Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #15

Roy1........thanks for your suggestion of testing the draw on the battery system. However, I am no exoert on batteries and do not know hiw to do a test. I was wondering if you could walk me thru it and what I need to make a draw test. It hopefully is no big deal and I am a quick study. Thanks for your help.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
Roy1........thanks for your suggestion of testing the draw on the battery system. However, I am no exoert on batteries and do not know hiw to do a test. I was wondering if you could walk me thru it and what I need to make a draw test. It hopefully is no big deal and I am a quick study. Thanks for your help.
A quick check would be to turn everything off and then disconnect one terminal from the battery and bridge the gap with a 12v lightbulb. The brightness of the bulb will give a rough estimation of the drain on the battery when everything is off. A more accurate measure would be to use an ammeter, but a light will give you an idea.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just jumping in on this thread.

What you need is a good energy audit of your rig. There are plenty of other threads and web pages about doing an energy audit. Basically you need an accurate means to measure the watts or amps every thing on your rig uses. All of this involves Ohms Law, that in short says that Watts = volts x Amps, or Amps = Watts/Volts. The voltage is fairly constant at about 12.2 to 12.6, depending on state of charge (SoC). So if you measure either of the two, you get the third value.

If you have a good battery monitor like a TriMetric 2030 or similar you have what you need. If not you could and should probably add one. There's no other good way to really monitor your batteries. Another option is to use a 12 volt dc amp meter like ESI 687 80 Amps DC/AC Low Current Probe/DMM. This meter is good down to a few milliamps. If you use an amp meter it has to be sensitive at fractional amp readings. The jaws on the meter clamps around a wire and measures the amps passing through it. For loads where you can't easily clamp around the wire you can use a fuse buddy device like: ESI 308B Fuse Buddy ATC Current Loop. This plugs into a standard ATO style fuse base and the current passes through a loop which the meter clamps around.

Either way, you need to ensure every 12 volt device is disabled except the one you are going to measure. Basically pull every 12 volt fuse in the entire rig and turn off any 12v DC breakers. If you don't know where all of your fuses are located this is a good time to find them. Some may be glass type fuses.

Make a list of every 12 v item and turn on one and only thing at a time, measure and record the watts or amps it draws. This also means turn on only light at time where multiple lights are on the fuse. It is likely you'll find that different light fixtures of the same type and same bulbs will draw different amounts. Then pull its fuse and go on to the next item. Don't forget items like your propane alarm and any other 12 volt powered alarm devices.

Once you have all this data, you'll make it into a table like a spread sheet, or just on paper if you prefer. Next to each item list the number of hours or decimal hours you think each device is used in a typical 24 hour period. Then multiple these two numbers to get either WattHours or AmpHours. Total these to to get a total power used in 24 hours.

If you have an inverter to produce 120 volt power from the 12 volt system, test each 120 volt device you would use in such a mode. Don't forget the inverter loses some power in the conversion process.

This will give you an accurate estimate how much 12 volt power you'll use in 24 hours. The big kicker is the furnace fan and is highly variable in usage. Keep in mind what others have said that for lead acid batteries you should only draw down the top 50% of the capacity at most. So if you have say 4 6 volt batteries in a typical series/parallel configuration you have total AHrs of 2 x the AHr rating of one battery. (if rated at 220AHrs each then you have 440 AHrs total capacity or 220 Ahrs of useable power). If your total from the energy audit is less than the useable battery capacity you may be good. You really do not want to draw down the batteries that much every day. I like keeping mine no lower than about 80% and most commonly about 97 to 92% in the morning.

The next consideration is the time required to recharge how ever much power you've used. This depends on may factors. Are you on shore power, generator and/or solar and if you're stationary the following day or on the move. This is all another discussion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #18

Well you have been instructed on away to narrow down phantom loads. A simple suggestion. You do need a digital dc ammeter capable of reading 10 amps. With a battery cable disconnected connect one lead of the ammeter to the bare battery terminal and the other to the cable you took off . It is imperative that nothing is turned on no lights nothing. If the ammeter reads 1/2 an amp or less it is acceptable if it reads like 2 amps you should really pull out one fuse at a time till you find the circuit that is drawing down your batteries .when you find out which circuit fuse is the problem check each item that is in that circuit till you find the culprit . It could be several circuits causing a phantom load that need to be checked out. I know my propane detector solenoid drew about 1 amp all the time .

Tags
battery