Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Bizzare shore power over voltage?

I am fairly handy with electricity but I am stumped on this one: I am plugged into 50 amp but I am seeing up to 130 volts on one leg on my AC feeder panel (as well as the readout on my Progressive EMS which is cutting the power when it hits 131). The voltage varies as loads change. As the one leg goes up 130, the other drops down to a 108! It seems to do it the most when the charger on my freedom 458 comes on initially. Is there anything in the coach system that can raise the shore power voltage that my coach instrumentation is seeing? I would think that the actual shore power would have to be varying, but perhaps it's something in the coach. I have never seen anything like this and it's beyond my expertise, so if anyone knows more about these things I would appreciate some ideas. I tried flipping all the breakers one by one but it doesn't seem to make a difference. If I unplug from the shore power and put my multimeter on both legs at the receptacle it's at a hundred and twenty volts.

Rich 2002 Magna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170428_200502794.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	159978  
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

That's a very typical symptom of a loose neutral either at the pedestal plug or entering the panel. Could even be upstream. Without any load the voltage between the 2 phases should look normal almost.
monitormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #3

I think it has to be something in my Magna causing this since my neighbor is plugged into the 50 amp outlet right above mine and the outlets inside his coach are at 120 volts. As loads increase on one leg in my coach, the voltage goes up on the other. What could be causing this?

Rich 2002 Magna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170428_223919216.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	159980  
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #4

Also, when you meter across both hot legs at the pedestal are you seeing 240VAC.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I think it has to be something in my Magna causing this since my neighbor is plugged into the 50 amp outlet right above mine and the outlets inside his coach are at 120 volts. As loads increase on one leg in my coach, the voltage goes up on the other. What could be causing this?

Rich 2002 Magna
If your neighbor plugs into your outlet is his coach stable? If so, that would eliminate the receptacle.

In that's the case you need to see if the neutral has become loose on the line side input of your Progressive surge protector.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #6

Loose neutral Connection......

Inside power pedestal
Inside transfer switch
Inside Main AC Power Panel

Loose neutral connection........tighten all of YOURs in your rig
Have CG check/tighten inside power pedestal connection on 50A receptacle IF it does same when neighbor plugs his rig in to test
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Loose neutral Connection......

Inside power pedestal
Inside transfer switch
Inside Main AC Power Panel

Loose neutral connection........tighten all of YOURs in your rig
Have CG check/tighten inside power pedestal connection on 50A receptacle IF it does same when neighbor plugs his rig in to test
Agree with Old-Biscuit and others as too the problem... If you have the power reel check those connections, transfer switch, main bus bar at the breaker panel. Many times without a load the VOM will show proper voltage. Once you load it up the voltages go nuts.... Good luck and make sure you find the problem.. Loose connections can cause major problems...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

I have checked everything in the coach. This problem does not occur when running off the generator, so I do not believe it can be the AC breaker panel in the coach. It appears to be a bad neutral somewhere in the shore power here at my friends ranch. An electrician is coming tomorrow snce I do not have the equipment to check that out beyond the receptacle. The only other suspect is something inside the male plug at the end of the Glenniding shore cord. I will have him check that out although it looks fine.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:55 AM   #9

Don't discount the MH wiring just because it doesn't happen on generator power.

Your generator may not be a 240 volt unit. It may have 2, 120 volt, same phase, outputs.

The output also doesn't go thru part of the transfer switch, power cord or reel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From my old days testing I always keep in mind that my test equipment can be wrong. You gauges can read incorrectly sometimes and it can be related to noise on the line, a faulty meter, etc.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #11

My EMS is wired before the transfer switch and therefore only show what is going on with shore power. This is contrary to what my electrical schematic shipped with my coach shows. So on my coach, the generator does not go through the EMS. I would first suspect the pedestal. Also, it is the most accessible.

As stated before, voltmeter testing without a load can be misleading. The fact that you only see the problem after the charger turns on and puts a load on the line indicates the you should be testing the connections with a load.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't discount the MH wiring just because it doesn't happen on generator power.

Your generator may not be a 240 volt unit. It may have 2, 120 volt, same phase, outputs.

The output also doesn't go thru part of the transfer switch, power cord or reel.
It's an 8000 watt quiet diesel. I think it does have two 120 volt legs. But the gen has to go through the transfer switch. My coach is wired from the factory with the surge protector downstream of the transfer switch. Wire number 105 goes to the surge protector which is now a Progressive EMS.

Tags
power, shore power