Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Battery replacement

Hi, I am a new owner of an 99 Allure 36 DTSG. Of course the previous owner said he had no problem with the batteries even though they were 5 years old, well guess what? first night dry camping, dead batteries. I have charged them several times and next morning they are dead. So I have been searching and trying to decide whether to go with less expensive wet or more expensive AGM. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.. Thanks
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #2

Batteries are the single most frustrating issue-buy cheap-maybe they last, maybe they don't. Spend 2x; (AGM) maybe they last, maybe they don't. One thing for sure you have to keep them charged. Just try taking your rig to a shop for a week and when you pick it up-dead batteries. So double check your charging system; AGMs don't require water and have somewhat better discharge characteristics. But cost 2x lead acid. The best battery? Lithium, but 10x the cost of flooded lead acid. Maybe the price will come down, we wait.

Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

The general concurrence on here is that for the best bang for the buck, 2, 4 or even 6 FLA 6 volt GC2 batteries for the house side 12v. Generally the best brand by cost and amp hours is Trojan T105 golf cart batteries.
You can find cheaper that are cost-wise but then also quality-wise.
I went with 4 that cost me $125 (or $500 total).
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Sams Club or Costco about $85 each.... I'm not sure Trojans would go more than 1-1/2 the life of the others and thats just to break even...2x the life doubtful??
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Batterys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
Hi, I am a new owner of an 99 Allure 36 DTSG. Of course the previous owner said he had no problem with the batteries even though they were 5 years old, well guess what? first night dry camping, dead batteries. I have charged them several times and next morning they are dead. So I have been searching and trying to decide whether to go with less expensive wet or more expensive AGM. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.. Thanks
I just bought (2) batterys (31 group) at Sams Club for $98. NAPA had the same for $130. Interstate Dealer in town had them for $135. I was happy with Sams.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I have 4 Lifelines in our coach and couldn't be more pleased with the performance. Expensive, yes. Much nicer than the wet batteries that I've had in previous coaches.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

I had thought about the 6V GC batteries, that's what I had in my 5th wheel. I did see that Sam's also has a Duracell 8D battery for $192. Its a shame that both coach batteries only have two bad cells.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

The Sams Club 8D battery, for $192. is a starting battery. You don't need that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Ok thanks, so I could use this for my chassis battery, and four 6v for the coach.. Also does the inverter need to be on to charge the batteries from shore power? thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #10

AGM lifeline batteries are great. Expensive but worth the money
Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
Ok thanks, so I could use this for my chassis battery, and four 6v for the coach.. Also does the inverter need to be on to charge the batteries from shore power? thanks
Most inverters are combination chargers/inverters. So, yes, the charging function of the inverter/charger must be turned on to charge your batteries while on shore power. I have a Magnum inverter/charger and there are buttons on the remote to turn both the inverter and the charger on or off. \

I have six 6V Full River AGM GC2 batteries. They have served me well since 2013. The advantage of AGM is no maintenance, can be mounted in any position, and no gassing/corrosion in battery bay. Disadvantage is higher cost.

Good 6V GC2 wet cell batteries would be your best choice in terms of cost and function, especially if you add one of the Qwik Fill automatic watering systems. The Qwik Fill lets you easily add water.

Also, depending on which inverter/charger you have, the charging profile for wet cell vs. AGM is different. Make sure you set your charger profile for whichever batteries you get.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #12

Remember Sam's clubs are closing stores.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #13

As far as house batteries are concerned, if you Boondock a lot AGM Lifelines are worth the money since in addition to the other factors you will find that they charge a lot more quickly than lead-acid flooded batteries. The extra you pay initially will be more than compensated for by less generator time and diesel. If you don't Boondock, Trojan flooded golf cart batteries are excellent.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #14

There are a lot of different thoughts on the batteries and they are for the most part all good. I have the same coach as yours and initially looked at going with the AGM batts. I talked to the engineers at the factory and like others have said the advantage is once you put them in you never have to look at them again.

I think an important factor is will you be doing a ton of dry camping or mostly connected to shore power? If dry camping is your plan two things to consider. AGM just go play and don't worry about them. If you are the mechanical type and like to putter around the coach then go with the wet cell and make sure you check them, save the extra money for the cold ones

Your coach has what I call an easy battery compartment to access. Three 8D's and if you have the wet cells that have the screw tops they are easy to check and fill. In fact I bought a battery filler from NAPA that I had for years to fill them and found that if you check them regularly, keep them filled they will last upwards of 5+ years.

I have always used Deka batteries and had good service out of them. About 10 years ago they moved to "non gassing" battery but still had a flat access screw cap that you could take off and check and fill if needed. I have yet to see any leakage or wet area around the caps and never did have to fill them.

I finally gave my batt bottle to my buddy that has a bunch of the 6 volt wet cells. Also if you are planning on doing a ton of dry camping I'll agree with others on the forum that the move to 4 of the 6 volt batteries in a series / parallel circuit will give you more amp hours then the 8D's will. If you go this way only change out the house batteries and leave the 8D for the chassis in. (MHO)

One last thing is if you can keep your coach plugged in when stored it helps a ton. Batteries last a lot longer when kept charged opposed to allowing them to go dead and then recharge. It just takes more material off of the plates each time, weakening the battery and shorting the life.

Hope this helps and good luck + welcome to forum...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement