Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allure inverter enclosure, ventilation concerns

My 2 year old ME inverter apparently has a fried FET board. I will be removing the inverter for replacement of the board or the entire unit.

My concern is heat produced in that area. There are two fans (in addition to the cooling fan in the inverter itself). One of the fans is mounted in the upper left of the enclosure and does not seem to move any air. The other, larger fan, is mounted in the lower right of the compartment and does seem to pull air from the enclosure into a space between the wall of the compartment and another wall behind the rear wheel. There are three holes in the upper back wall of the compartment that seem to be open to the space between the chassis rails. Nevertheless, the compartment seems very hot to me, especially due to the proximity of this area to the engine area.

I am curious of others with this same or similar set up have done anything else to improve airflow and cooling. I am thinking a hole drilled in the bottom of that space or maybe a hole in the compartment door with a nice set of stainless louvers on the outside.

I am thinking that heat contributed to an early board failure on this inverter. Magnum Energy told me that since I was the second owner, there was no warranty extended to me on this unit. However, I do have an ESP that I hope will cover the labor and parts for this repair.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

WOW they relay stuck that in there

i am not sure but the info on my inverter wants inside your house type temps

i would look at that type of info and where you like to camp

here in FL i would say help it as to not run so hot like a water cooling system from a computer there arond 125$ now and are 12v

you can find them at some big computer stores know it sounds funny but it would work for cooler the air inside the bay

if you like to camp in the cold i would think its ok

i would not cut any holes for cool air as if you ever drive in the rain there is alot to kill in there

Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My 2 year old ME inverter apparently has a fried FET board. I will be removing the inverter for replacement of the board or the entire unit.

My concern is heat produced in that area. There are two fans (in addition to the cooling fan in the inverter itself). One of the fans is mounted in the upper left of the enclosure and does not seem to move any air. The other, larger fan, is mounted in the lower right of the compartment and does seem to pull air from the enclosure into a space between the wall of the compartment and another wall behind the rear wheel. There are three holes in the upper back wall of the compartment that seem to be open to the space between the chassis rails. Nevertheless, the compartment seems very hot to me, especially due to the proximity of this area to the engine area.

I am curious of others with this same or similar set up have done anything else to improve airflow and cooling. I am thinking a hole drilled in the bottom of that space or maybe a hole in the compartment door with a nice set of stainless louvers on the outside.

I am thinking that heat contributed to an early board failure on this inverter. Magnum Energy told me that since I was the second owner, there was no warranty extended to me on this unit. However, I do have an ESP that I hope will cover the labor and parts for this repair.
Gary, my coach has a hole into the tire well,with a baffle over it, looks very similar to yours,no water comes in but dust does, I am planning to use like an a/c filter to cover that area, my xantrex lasted approx 6 yrs., just replaced in july with magnum 2812,, I think it is still too hot and too tight in there, a real bugger to hold it in place while installing, there aren't many other choices.. good luck,
Marvin,07 allure,31459
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Gary, my coach has a hole into the tire well,with a baffle over it, looks very similar to yours,no water comes in but dust does, I am planning to use like an a/c filter to cover that area, my xantrex lasted approx 6 yrs., just replaced in july with magnum 2812,, I think it is still too hot and too tight in there, a real bugger to hold it in place while installing, there aren't many other choices.. good luck,
Marvin,07 allure,31459
Marvin, do you not have a cooling fan that sucks air out of the compartment and blows it into the tire well? Mine at least has a thermostat controlled fan in that area. They had the T-stat set at 120F, I lowered it to 100F. I may just set it so it runs all the time.

I have an appointment with a local RV shop to R&R the inverter.....hope my ESP (Cornerstone) covers it. I am still pondering a hole cut thru the compartment door with another fan to suck more hot air out of that small area. And yes, I am sure it is a bear to lift that Magnum up to the location it is mounted. I installed a ME 2000 PSW in my previous coach and it was a bear and it was mounted on a shelf.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

You can find high flow low amp fans on line, 120 cfm @ .5 amps is good.

Place one blowing out at top of area or near inverter.

Then use dryer hose to route air from someplace outside the compartment to near the inverter.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
I
Marvin, do you not have a cooling fan that sucks air out of the compartment and blows it into the tire well? Mine at least has a thermostat controlled fan in that area. They had the T-stat set at 120F, I lowered it to 100F. I may just set it so it runs all the time.

I have an appointment with a local RV shop to R&R the inverter.....hope my ESP (Cornerstone) covers it. I am still pondering a hole cut thru the compartment door with another fan to suck more hot air out of that small area. And yes, I am sure it is a bear to lift that Magnum up to the location it is mounted. I installed a ME 2000 PSW in my previous coach and it was a bear and it was mounted on a shelf.
I do have 2 fans in the upper left corner, not sure about the temp setting,will check that, l had pondered the idea of the holes in the floor, let me know how they go...on second thought,maybe 3rd, l read somewhere someone used a dryer vent with the cover and a short piece of pipe turned up inside the compartment,no pictures,but a good idea ..Marvin
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I do have 2 fans in the upper left corner, not sure about the temp setting,will check that, l had pondered the idea of the holes in the floor, let me know how they go...on second thought,maybe 3rd, l read somewhere someone used a dryer vent with the cover and a short piece of pipe turned up inside the compartment,no pictures,but a good idea ..Marvin
Marvin, are you saying they put the dryer vent thru the compartment door? If I cut a hole in the door (which I am thinking is the best option since there is little other space inside the compartment to cut any holes), I plan to use some polished stainless louvers over the hole (similar to what is used on boats to cover ventilation openings. The short pipe turned up must be a plan to keep any water from entering the space???

