Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
auto transfer switch - won't go to generator power

We have a 2000 Intrigue and when we start the generator we don't get AC power to the coach, works fine on shore power source.

The generator is putting out AC power at the circuit breakers on the generator, and I see the AC power on the Todd Transfer Switch.

One question I have is it looks to me like the AC power (either generator or shore) comes into the transfer switch then goes out to the surge protector then out to the house circuits, does this sound correct?

On shore power I can meter and have power into the transfer switch and the surge protector is showing power, on generator power the surge protector does not show presence of power.

It is my understanding that the transfer switch is wired normally open for the generator, so maybe the switch is stuck in the closed position.

I have given the transfer switch box a pretty good "hit" to try to dislodge the relay but that doesn't seem to help.

I have read of people cleaning the contacts but looking at the transfer switch it looks like the relays are behind all the wiring so would mean taking the entire thing out.

So, any suggestions and ideas would be great!

Bob & Terry Stockholm - Xenia, OH
2000 Country Coach Intrigue #11075
stkhlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
A picture of your Transfer Switch set up might help us, help you.

I can just remove the cover and clean the contacts or tighten wire connections on my rig.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
On my 2000 Magna with the Todd Engineering transfer switch I too had no power from the generator. Dave Hills posted a fix to the timing board that the switch uses to delay the transfer of power from the generator to the house. It is an easy fix. You need to replace one of the capacitors on the timing board. Unsolder the old and solder in the new. About 1 minute once you have the board in your hands with a hot soldering iron.

Dave made his post on the Yahoo Country Coach Owners forum and posted pictures to help identify the capacitor. I could not locate the message but I did copy his info when I fixed my switch. PM me with your email address and I'll forward all the info to you.

On my coach, the shore power goes through the surge protector and then to the transfer switch. The generator power does not go through the surge protector.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Most put the surge protector at the end of the power cord, before it goes into the transfer switch. A few put the surge protector on the output of the transfer switch, before going into the circuit breaker panel.

If you are comfortable working around electricity, you can take the cover off the transfer switch and measure the voltages (voltmeter) with the generator running. It's easy to see if the contacts are engaged or not
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote

generator, power, switch, transfer switch