Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every time I have traveled for a time and go near the rear of the coach, I get a whiff of coolant. The only leak ever found was an elbow in some of the coolant plumbing lower left side of engine bay. I never see coolant anywhere and I can't detect any loss in the sight glass. I need to check the radiator cap but don't think that is the issue.

I do wonder if it is the first signs of impending radiator failure .

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hose end going into the engine block on the drivers side above the coolant filter. Has one of the constant pressure clamps on it too so I'm not sure why it's leaking.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got it apart with no trouble, took about hour from start to everything open including emptying the closet. Exactly as pictures show earlier. One problem is that the bolts (12 of them) were tight, but the washer was not holding anything. Need to go get a few star lockwashers and add to them.
Installed the Ugly Fix module, and found I didn't need to take the hatch open as I could crawl in through the side door and get to it. Wasn't a lost cause though as the leaking hose required it. Tightened the spring down on the hose clamp and I'll watch it for any more leaking.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #18

Good job! What is the Ugly Fix module?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4444 View Post
Good job! What is the Ugly Fix module?
Check here: The Ugly Fix® Cummins EGR Control Module® Delete - Cummins EGR Performance Module Delete Kit (The Ugly Fix™)
Keeps the EGR valve closed
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Every time I have traveled for a time and go near the rear of the coach, I get a whiff of coolant. The only leak ever found was an elbow in some of the coolant plumbing lower left side of engine bay. I never see coolant anywhere and I can't detect any loss in the sight glass. I need to check the radiator cap but don't think that is the issue.

I do wonder if it is the first signs of impending radiator failure .
You might try "burping" your cooling system.

Air in the system forced coolant out of my surge tank overflow during a six month period. Very little trace, but the surge tank would get low and set off an engine shut down routine on hard curves like a cloverleaf highway entrance.

After $600 of expert investigation to no avail, I impulsively did the procedure and it solved the problem.

Instructions are on my surge tank.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #21

That sounds like a good idea. Can you please post the instructions? I don't see any on my surge tank, nor in my manuals.

Sometimes, at altitude (6000 ft or more) I will see a little coolant on mud flap. I guess burped past the radiator cap on surge tank. I am going to try a new radiator cap, but it may be the nature of the beast at altitude...
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4444 View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Can you please post the instructions? I don't see any on my surge tank, nor in my manuals.

Sometimes, at altitude (6000 ft or more) I will see a little coolant on mud flap. I guess burped past the radiator cap on surge tank. I am going to try a new radiator cap, but it may be the nature of the beast at altitude...
The instructions for my rig are also in the Gillig and CC manuals. It is part of the replacing coolant or adding coolant routine. My shop failed to execute when they replaced the coolant.

I have a bleed valve behind the surge tank that one opens while the engine is running. When only liquid flows, close it up.

Your more modern rig probably is different.

Unfortunately, I have to access the valve from the bedroom, not the engine hatch.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #23

So I have this petcock (far right in photo) that looks like a good place to open and bleed any air from cooling system, looks like the right place. That black hose goes to the top of surge tank, so it is vapor there. What do you think? I guess I would do it when it is warm, and be careful to route it where I won't get burned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	131225  

Tags
engine