Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

Aux compressor and leveling

On my 1993 magna, my auxiliary compressor runs a long time to get level and if the slope is too high then it just never stops. I pulled and tested the compressor and found I am only putting out about 60psi of pressure and it took about 5 minutes to reach that pressure.

My normal procedure is to pull up to my spot, with the rig running I dump, and level. Once level, I shut the engine down and after a while I hear the compressor turns on, it levels and shuts off like normal, unless it has to lift too high to return to level, then the compressor just keeps running.

So the questions are.

1: Does the leveling get the air from the tanks or only from the compressor?

2: Does the compressor also put air into the tanks or only the air bags?

3: Which aux compressor would be a good replacement.

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
1) I think it's only from the compressor
2) the airbags only I think
3)????
It sounds like there maybe a sensor or limit switch that is out of whack or not working. You might go to the HWH site and see what they have to say. Ours stop running when it maxes out. I've gotten pretty good at judging the slope and putting down boards to lift the the tires. Also HWH just recommends pushing the auto level button and not dumping the bags. Good Luck and Happy Trails

Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

I also have found that the leveling is quite a bit faster by having the engine still providing the air. The periodic adjustments by the compressor over a period of time, seems to be easily handled by the electric compressor in our era coach.

I've also found that the few times I've used the compressor for leveling, besides being a bit slower, that it could run, run, run - IF, the leveling was not possible. (I park frequently beside a friends house, and the front slope is just a bit more then the leveling range available. If I level with the engine running, the system will shut down after trying to get it as close to level as possible, after running for some set amount of time. Either this time is set much longer to allow for the smaller air capacity of the compressor, or it is not working. I finally just hit the leveling system 'reset', to shut it off.)

This is from the 04 era coaches.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If it works as mine, I do the same as you for level, but I need to push the emergency stop switch to shut down the system. I believe that the system will monitor the levelness of the coach, if you do as you have been doing and if it senses something not level, it will activate the Aux pump and attempt to bring it back into level, what ever that might be or it senses it should be. I'm a newbee and this is my what I do.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

I talked to HWH today, since my compressor is only putting out 60psi, it is not enough pressure to lift the coach completely to regain level, as the engine compressor can. So I am looking at new compressors as a replacement.

There are many options here, 5%, 10%...... On up to 100% Duty Cycle. Hmmmm.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

My auxiliary air compressor could not consistently level my coach. I replaced the Thomas with a Viair 330CIG. The Viair is a continuous duty pump and the specs show about 3 times the capacity at 100 psi and still draws no more than 12 amps. The Thomas pump draws a max of 10.5 amps

So far this pump can level my coach even if I completely dump the air from the system.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
My auxiliary air compressor could not consistently level my coach. I replaced the Thomas with a Viair 330CIG. The Viair is a continuous duty pump and the specs show about 3 times the capacity at 100 psi and still draws no more than 12 amps. The Thomas pump draws a max of 10.5 amps

So far this pump can level my coach even if I completely dump the air from the system.
I am glad you mentioned the Viair, they were the ones I was trying to decide on. IG compressors require the use of a pressure switch that allows operation up to each compressor?s maximum working pressure as well as a relay for installation. Did you also install with these two additional options. (Pressure switch & relay)?
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

The controls for operating the pump are in place with the HWH system. This includes the relay to operate the pump. I installed a check valve that came with the Viair pump but don't believe it is needed.

There is water separator installed with the HWH pump that has a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl that closes when the pump cycles on and opens when the pump shuts down which relieves any pressure on the output side of the pump. The HWH system only allows the pump to operate for about 15 minutes before shutting down.

Since I'm not trying to fill an air tank I didn't feel a pressure switch was needed. Again, the HWH system controls the pump.

I moved the pump to face the compartment door so the intake air filter is easy to get to. Note that the Thomas pump does not come with a filter. I've not had the pump installed long enough to know how long it takes for the filter to get dirty.

I've read that the plastic air hose going from the Thomas pump to the water separator could melt where it is attached to the pump head but I saw no signs of heat distortion on that hose when I replaced the pump. The Viair comes with a teflon hose with external metal braiding that was of sufficient length for my install.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
The controls for operating the pump are in place with the HWH system. This includes the relay to operate the pump. I installed a check valve that came with the Viair pump but don't believe it is needed.

There is water separator installed with the HWH pump that has a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl that closes when the pump cycles on and opens when the pump shuts down which relieves any pressure on the output side of the pump. The HWH system only allows the pump to operate for about 15 minutes before shutting down.

Since I'm not trying to fill an air tank I didn't feel a pressure switch was needed. Again, the HWH system controls the pump.

I moved the pump to face the compartment door so the intake air filter is easy to get to. Note that the Thomas pump does not come with a filter. I've not had the pump installed long enough to know how long it takes for the filter to get dirty.

I've read that the plastic air hose going from the Thomas pump to the water separator could melt where it is attached to the pump head but I saw no signs of heat distortion on that hose when I replaced the pump. The Viair comes with a teflon hose with external metal braiding that was of sufficient length for my install.

Thanks, I do not believe I have the original Thomas pump because it looks nothing like the manual, just a small standard compressor. So I will go with your recommendation and see what happens. Thanks a million.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #10

Please let us know how it works, or worked, out. I have a different rig, but basically the same HWH setup. I am not a fan of Thomas pumps. They seem to fail frequently. My setup is different in that it provides air for other systems (air seals, head, stepwell cover). I also have a 2.5 tank with this system. I'll be installing a Viair in place of the Thomas pump this weekend (the 280C seemed to fit my needs better and I have the wiring in place for the larger amp draw). As the Viair has a check valve and a SS leader hose, I do not see much appeal to keeping the dump valve in place. As this powers the head, I'd prefer not to have the "pssssstt" sound of the dump valve operating at, say, 3AM when nature calls (but I guess that's a topic for a different thread as the dump valve removes trapped moisture from the water separator).
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #11

The new pump worked great, the new ss hose had a larger diameter connection than the old one, so I had to put a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, the mounting hole configuration was a little different so I had to drill a couple new holes in the plate. I used the existing wiring from the HWH system for power. The pump came with an air filter, which I ran up into the fuse box which stays clean and dry. The noise factor is about the same, you can hear a little noise but neither is too bad, more of a vibration, but I think the old one was a little higher pitch.

We have made a few trips out and it works great, way better than the old compressor. I noticed that when I am on a slope that is too aggressive, the pump will keep popping the safety release valve until I turn off the leveling. But once the tires are blocked so it is not extending the air bags past max, then the pump only runs for about 20 seconds at a time to keep level, whereas the last compressor would run for minutes and often could not get us to level unless we were fairly level already.

I actually T'ed off the hose and put a quick connect along with a toggle switch inside the fuse compartment. I just connect a hose, flip the switch and use it to fill tires on bikes and also used it to fill tires on the trailer but that took too long since the tires need 80lbs each but it did all 4 without a hick up. It does a quick job for bikes and rafts, etc. keeping you from having to start the engine to use your rigs compressor and tanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #12

Thank you very much for the update! Glad it is working well.

Tags
compressor, leveling