Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Come on Gary - don't cut corners now. I'm sure a chrome option is available to wrap that power cord!!

Like the addition, dresses it up quite nicely. Reminds me of some of the 2000's era Beaver Patriots.

Good looking combo on your rig!
Smitty
Thanks. Normally, DW thinks I am frivolous when I put things like this on the coach. In this case, it was her idea. When we were at Tom Johnson's finalizing the purchase, she saw a King Aire and an American Eagle with the trim. She commented that it would look really nice on our Allure. My comment was, I agree but it will be expensive. Actually, I saved about $800-$900 by installing it myself.

The folks at Summit told me their business had really grown with the expanding class A market. Winnebago uses their flat 4" trim on Tour's and Ellipse, Newmar is a good customer as is Entegra. However, I saw two new Entegra Cornerstones recently at Myrtle Beach and was surprised that they are using the flat 4" trim. It looks OK but it is not as nice as the Premier that has a radius at the bottom and really hugs the compartment door. Surprised that Entegra uses the cheaper stuff on a coach with a msrp of nearly $600K.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #16

Gary, thanks for the pictures. I'm in the middle of a Jeep build now, but when back in MN visiting family next summer we're not far from Altoona and will go have a look.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Yes.
Won't that eventually mar the paint?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Well, the stainless trim is pretty much permanent. It is held on with Sika 252 and 3M VHB trim tape so it isn't likely to come off. So, I really don't care much about the paint now under the trim. No different that trim on new cars that is held on with VHB tape.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland

Quote:
Well, the stainless trim is pretty much permanent. It is held on with Sika 252 and 3M VHB trim tape so it isn't likely to come off. So, I really don't care much about the paint now under the trim. No different that trim on new cars that is held on with VHB tape.

I meant the power cord rubbing on the back of your coach. LOL
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland

I meant the power cord rubbing on the back of your coach. LOL
Oh that....I just moved the cord out of the way to take the pic. Normally it hangs straight down and doesn't touch the coach.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Total miles traveled was 7,952, 1,012 gallons of fuel purchased, and 1,158 gallons consumed (from the Silverleaf trip gizmo). We averaged 7.4 mpg over all terrain. Best mpg was 9.4 on dead level ground with no wind heading east on I80 thru NE.
your coach is much newer than mine, maybe it's heavier. what was your most highway speed? the reason i am asking - if you were driving at a speed higher than 60-62mph, you might have room to improve fuel mileage a little. recently i finished my trip to canada. i logged everything. over 4348 miles, i used 484 gallons of fuel, which is about 8.98 mpg. in most highways, i drove about 62 mph or lower. other factors played the roles too. a big difference i am thinking, might be weight - you have 4 slides while i only have one; yours is much heavier...
Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
your coach is much newer than mine, maybe it's heavier. what was your most highway speed? the reason i am asking - if you were driving at a speed higher than 60-62mph, you might have room to improve fuel mileage a little. recently i finished my trip to canada. i logged everything. over 4348 miles, i used 484 gallons of fuel, which is about 8.98 mpg. in most highways, i drove about 62 mph or lower. other factors played the roles too. a big difference i am thinking, might be weight - you have 4 slides while i only have one; yours is much heavier...
I generally set my cruise at 62 - 64. On flat roads we were averaging 8.4 and up to 9 mph but we spent a good amount of time climbing mountains in WY, MT, Idaho and beyond. I weigh about 38K plus our CRV.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #23

Hi, On your journey west, when encountering uneven surfaces or dips on the highway, did you notice your coach porpoising/rocking from front to rear, and when traveling over expansion joints crossing bridges did your front end bottom out??

Peter
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter d View Post
Hi, On your journey west, when encountering uneven surfaces or dips on the highway, did you notice your coach porpoising/rocking from front to rear, and when traveling over expansion joints crossing bridges did your front end bottom out??

Peter

Hey Peter - Welcome to the board!! I can't answer for his Allure behaved handling wise, sure he'll pop in.

What year, model size is your Country Coach?

Under the National RV ownership era of CC. There was at least two years of 40' coaches that in some models had undersized shocks. For example our 2004 40', Tag, Allure model, had the Koni Adjustable SP1 (SP1 is the first generation of the adjustable.) This is the exact shock model that was added to my 28' Beam Front End F53 chassis. It was quite often overwhelmed trying to control the front end of the Independent Front Suspension 40' Allures. Even on the highest/firmest setting, porpoising and bottoming out occured. (On the bottoming out, setting the front end to the high side of the specified settings by CC for the ride height, has been known to reduce bottoming out.)

I replaced my shocks all around with Road Kings. No porpoising, no bottoming out (height adjusted to the highest setting). I like the ride. Another option now available, is Koni has now come out with the Koni Adjustable SP3 (Third Generation of the Adjustable) that is more robust. Suspect they too would help on handling of the rig.

If you let this gang know your coach info, some real sharp people with a several years experience are available to provide input.

Best,
Smitty
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter d View Post

Peter
When we first got this coach in 2013, yes it did porpoise and bottom out in the front on drippy roads. The OEM shocks were the Koni FSD's. I had those on my previous 36' DP and had good luck with them but the FSD's are not stout enough for the heavy front end on the CC. Koni even confirmed that my front axle weight at 14K was too much for FSD shocks. I replaced the front shocks with Koni SP3 adjustable shocks and have them set one notch back from the most firm setting. We had no proposing (other than what I consider normal for a coach this heavy) and no bottoming out since installing the SP3's.

The coach has never leaned side-to-side excessively but I did add Henderson's motion control units (MCU) on the steer and drive axle air bags. The coach handles well.