Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #1

An interesting discovery with our 1995 Country Coach Magna

I was changing out florescent tubes to LED's today, mind you it is hot out so I am running the ac, when to my surprise the ac goes off when I disconnect the ground to the light fixture.
Apparently in our coach and most likely many others the ground and neutral are daisy chained throughout the coach whether the system is 12v or 120v.
We had a problem with the rear ac in that it wouldn't start when turned on but would when we turned on a headboard light, tightened the grounds and low and behold the ac works every time now.
Hope this helps someone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Apparently in our coach and most likely many others the ground and neutral are daisy chained throughout the coach whether the system is 12v or 120v.
Kinda like that string of Christams lights in Gandpa's attic.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

Um..... you need to resolve that as it's not correct. I would suspect your unit is not properly grounded and more importantly neutral bonded to whatever power source you're using. Furthermore you need to determine if the behavior is same or different when plugged into shore power or using generator. You most likely have a "hot skin" issue, which can be deadly.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #4

It is the same plugged in as it is on the generator, near as I can tell they used the light fixtures as a junction box to tie the ground and neutral wires to each other for everything on the ceiling as well as the roof regardless of voltage. As I think about it and follow more wires it could be the thermostat ground and not the ac itself causing the trouble. This thing must have a million miles of wire and ten thousand wire nuts that have been bounced around for 20 years and it is shaping up like I will get to see every one of them before it is all settled. As far as the "hot skin", I cannot detect any voltage between the steel building I am plugged into and the frame of the RV, the shell is fiberglass. I am plugged into an outside outlet with a gfi breaker on it and it has not tripped. Being I started my search in the front, I will continue until I get to the rear and perhaps will be smarter then.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have found lots of grounding terminal strips in our 95 Magna also.

The challenge is to find them all.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote