Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AquaHot heating performance

We really like the Aqua Hot but I am curious to compare it's heating performance to others with similar coaches. We are in Richmond, VA and the temps at night have been running in the low 20's. I have zone 1 and 3 set to 64 during the night. Zone 2 is electric heat only and I keep it off when the temps drop below about 34F outside. I have both the electric and diesel function on the AH on. While I have not put a watch to it, the burner seems to light and run for 3 - 5 minutes, shut off for about same time, then start again. All four exchangers are putting out good heat (all of mine are single speed). Is this about normal for cold weather?

During the day when outside temps get about low 30's, I switch on the zone 2 heat pump and it heats the coach fine (we are on 30 amp service).

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

I have a Hurricane heater and mine operates the same as yours. 3-5 minute burn and then off for maybe 10 minutes

Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I wish mine were working so well. I have been having a problem with Zone 1. Still waiting for a replacement heat exchanger from the dealer. So far the pump and check valve have been replaced, and the rear heat exchanger (under the fridge) has been taken out of the system and the hoses coupled together. For a while I was getting heat out of the front heat exchanger, but now that exchanger is blowing cold air again. My hope is the check valve is stuck and once we put the rear heat exchanger back, I can tap the valve to get the whole system working again. The Zone 3 system is working wonderfully. Even at low 20s I have been running the Zone 1 and Zone 2 heat pumps to help heat the front of the coach. We also have a small ceramic heater we are using in the front. I can't wait to head back to Florida on Sunday to get into warmer weather (we have been in Memphis for a couple of weeks for Christmas). So like I said, I wish mine was working as good as yours. This is the only real problem we have had with the coach.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Yet another coach heating question..

OK, so it seems my AH is working fine. Frequent cycling of the burner in cold weather is not uncommon especially on the smaller units like I have (Roger Burke says mine has 5 gallon coolant capacity whereby some of the larger units have 15 gallon).

We are now in Myrtle Beach and it is much warmer here. This AM was 68F in coach so I set Zone 1 electric to 72F. Zone 1 heat pump came on and started putting out good heat. However, the Zone 1 AH heat exchangers also came on and ran off and on until the set temp was reached. I had both the T stats set for electric heat not 'gas' so wondered why the AH came on.

With my previous coach (Winnebago with basement AC/heat pump and LP furnace), LP furnace would come on with heat pumps if there was a sufficient differential between ambient temp and T-stat setting. Are the CC's set up that way too?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Mine runs very much the same. Having the electric WH on helps spread the timing out a bit. We sat in KS the last 3 months temps down to 4 degrees (Yes FOUR!!!) But this thing kept us toasty. I looked at the output on these and it puts out 50,000 BTU and most gas hot air systems I have seen are it the 25,000 range. But they only heat the air, Not the water and engine preheater. The day we were leaving KS it was 24 out we both got a long hot shower with the engine preheat and everything running No Problems, I'm happy with that. ((My electric floor heat has never worked.))
Having such a small reservoir it will cycle often. And with the basement calling for heat that's just the way it works.
I have been a HVAC tech for years and have a good understanding of systems like this. I just hate seeing that fuel gauge going down, But when temps go below 35 you don't have much choice, Especially on 30A

Tags
heating