Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Before I break something..

I have a fluorescent light fixture in the bedroom of my 2005 Inspire that is not working. I have checked the switch and bulbs and they are fine. I figure the next thing to check would be the ballast. I removed all the screws around the perimeter of the fixture and can't get the fixture to come out. is there anything else I need to remove or just force it? It seems pretty tight like there is something else to remove but I don't see anything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you remove the bulbs and the center cover over the ballast? Sometime the manufacturers put screws under the ballast cover.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I removed the bulbs but have had trouble getting the ballast cover off. Any tips on that?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I removed the bulbs but have had trouble getting the ballast cover off. Any tips on that?
Most ballast covers you just pinch them together and they pull right out.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

On the one fixture that I worked on over my sink, the ballast cover is held by metal tabs on the edges. Just squeeze the cover and it should come off. My fixture was not held in by anything except friction and the wooden/lens cover.

When my ballast went bad, I replaced the ballast and bulbs with LED strips with adhesive backing. Just as bright and I hope I never have to replace the 'bulbs'.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Instead of replacing the ballast, why not replace the bulbs and ballast with a led bulb strip. You would never have to replace anything again. These ballast are not that great and the life of a led is about 40 thousand hours. Also you can replace the ballast without removing the light.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Instead of replacing the ballast, why not replace the bulbs and ballast with a led bulb strip. You would never have to replace anything again. These ballast are not that great and the life of a led is about 40 thousand hours. Also you can replace the ballast without removing the light.
Tell me more. One of the four 15" flourescent fixtures in one of the overhead lights is not working. The bulb is fine. Can all the flourescent fixtures be replaced with one long led strip?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #8

Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Tell me more. One of the four 15" flourescent fixtures in one of the overhead lights is not working. The bulb is fine. Can all the flourescent fixtures be replaced with one long led strip?
Yes! They make kits that are designed to replace the bulbs and ballast in 12V flourescent lights. The bulbs are strip lights that have sticky backing and just press in place. You just splice in a couple of wires and you are good to go. You can find them on line.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
http://www.prudentrver.com/ledfleds.html#fleds
welcome to jclampstand.com!
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I have a fluorescent light fixture in the bedroom of my 2005 Inspire that is not working. I have checked the switch and bulbs and they are fine. I figure the next thing to check would be the ballast. I removed all the screws around the perimeter of the fixture and can't get the fixture to come out. is there anything else I need to remove or just force it? It seems pretty tight like there is something else to remove but I don't see anything.
. You would call it a pressure fit. After the four screws are removed slip something flat between the ceiling and light fixture and pry out. I have done this's my times.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
apollocat is correct. I had a very difficult time getting them unstuck from the ceiling without ripping the material. Use a plastic squeegee or something and I had to pound it in between the fixture and ceiling and then add another close to it. I replaced all the bulbs with LED strips in my Inspire.
( Inexpensive Fluorescent to LED Upgrade)

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote