Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Best wax for my coach

has anybody found a wax or rubbing compound that helps with checking in the paint. I know you can't make it go away but something that helps.

I have tried some 3M products but it seems like a lot of work with the same results as car wax when done?

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - I use a black colored wax. The wax residue that gets caught in the 'check' is black instead of white and just makes the check less visible under most lighting conditions. I have found the Turtle Wax color magic works as well as the more expensive ones. Only use it on the black - it will darken everything.

Alan
02 Windsor

Old 08-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks I will try that
Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Alan, thank you that stuff is great I bought the TW black color and used it on Black, cherry and brown the check marks blend in and are hard to notice. I have to highly recommend that stuff for waxing dark colors.

Again thanks
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Has anybody found anything to actually prevent the checking???
Has anybody been using anything that has made it 10+ years before the checking started?

I don't understand why checking is just accepted on a $300k+ RV. If checking happened on a $20k car that was 6 years old people would be SCREAMING at the manufacturers, but on an RV they just put up with it and watch the value of their RV drop as a result.
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Best wax for my coach

Many people have been recommending Rejex.

Rejex
Old 08-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
Has anybody found anything to actually prevent the checking???
Has anybody been using anything that has made it 10+ years before the checking started?

I don't understand why checking is just accepted on a $300k+ RV. If checking happened on a $20k car that was 6 years old people would be SCREAMING at the manufacturers, but on an RV they just put up with it and watch the value of their RV drop as a result.
I don't think you can find anything to stop checking. My coach is approaching 14 and I am beginning to see some checking in the darker color. With a 90 deg day, the tan color will see about 100 and the dark stripe will see upwards of 200. Temp readings were done with a infrared gun.

The problem is not with CC alone. I have seen Monacos,Travel Supreme, Winnies, and a couple of others with severe checking that was so bad you could see it from 25ft away.

IIRC, CC was involved in a suit related to the checking, CC claimed it was the fiberglass manufacturer that had the problem and they filed against them. Unfortunately the bankruptcy put a stop to it.

Oh, by the way, I do use Rejex and recommend it for everything. I use it on the windshield, windows, Alcoa wheels, fiberglass shower, and the corian counter tops
Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

I use surf city garage products. They are the best. However I do not like their wash products
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the process of doing ours with Dry Wash N Guard. I used to be a distributor/dealer for them but gave it up years ago. Still use the products though as they're the best I've ever tried, but then I haven't tried everything yet, either!
What I like is the ultra slick finish and being able to apply it in full sun. Keeps the water spots off too. In fact I use it on the windshield and usually don't have to turn on the wipers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Many people have been recommending Rejex.

Rejex
+1 RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In the process of doing ours with Dry Wash N Guard. I used to be a distributor/dealer for them but gave it up years ago. Still use the products though as they're the best I've ever tried, but then I haven't tried everything yet, either!
What I like is the ultra slick finish and being able to apply it in full sun. Keeps the water spots off too. In fact I use it on the windshield and usually don't have to turn on the wipers.
x2. The PO and I have used Dri Wash N Guard on the rig for the past 20 years. I also used it on my 40' Silverton boat.

Put it on 2x per year. In between use a wet rag to wash and dry towel to buff the shine.

My rig has had very little soap used to clean it since soap removes the stuff.

Still get compliments from fellow Rvers.

I do not and have not sold the product.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
x2. The PO and I have used Dri Wash N Guard on the rig for the past 20 years. I also used it on my 40' Silverton boat.

Put it on 2x per year. In between use a wet rag to wash and dry towel to buff the shine.

My rig has had very little soap used to clean it since soap removes the stuff.

Still get compliments from fellow Rvers.

I do not and have not sold the product.
Yep, after 13 years people still thought our Dutch Star was new and were surprised when they found out it wasn't.
I'm betting that some of these new products are based on DWG's products and are as close a copy as they can make.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
My Winnebago Journey had checking. I had the entire coach sanded, primed with high fill primer and painted/clear coated. It was stunning but the checking started to reappear in about 2 years.

As to best wax/polish, I think most any of them will do a good job if you are willing to do the work. However, as an old fart, I look for easy. I used Dri Wash for several years and it worked great. Got a good deal on some No Wet (similar stuff) and still use it. It works as well as Dri Wash. I now have the Wash Wax All system (wanted the mops with handle) and it also works well.

What really works best though is to go to Myrtle Beach, call Keep it Clean, sit in a chair drinking a beer while watching four young dudes wash and polish the entire coach .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
+1 on Rejex. But nothing we used helped with the checking on our coach due to the bad sidewall material. We eventually had Newmar re-skin our coach.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote