Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amana Fridge

Wondering if any fellow CC owners with the Amana 22 cf side-by-side fridge have had any cooling issues. The freezer on the beast works great on the normal setting. However, the fridge seems to struggle intermittently. We have the fridge setting near to max and the best we get overnight is 30F. During the day when we are in and out of the thing, it seems to hover around 41. However, just a few days ago, it was holding 35 - 36.

I've dusted the coils at the bottom (that was fun) but it did not seem to help. I have the two little diffusers on the wall between the fridge and freezer side opened to the max.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm having visions of the folks at CC hauling it out thru the window when we get there in about a month.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #2

30 is below freezing. Not good in the refer. Especially down by the lettuce crisper.

41 seems about right if you are opening the door occasionally during the day.

Are your temp measurements of the air inside or some products kept inside the Refer?

The air will warm faster than the products.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

I have an earlier model of Amana fridge and found that the plastic enclosure around the adjustment knobs and the thermo coil [inside back wall of the fridge] were too close to the little inlet door that brings cool air over from the freezer to cool the fridge side. Thought about unrolling the coil a bit to get more separation for better reading of ambient temps in the fridge--but eventually just removed the plastic enclosure all together. Seems to work better with enclosure gone--temps on the fridge side seem to remain more consistent over time.
PS--think 41-42 degrees is about right--ref the markings on the fridge thermometer we bought some time ago.
PSS--if your model has an internal defrost cycle--you will tend to get slightly warmer temps on the fridge side--during the cycles--usually once or twice every 24hrs.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

Had similar issues with our, noticed temps varying more than normal and fridge temps going into the low 40's, use to be in the 38-39 degree range. Woke up one day two weeks ago and found water dripping out of the freezer from the ice maker, compressor had died. Had to get the fridge out so a technician could work on it, a major pain to get it out, got the new compressor put on and it works great now, removal and re-installation of fridge in our coach a major pain in the rear.

2016 Ford Taurus - Toad
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the tips. Like magic, the temp in the fridge is now 35 -36 (we like 36-37, same settings for our home fridge). Will keep an eye on it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

Mine died, $800 to repair, installing a Kenmore #51783, same exact measurments. $1,100
Installing tomorrow through the side emergency window. Take the doors off first, a lot easier to handle.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
TRY

Sounds like we are not alone in fridge issues. Appears our compressor is shot along with something else. Recommended by appliance repair shop that we replace....sounds like either the windshield needs to come out or the side window??? Anyone else replace their Amana...and if so, what did you replace with?

Thanks!!

TRY
2008 Country Coach Allure
Crane Prarie 45'
Old 09-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Hi Try,

In my Affinity I took it out the side emergency window.
Take the doors off first, lighter and easier to handle. I used my forklift , put the forks through the opening, laid the old one down and slid right out. The Kenmore is a touch narrower, I made a couple of brackets to hold it in.
Good luck. Let me know if you need any further help.

Tags
fridge