Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Best choice for Satellite antenna?

I'm new to all this. I have a Direct tv receiver. Pros and cons of a roof mount vs a carry-out version? I see many choices; is there a clear favorite re brands? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came with the MotoSat (now out of business) and it worked fine till the controller burned out. I just bought an installed a new RF Mogul Eagle RE-1 controller and we're back in business. Had I not had that option (kept it on Direct TV and HD) I'd have gone to a dome and SD as it would have been cheaper. The new controller was $850 and that was a sale, $895 otherwise.
In all the years we've had a satellite receiver I've only needed a portable one once and even then I'm not sure that was the problem as we were in a clear area and the only thing that might have been a problem was a dead, scraggly tree.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winegard Trav'ler works best unless under trees or blocked by some thing. Only time I had a problem was at Lake Tahoe under trees. Wish I had a carry out then.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #4

If I could only have one, it would be a roof top. Easy setup and works in many places. However, this past year our travels have largely been in wooded areas and we have used a carry-out antenna almost 50% of the time. One advantage of a carry -out; it will work almost anyplace a rooftop will and more (ours is HD dish size). Also, they are better in strong winds.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Winegard Traveler SWM unless you know you will be often under trees. If so, then no roof mount dish/dome is going to be useful.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

You mentioned you had Direct receiver. Are you sticking to Direct TV or are you looking at Dish Network?

We use Dish Network. I gave up on the dome antenna and strictly use the Winguard Pathway X2 portable dish. I found it finds the 3 satellites much quicker and as you change channels it can change from one satellite to another in the blink of an eye. The dome took forever and was noisy.

The X2 is easy to set up and since we love the out of the way campgrounds with lots of trees, and this option gives us a way to get around the trees and see the sky. The X2 is HD compatible and you can hook up two receivers to it. It can easily lock onto the 3 Eastern satellites or the 3 Western satellites.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
For DirecTV the only way to go is a Trav'ler SWM roof mounted.
Pros.
1. Push button and dish finds and locks onto satellites 99/101/103.
2. No need to take up storage room to store a big portable dish/mounting stand and all the wiring etc.
3. For tree problems ask when checking in, for a spot your roof mounted dish will work at. Most campgrounds know the best sites for that.
4. For overnight stops just push button and have TV in a short time. Or spend all that extra time to drag out of storage the big portable dish and setting it up. And hope it isn't raining then or the next morning when needing to take it all down and back in storage.

Cons.
1. After having a Trav'ler for over 7 years. I haven't found a con of owning it.
Other then I did have to update mine with a 5 LNB too a SWM.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Pros.
2. No need to take up storage room to store a big portable dish/mounting stand and all the wiring etc.
3. For tree problems ask when checking in, for a spot your roof mounted dish will work at. Most campgrounds know the best sites for that.
4. For overnight stops just push button and have TV in a short time. Or spend all that extra time to drag out of storage the big portable dish and setting it up. And hope it isn't raining then or the next morning when needing to take it all down and back in storage.

Cons.
1. After having a Trav'ler for over 7 years. I haven't found a con of owning it.
Just about covers it. No carry out for me. If I get stuck in the trees, I can live without TV for awhile
Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

On carry outs...don't you need to worry about it being stolen???
Old 10-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our rig came with the MotoSat (now out of business) and it worked fine till the controller burned out. I just bought and installed a new RF Mogul Eagle RE-1 controller and we're back in business. Had I not had that option (kept it on Direct TV and HD) I'd have gone to a dome and SD as it would have been cheaper. The new controller was $850 and that was a sale, $895 otherwise.
In all the years we've had a satellite receiver I've only needed a portable one once and even then I'm not sure that was the problem as we were in a clear area and the only thing that might have been a problem was a dead, scraggly tree.
I guess I should have added: The best one for us was the one we already have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #11

If you do not want HD reception with DTV then we have found the Winegard Roadtrip In-Motion dome to perform quite well.

We paid about $900 for it from Amazon a couple of years ago to replace our KVH dome.

No regrets.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Pros.

Cons.
One big Con is the price. My X2 cost me about $300. The Trav'ler ?

Quote:
MarkofSJC On carry outs...don't you need to worry about it being stolen???
We have used ours for just over 2 years now and so far so good. No one has touched it. I do worry about someone swiping the water regulator, and the surge protector, and the water hose. I once had someone mention he wanted to swipe my wife when he found out how well she can cook!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Just had my RF Mogul updated yesterday in Junction City Or. to the new Eagle 2 Direct TV SWM , $1,500 installed . I would stay with RF Mogul nothing to drag out or put away and made in USA. Just push the button and 3 minutes later your watching TV
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Just about covers it. No carry out for me. If I get stuck in the trees, I can live without TV for awhile
If you have a DirecTV Genie Receiver.
You probably have enough recorded movies/programs to last a few nights/days on it to watch, while in the trees.

Plus a good chance the roof mounted Batwing can receive many channel's.

Tags
antenna, satellite