Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Battery issues

Ok I have a battery issue , my rear starter battery's keep going dead ! Here's what I have done so far. Need help

1. Cleaned terminals and made sure everything is tight , and charged the battery's separate and load tested them . Both are good.

2. Tracked down the on board charger and made sure it's lit .it is a 15 amp charger that charges the 4 coach battery's and then the start battery's .

3. So I checked both leads and their in line fuses all is good there .

4. Took my tester and checked to see what or if there was a charge being produced . .08volts approx, ( not sure it tells me anything ) but 12.87 - 13.4 volts at connection blocks . Thinking though they could be back feeding from battery's and charger could still be questionable ??

So the quick fix is to just unplug the lead from the charger that gets to the back battery's and just hookup a small trickle charger to the rears and plug it in ?

But I am so anal !!! I have to know what the issue is and fix it , I can't just bypass it with another charging unit !!!!!

So I would appreciate any advice

Randy.
2005 Country Coach Magna Rembrandt
Esau Claire WI

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
1. Whether alternator or battery charger, an active charge at the chassis battery terminals should be 13.6 to 14.2 dcv.

2. The house battery will charge intially at 14.4 dcv in bulk charge mode and at 13.5 in the acceptance and float modes. (Assuming you have conventional wet cell battery)

The above readings need to be measured at the battery terminals to determine that the battery is receiving a charge.

If you are getting the above results and still have drained chassis batteries then the batteries need to be tested or you have a power draw draining the battery.

If you do not get the above results, then the charging source is not working properly or the connectors between charger and battery are faulty.

(I assume by "back" batteries, you mean Chassis batteries. I have to assume because all my batteries except the generator starting battery are in the back.)

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

Thanks you ,yes sorry I mean chassis battery's (2) chassis and (4) coach (house)

Testing the chassis battery's at their terminals when it is plugged in ?

My coach charger only will charge the chassis battery's when , the coach battery's are no longer are calling for a charge. i always keep the coach plunged in so both sets of battery's should get charged ?

The chassis battery's are linked together so they would back feed each other ,so I did disconnect them and tested one at a time (Load Tested) both were good .

Can I test the chassis battery's when the engine is running to see if I get the 13.6 to 14.2 volts ? And is the alternator working ?

If I had an alternator problem wouldn't that show up in my coach information screen ( silver Leaf System) I have run diagnostics through the SLS all seemed good .

A draw can take for ever to track down , but sense it is the chassis battery's they only feed the starting portion of the coach I think? Your thoughts ?

Can the alternator be tested in ? Or unplugged with engine running will work to test alt?

Thank you

Randy.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

Start the coach, and with the engine runnning you should get 14+ volts at the chassis batteries.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Yes, start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery terminals at about 1000 RPM.

The chassis batteries are likely 12v 8D connected in Parallel. Measure the voltage at the positive and negative terminals with wire leads extending beyond the battery bank.

If the alternator is charging properly (you should be able to read this also on the silverleaf I think), turn off the engine, plug the rig to shore connection or run the generator.

Then measure the same terminals after a couple of minutes to determine if a charge is coming from the house battery to the chassis battery.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Randy, it is a good bet that your Echo Charger has failed as did mine a couple of years ago. The symptom is a dead chassis battery when plugged in. The LED lights on the device should report failure.

Temporary work around is to use at least size 4 wire to jump across the combiner solenoid. Repair is to replace the Echo Charger with the Magnum Battery Combiner. Better product than the Echo Charger. I have installed it in my Magna.

http://magnumenergy.com/wp-content/u...ME-SBC-web.pdf

Good luck
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #7

Thank you everyone ,

I plan to do these test this weekend I am guessing that it is the Echo charger as well but the green light is on with no faults so ? And the Silver Leaf System also has no faults that show .

Can the Echo charger be tested for output at the unit? their are only three wires two hots and I ground , what kind of reading would one want to get or what should it be ?

Thanks All

Randy.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Randy,
If you google "echo charger trouble shooting" you can find the manual that has everything you need to know about the charger.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Thanks Don I'll print it out !

Appreciate the help.

Tags
battery