Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Bad front airbag. What to do?

Left front air bag is leaking badly. Cannot air up that bag any longer. Others air up to some degree. Is it okay to drive it a few miles slowly? or is it flat bed time?

Rich 2002 Magna

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - will the front tire clear the fiberglass fender panel when you turn and lean when transitioning on to driveway apron ??

Alan

Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Curious--do you know for a fact its the air bag--or perhaps it is the dump valve stuck open/leaking?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

The tires clear the fenders turning the wheel lock to lock even with the airbag empty on this coach. That's not what I'm worried about I'm worried about damage to the suspension driving without the airbag inflated . I don't know if that is a problem if I go slow or not . It is definitely the airbag there is a hole in it you can feel and see.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
A competent truck mobile mechanic should be able to replace the bag in 1-2 hours at your location. Excessive rust and corrosion may add to the time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #6

Maintaining enough air pressure to keep the park brake from engaging is the big issue, there are protection valves to keep about 65 PSI in the tanks for the brakes , but if they fail and you get below 45 PSI the park brake will come on WHERE EVER you are on the road.
With lower than optimum air pressure , braking power for the service brakes is reduced.
If your drive for service/repair, is only a few miles at slow speed , it's your call as to, try or not. But have a tow company on speed dial.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mobile Truck Mech would also be my choice. Had to do that with my last coach.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

Thank you all I hopefully have a mobile truck mechanic coming on Tuesday after the airbags arrive.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
SEE...broke down in your motorhome some where safe is always better than risky driving to a repair shop. I have found that mobile repair service is usually cheaper and your repair is not being done by the least qualified mech in the shop. And you get to stay in the rig watching tv while the repair is being done.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
SEE...broke down in your motorhome some where safe is always better than risky driving to a repair shop. I have found that mobile repair service is usually cheaper and your repair is not being done by the least qualified mech in the shop. And you get to stay in the rig watching tv while the repair is being done.
Lesson learned. At least for stuff like this. Some things you have to go to a shop.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Agree, last I lost all my steering and engine cooling fan ATF fluid, Coach Net would tow me on Monday but I opted to find a mobile mechanic service. I stayed cool in the rest area with my generator running and my direct allowed me to watch some sports so we were there a little over 24 hours. I called Cummins and they said they couldn't get to my coach for at least a week. I actually found two different mobile services that could get there on Monday. Worked for me.

Ray
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 06-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #12

my coach manual says clearly that it's ok to drive to a shop in the event of airbag failure. there will be no damage to whatsoever.
check your manual, i bet it will say the same.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #13

I tried it recently. I would not at all advise driving very far or over any irregular surfaces of you have a bad leak. Depending on how bad the leak is from the blown airbag you may have no Springs whatsoever. It is possible to damage your suspension or knock your alignment out. If the leak is bad your other bags may not air up since it affects all the bags. If it's bad enough your brakes May lock up if the pressure drops low enough. Call a mobile truck repair service.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
my coach manual says clearly that it's ok to drive to a shop in the event of airbag failure. there will be no damage to whatsoever.
check your manual, i bet it will say the same.
Well I just had to check my 1995 Country Coach manual. (Its near 100 degrees again today so lots of time to waste....)

It says "IN THE EVENT OF THE FAILURE OF THE AIR BAGS.............. COUNTRY COACH RECOMMENDS TO MANEUVER THE VEHICLE TO A SAFE STOPPING AREA WHERE THE NECESSARY REPAIRS CAN BE MADE PRIOR TO CONTINUING TRAVEL. CONTINUED OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO BOTH THE TRANSMISSION AND THE UNDERCARRIAGE."

(Yes, the manual's statement is in All Caps.)

So some CC owners may need to stop and not drive with the loss of an Air Spring. I suspect I will do so.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote