Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Battery charging question

The batteries do not seem to be charging. 12 months ago I installed (2) new Interstate AGM 8d house batteries. I do not know the age of the wet coach battery but it is at least 3 years old. I usually keep the coach plugged into a 50 amp service in the warehouse where it is stored. It is seldom stored for more than a month. Do to building remodeling and service the power was out for a month and I found the batteries discharged. I do have a hardwired surge/voltage protector in the system. Upon finding this I used my cheap 12 volt plug tester and it showed 11.7 volts. I plugged the coach back in to the checked 50 amp service. Three days later (today) I unplugged it, waited about 1 hour and checked the voltage with the 12 volt cheap plug tester. It shows voltage at 11.5 amps with is discharged as far as I know. Since the house batteries are new where is the next place to look? I checked the inverter panel readouts and everything is set for AGM and 30 amp shore power. Of course we are leaving Iowa for Florida in 2 days so I may need to do something elsewhere. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
HI Ed, why do you have your panel set for 30 amp when on a 50? Don't think that would cause your problem but just curious. You don't say which batteries are at the 11.5- 11.7 house or coach. Use your tester and test the battery of choice and then plug in and see if it goes up to indicate that your charger is working. Might be a reset on the inverter's charger itself that needs reset due to the power going out. I think there is a reset button on the Magnum inverter somewhere if that is the kind you have. Others that own a CC might chime in here to help as I have a HR. Also make sure all battery connections are clean, and especially the grounds where they attach to the frame. Hope this helps. Randy

Randy & Kathy-n-Auggie
07 HR Navigator 43PBQ, 525hp Cummins ISX, 09 Flex Limited AWD
Randyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Our 04 Allure had a problem for about a month, until someone told me to check to be sure the inverter/echo charger were both not tripped. I found a reset button on the front, and if memory is correct, another one on the back. This got me up and going, and never another problem for the next 3 years. That is when we upgraded to a Magnum MS2812 PSW Inverter/Charger, and all the related components.

I believe you will find that from the factory, the house batteries get charged first, and then the Echo will divert over and feed the chassis once the house are at the right level.

So if the inverter/charger echo system all check out, you might want to test to be sure that you don't have a bad battery in the mix. They due sometimes fail while in early life, and then the warranty will kick in...

Best of luck to you, and I'll follow the thread to learn for your problems!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
I have the inverter panel set to 30 amps because I am in an old warehouse with old wiring. I know it should be ok at 50 amps but I am not taking any chances either way. I will pull the panel cover and check the echo system tomorrow. I did not know there was a reset button. The problem does not seem to be on the chassis battery only the house batteries. The battery terminals were cleaned last year but I never checked the ground connections. It is way to cold out right now (22 deg with 10" of new snow and 20 mph winds) for me to be interested in doing much - even inside the unheated warehouse. That is why we want to head to Florida on Wednesday. Assuming the unit starts and runs I will get someplace warmer before I shut it off.
Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
My old rig and my friend's 2007 Affinity each have two 300A Class T fuses between the batteries and the Inverter/Charger.

One is in my battery compartment, and one next to the inverter. They are visible on the electrical wiring schematic in my CC Manual.

I do not know what causes them to fail, but I now carry a spare Class T fuse.

If they fail, your house battery will not charge.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, charging