Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Axle weights, few questions

Stopped at a Pilot today and pulled onto the CAT scales. Actual weights as follows:

steer axle........14,000; GAWR is 14,200.

drive axle........17,240; GAWR is 20,000.

tag................12,100; GAWR is 11,000.

OK, not sure how accurate these weights are and still want to get VDOT to do actual wheel weights with their portable scales.

However, I am only 200 lbs below max for the steer axle which is surprising. I had already tried to arrange my storage bays so my heavier items were as close to the drive axle as possible.

The tag is really surprising. According to the sticker in the coach, tag axle GAWR is 11,000 lbs so, according to the data from this weigh, I am 1,100 lbs over weight on the tag. I don't see how that is since the drive axle is 2,700 lbs under max. There is no storage over the tag that I can impact other than what is in the bedroom....which isn't that much.

The weigh ticket refers to the 'trailer axle' as 12,100 so I wonder if that weight includes the CR-V which would be about 3,500. It that is the case, I really only have about 8,600 on the tag.

Curious how these match others with similar set up.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Stopped at a Pilot today and pulled onto the CAT scales. Actual weights as follows:

OK, not sure how accurate these weights are and still want to get VDOT to do actual wheel weights with their portable scales.

However, I am only 200 lbs below max for the steer axle which is surprising. I had already tried to arrange my storage bays so my heavier items were as close to the drive axle as possible.

The tag is really surprising. According to the sticker in the coach, tag axle GAWR is 11,000 lbs so, according to the data from this weigh, I am 1,100 lbs over weight on the tag. I don't see how that is since the drive axle is 2,700 lbs under max. There is no storage over the tag that I can impact other than what is in the bedroom....which isn't that much.

The weigh ticket refers to the 'trailer axle' as 12,100 so I wonder if that weight includes the CR-V which would be about 3,500. It that is the case, I really only have about 8,600 on the tag.

I don't know CCs procedure but there should be an air adjustment for the tag axle. If you back off the pressure on the tag, you will not only get some weight off the tag, you will shift some off the steer axle also. If the CR-V was on the scale segment then the tag weight includes the toad.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe the ride height needs to be adjusted on the drive axle.
To take weight off the tag, unless the tag air bags are adjustable.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

The only way to Know if the CRV is in that 12,100 amount is to unhook it and get weighed without it.
I'd almost bet the 3500 CRV weight is in that 12.1K The way those scales are set up.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
The only way to Know if the CRV is in that 12,100 amount is to unhook it and get weighed without it.
I'd almost bet the 3500 CRV weight is in that 12.1K The way those scales are set up.
That is the plan. Coach sits level and just cannot see how the drive axle can be well under the max and tag axle over. If coach was sitting 'tail heavy' maybe.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:

That is the plan. Coach sits level and just cannot see how the drive axle can be well under the max and tag axle over. If coach was sitting 'tail heavy' maybe.
A DP with air suspension will not sit "tail heavy" due to the ride height valves. I think CC's Dynomax chassis is set up with 2 ride height valves on the drive axle and one on the steer axle. The tag axle is then set up to pick up some of the load by adjusting the down force on the tag axle air bags. More pressure will add weight to the tag and the steer and take it off the drive axle. Less pressure will take weight off the tag and steer axle and increase the weight on the drive axle.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
A DP with air suspension will not sit "tail heavy" due to the ride height valves. I think CC's Dynomax chassis is set up with 2 ride height valves on the drive axle and one on the steer axle. The tag axle is then set up to pick up some of the load by adjusting the down force on the tag axle air bags. More pressure will add weight to the tag and the steer and take it off the drive axle. Less pressure will take weight off the tag and steer axle and increase the weight on the drive axle.
Steve, I plan to re-weigh the coach without the toad. If I get the same results, will investigate if there is a way to adjust the down pressure on the tag. I can raise the tag during slow tight turns with a switch on the dash.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:

Steve, I plan to re-weigh the coach without the toad. If I get the same results, will investigate if there is a way to adjust the down pressure on the tag. I can raise the tag during slow tight turns with a switch on the dash.
You'll get it noodled out. You're in a beautiful part of the country. I've stayed at the Thousand Trails over in Gladys on a couple of occasions. We're going to spend a week up in Front Royal with our best friends and travel buddies in July & we haven't decided on a route south yet so we might come down that way again. Loved the D Day Memorial.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: Virginia DMV weight enforcement fellow met me today and used portable scales to weigh the coach (I now have individual wheel position weights).

Front axle: 13,775

Drive axle: 17,125

Tag axle: 8,725

All of these weights are under maximum GAWR even though the front is really close to the 14,200 GAWR.

I now know that the toad weight was included in my previous tag axle weight.