Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AquaHot fluid turning color

There is a long thread Aqua Hot Fluid turning to sludge? over at the Entegra forum about the coolant turning color and have particles in it. I went out and looked at ours and see it's much darker than the Camco is in the bottle and there are some "chunks" of something at the top of the overflow tank.
Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151225_142930[1].jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	114925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151225_142937[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	114926  

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have followed that thread and am as curious as most to find out what is going on with those units.

When we bought our Allure it was 6 years old and I suspect it had the original Camco fluid. It was the color of strong tea or cola. Roger Berke assured me that was normal and that as long as the pH was within range, there was no need to change it.

However, after using the coach for about one year, I drained the system, flushed it well (5 flush and drains with tap water, final flush and drain with distilled water), and refilled with new Camco fluid. A year later, my fluid is still pretty pink/red and has none of that crud that I see in the posts on the Entegra forum.

I did have a bit of a greenish/brown residue in the fluid that I drained out of the coach. That is why I did the repeated flushes of the system.

I think there is something else going on with those systems using the Century boiler coolant. In any case, my feeling is that a drain, flush and refill of any of these systems is appropriate at a 5 - 6 year interval. The Camco stuff is not that expensive.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, have added the drain/flush/refill to my Spring list! When we bought the rig I was assured it had been serviced. I think all they did was the burner/filter/nozzle and not new fluid. I didn't really look at the coolant color at that time.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

One tip I was given form John Carrillo, especially for Country Coaches (We have silicone hose runs, and John said that was the reason we sometimes need to top off our overfill tanks, as the hoses escape gasses/fluids. Not enough to see a 'leak' but that is where he said our loss fluid was going.), is to 'top off' with distilled water instead of the Camco mix from time to time. He said that overtime the mixture would become to high of a concentrate, and that reduces the heat exchange principal that is needed to move the heat to the coach and hot water feeds.

Once I again knew we were at a good mix balance, I've now gone to one year of topping off with only distilled water, and the next year using the pink Camco mix. (This was John's suggestion, and so far no problems!) And we really don't need to top off too often, maybe 2-3 times a year, I'll add a few ounces of either water or Camco mix.

Have not seen the Entegra thread, will follow up it too.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
When I upgraded the fans in my heat exchangers, the hoses looked like rubber heater hose, Gates IIRC. Sure did not look like silicone.

Why would you not want to top off with 50/50 mix?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Only about 1/3rd (37%) of the fluid is supposed to be "antifreeze", the rest water.

Water delivers the heat and despite best efforts some water departs the system(overflow bottle). When more and more 50/50 is added the "antifreeze" becomes more concentrated until it will react with the surfaces and flaking, or worse happens.

I saw the report on Brobox's and his "antifreeze" was 48%. Not good.

We bought our 2012 Tour new and have only added distilled water and everything works. Smitty received good advice, and our situation may not fit yours.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Only about 1/3rd (37%) of the fluid is supposed to be "antifreeze", the rest water.

Water delivers the heat and despite best efforts some water departs the system(overflow bottle). When more and more 50/50 is added the "antifreeze" becomes more concentrated until it will react with the surfaces and flaking, or worse happens.

I saw the report on Brobox's and his "antifreeze" was 48%. Not good.

We bought our 2012 Tour new and have only added distilled water and everything works. Smitty received good advice, and our situation may not fit yours.
OK, thanks for the explanation. I keep distilled water on hand and will keep this in mind if/when I need to top off. I guess the best way to test % coolant is with refractometer??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Correct.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Correct.
I have been thinking of getting a refractometer. I have OAT coolant in the Cummins. Will the refractometer work with all types...regular ethylene glycol, propylene glycol and OAT?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Here's the direct quote from the 600D owners manual:
Quote:
A 50/50 mixture ratio is recommended, which will result in a freeze point of approximately -28F and a boil point of approximately 222F

A 50/50 solution of propylene glycol antifreeze and water is recommended to provide the best performance combination of the aforementioned functions�
Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #11

Gary - Maybe different years use different hoses?

And they John explained it, it its he H20 part of the Camco fluid, that escapes out of the hoses over time, thus the mix gets stronger and stronger. Ours was off by enough that I drained the coolant out of the expansion chamber, then topped it to the top of the fill line with distilled water. Then the rest of that years usage, I topped it off only with distilled water. Not scientific, but it seemed to get the mix back to a better balance. I have velcro on the bottom of the basement that holds our Hydro Hot, and attach the other part to the bottom of the one gallon jug of either Camco or Distilled water. Each year, now will be going into year three of doing this. I put whatever fluid I'll use for that year in this bay, and the other goes into the slide out storage container that holds the bottles of different fluids I carry while traveling. This way I always have the fluid I'm using to top off, in the bay with the Hydro Hot. I call it 'point of use' - and it helps my memory on what the heck fluid I should use that year!

Best,
Smitty

Tags
fluid