Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

Battery Bay Wiring

I have 2-200A button breakers (no levers) marked "Domestic". They both use red Pos 2/0 cables. One is down in my Basement where my Xantrex inverter is. It is one of about 8 button breakers installed vertically on the PS side of my access opening. It's sort of obvious that it's the real "Domestic" protection because its outgoing 2/0 heads into the darkness where other device wires are that I know end up at the Main 12VDC Fuse panel inside

My question is what's the other so-called "Domestic" for? It's available at the top of the Battery Bay when the door is opened. It's next to another 200A button breaker called "Battery Boost". I know what the BB is for. It's to let the house batteries help start the coach if the starting batteries can't.

The mystery booster has 2-2/0 cables attached. One is a jumper over from the Battery Boost breaker. So, that means it's providing protection for power going in to or out from the Battery Boost breaker. The other cable from the mystery "Domestic" breaker goes to one of two terminals on the Battery Boost solenoid thru the bulkhead to the Basement.

FWIW, the Main Pos 4/0 cable off the 2-8D batteries attaches to a terminal block in the Battery Bay before going to other loads. That terminal block has a 2/0 Pos coming off to the Battery Boost button breaker. It then goes from the Battery Boost breaker thru the bulkhead to the other terminal on the Battery Boost solenoid in the Basement. (If you're still with me) that 2/0 Pos line that supplied the solenoid Y's off a terminal on the bulkhead and seems to supply battery power to ALL the button breakers by the access door, including what I believe to be the real Domestic breaker for the fuse panel.

Anyone know what this mystery "Domestic" button breaker in the Battery Bay is?

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 04:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
I have 2-200A button breakers (no levers) marked "Domestic". They both use red Pos 2/0 cables. One is down in my Basement where my Xantrex inverter is. It is one of about 8 button breakers installed vertically on the PS side of my access opening. It's sort of obvious that it's the real "Domestic" protection because its outgoing 2/0 heads into the darkness where other device wires are that I know end up at the Main 12VDC Fuse panel inside

My question is what's the other so-called "Domestic" for? It's available at the top of the Battery Bay when the door is opened. It's next to another 200A button breaker called "Battery Boost". I know what the BB is for. It's to let the house batteries help start the coach if the starting batteries can't.

The mystery booster has 2-2/0 cables attached. One is a jumper over from the Battery Boost breaker. So, that means it's providing protection for power going in to or out from the Battery Boost breaker. The other cable from the mystery "Domestic" breaker goes to one of two terminals on the Battery Boost solenoid thru the bulkhead to the Basement.

FWIW, the Main Pos 4/0 cable off the 2-8D batteries attaches to a terminal block in the Battery Bay before going to other loads. That terminal block has a 2/0 Pos coming off to the Battery Boost button breaker. It then goes from the Battery Boost breaker thru the bulkhead to the other terminal on the Battery Boost solenoid in the Basement. (If you're still with me) that 2/0 Pos line that supplied the solenoid Y's off a terminal on the bulkhead and seems to supply battery power to ALL the button breakers by the access door, including what I believe to be the real Domestic breaker for the fuse panel.

Anyone know what this mystery "Domestic" button breaker in the Battery Bay is?

Jerry
My eyes glossed over reading this, perhaps since haven't had coffee yet. I don't have your coach, so my comments are more generic RV in nature as opposed to your model specific.

As you know there is a charge solenoid or battery booster that connects the two battery banks together. Since the engine alternator is charging the chassis battery, that charge solenoid connects the house battery to them which allows the house batteries to be charged up as well. When the engine stops, they are disconnected, which protects the chassis battery from becoming discharged as you use house battery. They are heavy thick battery cables, and would typically have a large fuse on each end of the cable which runs between the battery banks, can be between 200a to 400a depending upon the length and size of battery banks and mfg.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #3

Generator ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
My 2007 does not have 200A button breakers labelled domestic. County Coach may have changed 12 V distribution wiring and added two 200A button breakers to protect the boost solenoid and the house disconnect solenoid for 2008 models. My coach electric drawings (specific to 2006/2007 models) do not show 200A button breakers in the circuit locations that you describe. Can you reference your 2008 electrical drawings?

The only 200A button breakers I have are labelled Chassis Power and Hydraulic Power pack (for slides). They are both in the vertical arrangement of button breakers in my battery bay. I have 12 button breakers on my 12 distribution; in addition to the two 200A mentioned above, intake preheat 120A (2 breakers), Generator 105A, House Power 120A, Compressor 40A, Hydronic heater 30A, Multiplex Power 60A (4 breakers). Are these all present on your 12 distribution?

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:36 AM   #5

Dave & twinboat, thanks for helping.

Brian, you are the closest source for an answer since our Allures are 1 year apart. Mine was assembled in Sept-Oct 2007. It appears the engineers made massive changes; or, they were already canabilizing and using button breakers they already had; or, their warranty dept had passed on problems that made it into production.

In addition to the Domestic and Battery Boost 200A button breakers in the Battery Bay, vertically on the PS side of my Basement access door (from top down): Domestic 200A, Slides 200A, Generator 105A, Multiplex (Smart Block 1) 60A, Multiplex (Smart Block 2) 60A, Multiplex (Smart Block 3) 60A, Toilet (Techma) 40A, Leveling (probably HWH Auxillary compressor?) 40A, Compressor (perhaps main air brake compressor?) 40A, Aqua Hot 40A.

I looked over the electric schematics that passed down to me from the OO. While helpful, they are not what I have. They were orinally drawn in 2003 and re-drawn in Aug 2007. The coach number on them was 21 Allures before mine.

Other than knowing what electrical breakers I have, my reason for asking this is, I am considering moving the whole bunch. I'm putting lithium batteries, my solar controller, controls for those and a Magnum 3012 Hybrid all in my Battery Bay. I have room and can move all those button breakers hidden in the Basement to the Battery Bay, too. Before doing so, however, I want to know exactly what each component does and why it's wired the way it is.

Related to all this is I apparently have a Mystery Ground. The large cable Chassis Ground is, this far, invisible to me. CC grounded my Xantrex box w a relatively small wire by itself to a screw on the rail. None of the breakers I've been discussing have any black wires, 2/0 or otherwise. That doesn't concern me too much because it's customary in the RV industry to ground whatever is being powered locally to the nearest chassis point.

However, what DOES bother me is I can't see the black 2/0 Neg cable for the house 12VDC Fuse Panel. I can see it coming out of the Fuse Panel in the hallway; it it goes through the floor to I don't know where, so far. I must make sure I can see that complete circuit, or at least know where it is, because my lithium controls demand that no load come off the batteries until after a certain point in my controls path.

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Jerry-
IIRC, Oregon Motorcoach Center in Eugene bought the "proprietary" info on all coaches mfg'rd when the bankruptcy happened. They should be able to resurrect the correct chassis/electrical schematics for your rig. Whether the schematics were followed verbatim may be another question.
Hope this helps.

Tags
battery, wiring