Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allure fuel filling question

I've not had any issues with the high flow diesel pumps with my Allure until recently at a Flying J in SC (Latta exit, I-95). Even with careful modulation of the pump handle, I got tremendous back flow and fuel spilling. My next fill was at another high flow big truck island and I could run the nozzle wide open and no problem.

Was I just unlucky and picked a pump with a higher than normal fuel flow rate? I haven't used the J in a couple of years so have they upgraded their truck pumps to even higher flows? Will opening the fuel fill on the passenger side minimize this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

Opening up the opposite side could result in a major spill , you need to be able to see the only opening into the tank to prevent that.
From personal experience, even a slight slope of the coach side to side ; filler in use on the low side ; or high in the rear in particular can cause this problem.
Also my last fill at " J " I noticed that the fuel could be a % bio-diesel and I don't know if that contributes to the foaming of the fuel.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The high flow, large diameter nozzles seem better matched to the large opening direct into the tank designs of trucks. In Class A's they typically have a fill neck and connecting hose, sometimes a bend or two. I often have to 'throttle back' the nozzle by hand because even the first hold open notch is too fast. I have noticed that if the fuel island is tilted away from the pump (my fill side) I can fill a bit faster.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

I have been at a fueling site where another motorhome had the opposite fuel cap off and was fueling from the opposite side.

This is something you do not want to do. It creates a huge fuel spill in a hurry.

I have noticed that some truck pumps have faster flow than others. It is something we have to live with when using a tuck pump. Just throttle the pump back.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I have noticed that some truck pumps have faster flow than others. It is something we have to live with when using a truck pump. Just throttle the pump back.
X2!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #6

You may need to check the vent tube, mine had some undercoating in it and was causing a similar problem, could be a dirt dobber too. Vent is located in front of tank on driver side ,if my memory is working. I have no problem with the power nozzles. Good luck
Marvin, 07 allure 470, 31459
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
You may need to check the vent tube, mine had some undercoating in it and was causing a similar problem, could be a dirt dobber too. Vent is located in front of tank on driver side ,if my memory is working. I have no problem with the power nozzles. Good luck
Marvin, 07 allure 470, 31459

Marvin, I will check the tube. However, I've had no issue before or after this occurance with other pretty high flow commercial truck pumps. The fuel at this particular J was as lime green as I've ever seen so it may have had biodiesel in it. It really had a tendency to foam badly. The nozzle seemed to have only two speeds......wide open and stop . I had a hard time modulating the trigger.

Tags
fuel