Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Anyone use Scanguage D on 99 Country Coach?

I've heard that my 1999 Affinity Chateau has a common problem, the guages don't work right. Now my CAT diagnostic monitoring system stopped working after a year of intermittent failures. I'm going on a journey and obviously need to monitor engine temp, oil pressure and other information. I can't afford a $3000 glass dash and Scanguage D seems to fit the bill. Not sure where the port is or if the wire will reach.

Anyone use one of these Scanguages in an "old" Country Coach?

I bought this 99 almost 2 years ago and since its 17+ years old there are lots of little things happening all the time. But since I owned a Winnebago gasser previously I realize repairs are a constant thing in a house that hits every bump in the road. This coach is strong, powerful and well appointed, much better than most Coaches that are 8-10 years newer. But that computer system tho.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Don't use a scan gage but do use Silver Leaf's VMSpc program and their USB JIB to connect to a low cost windows tablet. I display coolant, transmission, and oil temperature, charging volts, boost pressure, torque, tach, road speed, transmission selected and current gear, cruise set speed, and various fuel and mileage gauges.

2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply

No issues on which plug to use on such an old coach?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenders View Post
No issues on which plug to use on such an old coach?
Lenders
On my '96 Cat 3126 powered coach the plug on the cord of the Scangauge D is plugged into the J1708 6 pin diagnostic port...which is located up under the dash, (above the drivers left foot).

SCANGAUGE D

SCANGAUGE D PLUG

J1708 DIAGNOSTIC PORT

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #5

I agree. Silverleaf is way to go! Installed mine last month! 1999 intrigue. Mine had a port right under drivers side dash. $309.00. And an old windows laptop!
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

If you can't find the port under the dash for the Silverleaf but can find the transmission connector, you can patch into that connector. That's what I've done on my 2000 Magna.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Lenders
On my '96 Cat 3126 powered coach the plug on the cord of the Scangauge D is plugged into the J1708 6 pin diagnostic port...which is located up under the dash, (above the drivers left foot).

SCANGAUGE D

SCANGAUGE D PLUG

J1708 DIAGNOSTIC PORT

Mel
'96 Safari

My diagnostic port is rectangular gray, not round. Any advice?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

You have the same one I do. It's called an ALDL connection port. (You will need the cable for a ALDL port). RVUpgrades.com will take care of you! Take off cap and look into it. Should have 4 live connectors (with wires in them). That's your connection! Plug and play. Cable end plugs into there- mount small adaptor box and plug other end into USB port on laptop. Good luck.
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
My diagnostic port is rectangular gray, not round. Any advice?
Lenders
I suggest you call Linear Logic, (the Scangauge D manufacturer), at 480-656-4089, and ask them how to connect their product to your coach.

Or contact them via email here:
Contact Us : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

I have a silverleaf on my CC now and I love it $$$$$ but I installed the ScanGauge on my previous 97 Allegro Bus with a 3126 Cat. I had to use the plug at the rear of the coach. Had to run a wire full length of coach but it wasn't that hard.
If you can afford $300 to $400 for the Silverleaf PC setup it's lots more fun than the ScanGauge. I found myself wanting more information on my first trip with the ScanGauge.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #11

Anyone use Scanguage D on 99 Country Coach?

Also have a Silverleaf system. And love it. But don't seem to get the coolant level. It always reads zero. It's a 2003 Dutch Star 41', with a 350 Cummins8.3 ISC. There's a sensor in the fill tank, but don't know if it's level or just low level alarm. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I do not want to pay for a Silver Leif upwards to $500 by time yu get a good notebook, mount and charger and the Adapter from SL.
My Scangauge - d has served me well since 2013.
By the way,, oil gauge is useless on a 3126B,E and C-7. The ECM will not run if low on oil,, and the pressure get's upto 3000psi.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #13

Thank you all for your replies and comments. I wish I could afford the latest and greatest, but alas, fixed income meets reality check. I have only a fuel guage and air pressure guage that work and was depending on the (crazy expensive ) Cat engine diagnostic display that came with the coach. But it was intermittent since the time I bought the coach (thanks RV inspector for missing that).

So it looks cheapest to go scan guage. I wonder if I will have to run wire back to the engine since my diagnostic port under the dash is rectangular. Someone suggested an adapter, but only in use with the silverleaf and laptop.

I will call Scangauge tomorrow and go that route, because I will leave on an expedition to the West and Yosemite in the next two weeks. Hopefully diesel prices won't jump $.40 like gas did (oh sure, the oil guys say supply and demand) right BEFORE the holiday.

Towing my 2007 Saturn Vue AWD behind my '99 Country Coach Affinity. As all of you who own older coaches, I will be repairing things and replacing parts all the way there . Sometimes I wish I had a toy hauler with a mechanic that lived in the toy garage to fix stuff!

Warmest Regards,

Joe
Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
I wonder if I will have to run wire back to the engine since my diagnostic port under the dash is rectangular. Someone suggested an adapter, but only in use with the silverleaf and laptop.
I will call Scangauge tomorrow and go that route
Warmest Regards,
Joe
Joe
Have you asked Liner Logic about the an adapter to fit your rectangular diagnostic port?
Contact Us : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
Mel
'96 Safari