RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Battery question

Three years ago we bought a 2001 Intrigue from a dealer in Mesa, AZ. They put two new batteries in the coach just before we bought it, but put crank batteries for the house batteries. The big 8n series....150 lbs kind. We have tried to boondock several times, and my wife and I use cpaps. The batteries do not make it through the night. ....which has caused us great stress several times. Was wondering if two huge batteries like these are not enough to run our breathing machines, plus the fan on the refrigerator. .....or is there something else helping to drain them too low?

daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Furnace will drain the batteries, refrig on propane uses a lot of 12v juice. YOu should have engine start batteries AND house batteries. Your Cpap should tell you how much juice they use.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

You mentioned 8n battery . Could it be 8d ? A 8d deep cycle battery is around 250ah. With 2 of them, you would have 500 ah full capacity , or 250ah at 50% discharge. If you are running an inverter , that would give you 3kw hrs of power , or 250 watts for 12 hrs. Depending on your loads, you might not have enough power to make it through the night. To fully recharge the batteries , the generator would have to run about 4 hrs.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not the weight of the batteries but their capacity. How many amp hours are the batteries rated? What is their state of charge? How many watts are your CPAP machines? Are the CPAPs 12v or are you running an inverter? Inverters consume power in making 12v DC into 120v AC. You might investigate using 12v CPAP machines if you're not already doing so.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig has 4 8D batteries and I have the autostart set at 12.2 which is 50% charge, but that's under a load and voltage should be measured with no load. I need to reset it a couple .10's lower.
What voltage are you reading in the morning?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

Our coach came with 2 8d batteries and they were wired incorrectly although they worked. We had the same issue, so I installed 2 new 8d batteries and same thing. In that same year I cooked one of the new batteries. I had them wired wrong even though that's how they came to us wired. You want to make sure your positive coach and inverter cable are on one battery or bank and the negative coach and inverter cable is on the other battery or bank. You want the flow in and out of both batteries or banks to be equal. Take a pic if you can. Here is my upgrade to 4 6 volts and how I wired them.

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Here's a great article on wiring your batteries for max performance, just click on the "multimedia" box and it will down load a PDF file with the article.
You might also start investigating solar. FYI I have a 2002 36' Intrigue and the parasitic load is 65- 70 amps/day. (basic draw with all lights off and nothing running is 2.6-2.9 amp hrs.) If you're not going to do it your self find a reputable solar installer and have a long chat with them about your power needs. Here's the site for the article on batteries. Good luck

Balance Of Power - Batteries in a motorhome -
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
Three years ago we bought a 2001 Intrigue from a dealer in Mesa, AZ. They put two new batteries in the coach just before we bought it, but put crank batteries for the house batteries. The big 8n series....150 lbs kind. We have tried to boondock several times, and my wife and I use cpaps. The batteries do not make it through the night. ....which has caused us great stress several times. Was wondering if two huge batteries like these are not enough to run our breathing machines, plus the fan on the refrigerator. .....or is there something else helping to drain them too low?
Here is a link that may help: RV Electrical
Old 03-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #9

Perhaps you need two 8D deep storage batteries rather than the 8N batteries.

Another option is 4 6v Golf Cart Batteries. Similar amp hrs capacity but a bit cheaper and easier to carry.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #10

I suspect you have two 8Dís as others have mentioned and they are likely starter batteries (as you suspect) and not true deep cycle batteries. I had the same issue when I bought my coach. Adding solar, although a nice supplement, will not make the batteries last longer through the night assuming youíre starting from a full charge state. You want true deep cycle batteries for the house side of the system, not starting batteries. Donít confuse cranking amps (starter battery capacity) with amp hour ratings. You can spend big dollars replacing them with AGMís and increasing the amp hours or you could also consider replacing them with four or six 6V golf cart batteries (however many you can fit), which is what I did. I purchased the golf cart batteries from Costco. Iíve been very happy with the change and ended up with a 33% increased capacity overall. In my case, to fit the 5th and 6th batteries I had to modify the battery tray by adding 1.25Ē depth to the battery tray which was fairly easy to do. Either way, I think youíll be happier with four 6V batteries than the two 8D starter batteries. Plus, deep cycle batteries can handle being discharged much better than starter batteries. I donít know if the four 6Vís will be adequate to run the CPAPís all night or not.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #11

8Ds I've seen are rated in CCA and are NOT true deep cycle like GCs and others.
You will kill a start or so called "dual purpose" batty much sooner than a deep cycle batty by running them down to 50% often.
Read...
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

As mentioned by others in prior posts.

8D batteries are rated in Amp Hrs if they are deep cycle batteries.

Two of them will slightly surpass 4 golf cart batteries in 400+ Amp Hr ratings for the pair.

There are also Category 8D starting batteries.

The OEM batteries on my rig way back in 1995 were both Category 8D Interstate batteries. Two were rated for 1200 CCA and two for 225 Amp Hrs.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #13

Good batteries make a huge difference. I would guess that replacing your chassis starter batteries with two 8D house batteries will get you longer times to needing to charge. We have 4 8D AGMs and our coach is all electric. We easily make it to the morning without getting below 12.6.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #14

You might to check your battery bank to see how much of a phantom load you have .It could be excessive and running down your batteries. The propane detector draws a lot of power if it is the type with the solenoid valve that shuts off the propane at the tank.

Tags
battery