Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
http://sourcerv.com/tvck_flyer.pdf

I'm going from foggy memory on this one, but I'm pretty sure I've read of CC, and other coaches, owner's were happy with this product?

Now how this kit compares with the wax valve kit that Kevin has pulled together is something I don't know.

Wanted to share this site as info, and at the same time ask if my memory is correct and others were pleased with this solution?

Best to all,
Smitty
I wanted to thank you as well for this website. Looks very interesting and I am looking into going this route.

colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
I wanted to thank you as well for this website. Looks very interesting and I am looking into going this route.

It would probably be worth the call to Kevin Waite too, to see what his wax valve kit consists of and costs. He provides great CC owner support, and is a straight shooter.

Suspect Source Engineering has pulled together components from other providers, for their kit. Good chance the wax valve may be a common between both kits?

I also see no downside to the dash control switch to the fuseline. This provides a fallback position in case a problem occurs in the future and it defaults to take off fan speeds of high!

Best to all, and if I talk to Kevin in the near future, I'll ask him what he says about his kit.

Smitty

Old 11-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #31

Fan controller

Just replaced my controller and the two sensors, $1200. Extended warranty covered it. Engine temps seem to be the same but mpg has increased slightly.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
UPDATE. After more miles under my belt and conversations with Kevin and several other authorites, the following is the current "odd" situation that puzzles everyone as to cause and correction:

--The fan no longer runs on HIGH period. Disconnecting the 2 prong plug or pulling the fuse DOES NOT cause the fan speed to increase to HIGH. But it does run on LOW.

--Most feel this behavior is opposite of normal fan controller failure and the system defaults, and feel something else is causing the problem.

--My normal temps of 170-175, though potentially not exactly correct, indicate the engine is running too cool. (of course I still get overheating occasionally and possible engine shutdown on steep grades,etc.).

I am wondering if the Cummins computer can be programmed to turn the fan onto HIGH when coolent temps reach say 200, or if this can only be done via the fan controller?

BTW the coach goes into Cummins for testing next week. $$$$$

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #33

That is peculiar behavior! ECM, temp sensor, or specific pin within a harness faulty connection - and or ground?

Suggest you ask Cummins for a dyno test analysis, as this would get you closest to driving conditions while the computer is hooked up to the ECM.

Fingers crossed it becomes a 'oh that is what it is' moment for you. And that it is kind to your pocket book too...

Best,
Smitty
Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #34

Did you buy this coach new? If not, did a previous owner replace the fan controller and if so was it the correct controller? Since the controllers are programmed for the specific engine-coolant system set up, the controller on your coach may not be correct. Just a thought.

On my 2000 Magna, the fuse that controls the fan controller also controls the relays for the Allison transmission. I found out the hard way that removing the fuse ( I did it with a switch) causes problems; the engine will crank but not start with the fuse pulled, and the data bus at the transmission freezes when the fuse is pulled. So, if you add a switch, make sure you are only switching the fan controller. Removing the fuse did keep my engine from overheating.

My problem turned out to be bad sensors. Sorry to hear that didn't fix your problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
That is peculiar behavior! ECM, temp sensor, or specific pin within a harness faulty connection - and or ground?

Suggest you ask Cummins for a dyno test analysis, as this would get you closest to driving conditions while the computer is hooked up to the ECM.

Fingers crossed it becomes a 'oh that is what it is' moment for you. And that it is kind to your pocket book too...

Best,
Smitty
Thanks for your thoughts, Smitty. As you suggest I will go the dyno route if nothing else comes up that sounds promising. I hope to talk with Butch Williams on Kevin's recommendation and perhaps he has a suggestion or two. I talked with a RV tech today who could not offer anything other than begin replacing parts. Obviously that route scares me due to the $$$ potentially involved.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Did you buy this coach new? If not, did a previous owner replace the fan controller and if so was it the correct controller? Since the controllers are programmed for the specific engine-coolant system set up, the controller on your coach may not be correct. Just a thought.

On my 2000 Magna, the fuse that controls the fan controller also controls the relays for the Allison transmission. I found out the hard way that removing the fuse ( I did it with a switch) causes problems; the engine will crank but not start with the fuse pulled, and the data bus at the transmission freezes when the fuse is pulled. So, if you add a switch, make sure you are only switching the fan controller. Removing the fuse did keep my engine from overheating.

My problem turned out to be bad sensors. Sorry to hear that didn't fix your problem.
The coach/fan did run fine for like 25,000 miles until recently when this issue evolved so the controller is likely correct. Interesting on the tranny issues with that fuse and i will check to see if my Inspire is the same.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
ANOTHER UPDATE. After speaking with Cummins here in Phoenix yesterday, and recalling something Kevin Waite said weeks ago, I am now thinking the culprit is the fan motor. My manual states that this part is, "fan motor...high flow valve." It would seem logical..at least to me...that the anomaly of my fan NOT going to high speed when the fan controller is disconnected (which by default everyone says it should) and the erratic cooling behavior the past 2 years, could be explained by either the fan clutch or this valve (whatever it is, and assuming I have one) not operating properly. Thus my next step is to mortgage the house and head off to Cummins for diagnostics aimed at this element of the system.

Does this make sense to anyone else other than of course me?

I will update on findings.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
...I am now thinking the culprit is the fan motor.

Does this make sense to anyone else other than of course me?
Could well be. While I have had good luck with and liked Cummins service on my previous Cummins-powered coaches, if you feel like you need a second opinion, Massey's Diesel in Phoenix gets a lot of good buzz.

Massey's in Phoenix

They came to mind because we happen to be near Phoenix at the moment.

Good luck!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #39

Did you change the hydraulic servo valve that is attached to the controller? They rarely go bad but it is a possibility
Old 03-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Could well be. While I have had good luck with and liked Cummins service on my previous Cummins-powered coaches, if you feel like you need a second opinion, Massey's Diesel in Phoenix gets a lot of good buzz.

Massey's in Phoenix

They came to mind because we happen to be near Phoenix at the moment.

Good luck!
You are the second person to suggest this route and I will follow that advice. Cummins RM has worked on this coach for this reason on 2 previous occasions and without success. The only downside is I wonder if Masseys can re-program the ECU since that may need to be done as well. I will ask when I make the appt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Did you change the hydraulic servo valve that is attached to the controller? They rarely go bad but it is a possibility
No. Is that the same as the "high-flow valve" refereed to in my manuals describtion of the fan motor?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #41

Quote:
You are the second person to suggest this route and I will follow that advice. Cummins RM has worked on this coach for this reason on 2 previous occasions and without success. The only downside is I wonder if Masseys can re-program the ECU since that may need to be done as well. I will ask when I make the appt.

No. Is that the same as the "high-flow valve" refereed to in my manuals describtion of the fan motor?
I'm not sure what or even if the manuals address the valve.

The valve is attached to the fan controller module, has a couple of wires and a couple of hydraulic hoses attached. It rarely goes bad but it is possible. That valve is what varies the oil volume/pressure to the actual fan motor
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I'm not sure what or even if the manuals address the valve.

The valve is attached to the fan controller module, has a couple of wires and a couple of hydraulic hoses attached. It rarely goes bad but it is possible. That valve is what varies the oil volume/pressure to the actual fan motor
Thanks, Don. I see this component. Do you know if it is repairable. I read on another forum that a RV tech disassempbled --I think--this part and found a piston that was stuck and just needed some TLC to fix.

Tags
fan, replace, replacement