine, RIGHT?... Well they also said they found the power to the front was dropping off so they were going to investigate that a little since that could have blown the original ECU.

The electrical was perfect before dropping off at the mechanic to fix the exhaust manifold, transmission seal leaking, engine seal leak, replace the charge air cooler and wire the exhaust brake & new shocks... As I am driving away from the mechanics after all this work being done. Leaving the mechanic driveway Electrical issues begin all of a sudden, tranny keeps shutting off as I drive, then I blow the ECU? WOW, how unlucky is that?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #23

That is a bit strange. I suspect my 1995 ECU has not had a software upgrade, but does not know it needs one. But it seems to be happy..

Electrical issues in vehicles can be very stressful on pocketbooks and owners. Hope it is something simple and you can be on the road soon.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #24

Thanks dean, yes we are on the road now, made it to the campground last night (santee lakes) neat camp ground. We were here a few years ago, looks like they did some upgrades themselves.

So the ECU was $950 and the technicians to go through the system to check out what the cause of the burn out was $600. Suppose I will never really know what the cause was but I hope it does not return. (Knock on wood). Just happy to be camping again with the wife and kids, out making memories.

Tags
allison