I've attempted twice to post this question on the Yahoo CC forum with no success. Since Yahoo has done some sort of upgrade, I seem to be unable to post a new topic....I can respond to existing threads but new posts are not showing up.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:

Marvin, are you saying they put the dryer vent thru the compartment door? If I cut a hole in the door (which I am thinking is the best option since there is little other space inside the compartment to cut any holes), I plan to use some polished stainless louvers over the hole (similar to what is used on boats to cover ventilation openings. The short pipe turned up must be a plan to keep any water from entering the space???

I've attempted twice to post this question on the Yahoo CC forum with no success. Since Yahoo has done some sort of upgrade, I seem to be unable to post a new topic....I can respond to existing threads but new posts are not showing up.
Not exactly where they put the hole,do not think it was thro the door, not really sure, I checked my thermostat today on the fans, it is set to come on around 100 deg,I see no way to adjust the setting? Can bypass the thermo and run full time when using the inverter.
I too gave up on the Yahoo CC, I have advertisment covering half the page with no visable way to move it. I guess advertising is more important than us old RVers,maybe they will get it straight after awhile. I am interested in what method you use for cooling. Marvin
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not exactly where they put the hole,do not think it was thro the door, not really sure, I checked my thermostat today on the fans, it is set to come on around 100 deg,I see no way to adjust the setting? Can bypass the thermo and run full time when using the inverter.
I too gave up on the Yahoo CC, I have advertisment covering half the page with no visable way to move it. I guess advertising is more important than us old RVers,maybe they will get it straight after awhile. I am interested in what method you use for cooling. Marvin
Marvin, when I first got the coach, the little thermo switch was not working and my fan was not coming on at all. I got a replacement from a local refrigeration parts counter that is adjustable. I have it adjusted to about 85F or so. The ME install manual says to install the inverter in a space where temps do not exceed 77F but when I talked to the ME engineer, he admitted that was probably a bit of a stretch in a motorhome that travels in hot weather. I've pretty much decided to cut a 4" hole in the compartment door near the top and will put a nice polished stainless marine type louver over the opening. I am hoping that will allow enough fresh air to enter the space so the existing fan can keep the temp down. If that does not work, I will install a 4" axial fan on the inside of the door and experiment with either exhausting air out the door or pulling air into the door. I will let you know how it works.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #10

Hey Guys, I have had no problems with the Yahoo CC Owners site daily. But I access the site directly versus receiving it in an email digest.

I do not know the layout of your rigs, but could you pipe some air from inside the coach into that compartment? If you are cool, your inverter would be cool. And it would likely be a dry cool........
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Hey Guys, I have had no problems with the Yahoo CC Owners site daily. But I access the site directly versus receiving it in an email digest.

I do not know the layout of your rigs, but could you pipe some air from inside the coach into that compartment? If you are cool, your inverter would be cool. And it would likely be a dry cool........
Dean, I thought of doing that but doesn't look possible. I guess anything is possible but not really practical. There is a slim, very slim portion of the top of the compartment that is below the coach floor under the bedroom slide. However, getting air from inside the coach into that space behind the slide would be a real pain....not sure it is even possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #12

Ok just seemed more controlled than opening the compartment to outside influences like rain, mud puddles etc.

Also, I see on the Yahoo site an explanation posted today that you guys have been Neo'd.

You are the involuntary test members for Yahoo's roll out of a new system. Some folks have all the luck.......
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Ok just seemed more controlled than opening the compartment to outside influences like rain, mud puddles etc.

Also, I see on the Yahoo site an explanation posted today that you guys have been Neo'd.

You are the involuntary test members for Yahoo's roll out of a new system. Some folks have all the luck.......
Dean, I am developing a plan 'B' and will abandon the idea of creating an opening in the door. I got a nice stainless louver from West Marine and decided to tape the louver to the door, seal around the edges with tape, and mimic rain with a garden hose. Removed the louver and there was plenty of water on the door under the louver.

My plan B is to drill a hole in the very bottom of the enclosure which will allow a second exhaust fan installed in it to push air out into a lower battery area which is open at the bottom. However, that space seems well protected by both a wall and a large mud flap behind the tag axle tire. At least this area was fairly dry recently after driving in rain. I also plan to use a piece of 4" PVC extending down and rear-ward to discourage water entry, sort of a duct for the exhaust. If it doesn't pan out, I can always just remove the fan and cover the hole.

Tags
inverter, vent