Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #1

Anyone else get sewer smells underway...

Normally when we travel on steep bumpy grades. What happens in our situation is the traps empty out which allows gasses to back into the coach, so we toss a couple glasses of water into each drain to refil them and that stops the smell. We also pour water into zip lock bags and toss one on top of each drain, so if the trap goes dry we don't have to worry about the smell. Is this common?
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Normally when we travel on steep bumpy grades. What happens in our situation is the traps empty out which allows gasses to back into the coach, so we toss a couple glasses of water into each drain to refil them and that stops the smell. We also pour water into zip lock bags and toss one on top of each drain, so if the trap goes dry we don't have to worry about the smell. Is this common?
yes,it does happen.....but if you look under the sink...you will see a spring loaded cap then prevents this..but the spring wears out....can easily unscrew and replace....both Lowes and Home Depot carry them..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Here are some examples of the vents to which chuckster52 refers.

Also, here's a link to an article about holding tank odor control as it relates to plumbing.

Holding Tank Odor Control (Venting)

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

I will replace these tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys. I bet this will end my trouble.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If replacing the air admittance valves doesn't solve your problem, you may want to consider adding 360 Siphons to the exhaust vents for your black and gray tanks. These create a slight vacuum (through the venturi effect created by air moving over the airfoil shape... with NO MOVING PARTS!) in your tanks to ensure that odors can't get pulled into your coach.

Here's a video about them:
Old 07-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #6

Try closing all windows and running the AC. We had had times where air moving thru the coach will pull sewer smells up thru the commode. When we close all windows it would stop ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post

Start using Happy Camper. The problem will go away, really. I don't even get odors when dumping the tanks!

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water
Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Not sure what model coach you have but on our 2000 Intrigue I changed the one out under the bathroom sink and still had smell. Discovered a second one behind the vanity drawers for the shower. Replaced it and no problem with smell since. We also started using Happy Camper also.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue #11075
stkhlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Place drain plugs on each sink when in transit.

That prevents the grey tank gasses from coming up the drain itself, when the water that is normally always sitting in the p-trap is bumped out.

My coach has a kitchen and 1/2 bathroom sink plumbed into a black tank! Those drain plugs are the 1st thing I make sure are in place, (as well as draining my black tank if possible), before we leave.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
If replacing the air admittance valves doesn't solve your problem, you may want to consider adding 360 Siphons to the exhaust vents for your black and gray tanks. These create a slight vacuum (through the venturi effect created by air moving over the airfoil shape... with NO MOVING PARTS!) in your tanks to ensure that odors can't get pulled into your coach.

Here's a video about them:
If these gizmo's pull air out of the black tank, where does the replacment air, get into the black tank ?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #11

I have been using Happy Campers for years in both black and grey tanks. But every once in a while I would get that grey tank smell. I traced it to the washer and found the open drain stack so got some plumbers putty and sealed it off. Things were great for a while and back came the smell. Again from the washer area. So I ran the washer with a scoop of HC and the smell was gone.
Now it's part of the routine to run HC through the washer (no clothes) every couple months or so even if we are using the washer.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Start using Happy Camper. The problem will go away, really. I don't even get odors when dumping the tanks!

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water
Is that stuff a liquid? The instructions say use 1 oz for 30 gallons.

Also, do you have to buy that online, or can you get it locally in a store (CW,Walmart, etc.)?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's a powder. You disolve a scoop in a full toilet bowl with your toilet brush.
It works better than anything I've found .
I got it in a RV store in Quartsite. Wish I had picked up a few. I've never seen it sold here in Canada.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If these gizmo's pull air out of the black tank, where does the replacment air, get into the black tank ?
Basically, these "siphon" style vent caps make sure there's always a little suction pulling up on the vent stacks. That way, when you flush the toilet, a little air from the bathroom gets pulled downward INTO the tank... instead of smell from the tank floating up into your nose!

Tags
smell