Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Best insurance Co. for full timers

After 5 years, Nationwide just raised my rates over 50%. No claims, no nothing. "Lot of claims on motorhomes of this length and age" is the only explanation. Who offers affordable insurance for full-timers? FMCA? Good Sam?

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.

Best of luck!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just got insurance from The Hartford through AARP. Saved me about $2,000 over what Allied wanted to renew. Hoping the cost is not a mistake on Hartfords part. Almost had a problem though as Hartford won't insure a MH if you paid over $350,000 for it. At first they rejected me as I gave them the original cost, then I found out all the wanted to know was how much we paid and we were under their limit at $349,000. Then they took it OK, but we're NOT fulltimers and that was one of the questions they asked.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

We are with National Interstate. We pay a pretty hefty premium because we are considered full timers as we spend more that 120 days a year in the coach. We also have full replacement value if the coach is totaled. This is something we cannot get if the coach is over 5 years old which it is. We also have Mexico coverage which would otherwise cost almost $1K/yr .

So, it looks like we pay a lot, it isn't that bad. If our coach burned up tomorrow, the insurance company would allow us to buy a coach worth $263K. In today's world, that is a lot of coach. Hopefully we will never run into that situation.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

We too are with National Interstate. They were half the cost of the next cheapest. However, we are not full time. And I also had to add a roadside assistance on top of what we had, but it was still a lot cheaper than any other quotes for me. FWIW, I am at just over $600 per year with them.
Spectre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I just got insurance from The Hartford through AARP. Saved me about $2,000 over what Allied wanted to renew. Hoping the cost is not a mistake on Hartfords part. Almost had a problem though as Hartford won't insure a MH if you paid over $350,000 for it. At first they rejected me as I gave them the original cost, then I found out all the wanted to know was how much we paid and we were under their limit at $349,000. Then they took it OK, but we're NOT fulltimers and that was one of the questions they asked.
I wasn't aware that The Hartford offered fulltime liability coverage. Is this new for them in the last year?? When we checked them 18 months ago they did not offer it

That being said, we have been GEICO for 30 years. It was a no brainer to stay with them. They had just started offering fulltime liability in 2007 when we started out
We have had excellent service all these years so even a somewhat cheaper premium won't entice us away
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #7

Yes I am with the Hartford for my truck. They don't ensure full timers for motorhomes
Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #8

I should have said I'm with Nationwide Allied. According to a broker I spoke with today what's really going on is that Allied has decided to no longer insure motor homes over 32 feet. So in essence they're trying to force us out. He said that they will not take any new motorhome over 32ft. they wanted out of the business. I don't know if that's true but that's what he said.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I wasn't aware that The Hartford offered fulltime liability coverage. Is this new for them in the last year?? When we checked them 18 months ago they did not offer it.
No idea, it was just one of the questions asked when I was doing a quote over the internet. I answered no so there's no way to know unless I went back and tried again.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
We also have full replacement value if the coach is totaled. This is something we cannot get if the coach is over 5 years old which it is.
If our coach burned up tomorrow, the insurance company would allow us to buy a coach worth $263K. In today's world, that is a lot of coach. Hopefully we will never run into that situation.
That was one of the things we lost when we traded the '02 DSDP in last year and went to a different ins co.
Right now book is more than we paid (or it was when we bought it) so we wouldn't get full replacement, just what we paid.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I should have said I'm with Nationwide Allied. According to a broker I spoke with today what's really going on is that Allied has decided to no longer insure motor homes over 32 feet. So in essence they're trying to force us out. He said that they will not take any new motorhome over 32ft. they wanted out of the business. I don't know if that's true but that's what he said.
Could be because Allied came in at over $4,200 for both cars and MH. Going to Hartford lowered it by over $2,000!
Waiting for the paperwork to arrive as I set up the premium payment yesterday.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #12

Full Timers should have a real Full Timers Ins Policy with coverage the same as what they carried on their S&B Homes.
Comp/collision (auto), personal property, Additional Living Expenses (if home can not be occupied), Personal Liability (slip fall/accidents---lawyers sue), Medical, replacement OR agreed value.
In addition to above we also had 'custom equipment' & roadside assist.

National Interstate,,,,hands down!!
They do Full Timers Ins. and have great customer service/claims dept.

You use a ins. broker to get policy and then deal directly with National Interstate for any claims.
Explorer RV or Millers are brokers
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last year we were finally able to get Millers to find us a quote that we took. Several times in the past I tried them and never got much, in fact one time they even called and asked me what I was paying. I refused to tell them and they never got back to me. That's their job, to find a quote that I liked, not lowball me after finding out what I was already paying.
This year I just went looking on my own and, hopefully, did OK as what we had last year was outrageous this year.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #14

We switched from National Interstate to FMCA this year, saved us almost $1000 for the exact same coverage.
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance