Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Basement bay heated

does anyone know how many basement bays are heated by the furnace. and would it be necessary to skirt under coach if going to be in Indianapolis for three months this winter.

gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

forgot info

coach is 98 intrigue

Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The heated bays are the "Wet" bays, (Bays that contain water tanks, black, gray, wash or fresh).

Indy.. Well you will need to take precautions.. I do not know if skirting is the proper precaution however.. Sorry. I get outta town before then headed SOUTH!!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I was poking around in my 'wet bay' today and saw the Aqua Hot heat exchanger in that space. I guess it will provide enough heat to keep things from freezing up in there. It has no fan so relies only on convection to circulate the air. However, the exchanger is mounted at the top of the space and that would seem to less than efficient. The compartment door seems to be foam filled but the compartment bottom is not insulated. If I were to be staying for long in really cold weather, I think I would add a trouble light in the space to add a bit of heat.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #5

plug

There is a male plug at the bottom, is that a heating pad, can't see where it goes
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Some auxiliary heat device maybe needed in the bay next to the wet bay. Some folks say a standard light bulb will keep it warm enough to prevent freezing. Others might suggest electric space heaters. If you go that route make sure that you have a power source that does not run through your inverter. If it does It will burn the inverter out. Either hard wire in a 20 amp circuit to the bay or use a large gauge extension cord (12g min) to plug into a 20 amp source outside the MH. Larger cord would be better. Also read the instructions that come with the heater and follow all clearance directions and other directions and instructions. One with a thermostat would and 500-750 watts would be more than enough to heat the area.
I just had 2- 20 amp circuits run that bypass the inverter. One goes to the front of the coach and one goes to the bay next to the wet bay. These circuit are only energized when the coach is plugged into shore power.
Another thing to do is keep your waste tanks and water tanks as close to full before you dump them. They have a lot of thermal mass that will help prevent freezing. Do not leave your water or sewer hoses hooked up. Even if they contain no water and don't freeze they will become very brittle and break easily if stepped on or bent.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put a 100 W bulb in an industrial aluminum reflector in the wet bay and leave it on all the time. Been doing that to over 10 years now with no problems. Last year I bought a 200 W personal heater and a heat/cold activated plug in. Will try it out this winter now that I have a remote thermometer that works and also records lows and highs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

thanks

Appreciate all the input, I have wrapped the hoses with alum foil an put heat strips on them as well as pipe insulating foam, the bay next to wet bay has a furnace duct wonder why they did not put wet bay thanks to all
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

If you use heat tape make sure it is not wrapped upon itself. It can cause a fire.