Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Block Heat

We're in Traverse City, Mi for the next 5 days. It's been cold 20-28 at night. I start the engine 1-2 times a day. No problems. But I was wondering, should I leave the block heat on all the time? I've never had to use it in the past. I have the HydroHot on and it's at 60deg. My barometer is a bottle of water I put outside the house, it hasn'd frozen yet.
shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

2 ways to deal with it...either plug in your block heater or use the bypass/engine line and hydrohot to keep it warm (if your year coach has that option).
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock481 View Post
We're in Traverse City, Mi for the next 5 days. It's been cold 20-28 at night. I start the engine 1-2 times a day. No problems. But I was wondering, should I leave the block heat on all the time? I've never had to use it in the past. I have the HydroHot on and it's at 60deg. My barometer is a bottle of water I put outside the house, it hasn'd frozen yet.
Why do you start the engine 1-2 times a day?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Community Moderator

On my coach, the hurricane keeps coolant warm that heats up interior. Not sure if yours is the same.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Block Heat

I was starting the engine because we had a frig and 3k inverter installed. My house batteries were discharging, because the inverter panel was not set up right. So after reading the manual I was able to figure it out.
Our coach is a 2003 Allure.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

No need to leave the block heat element on. The Hurricane is part of the coolant system and will supply some heat to the motor. As a test, turn on the ignition and look at the engine temp gauge and see than it is above ambient temp

Sounds like you are not on shore power?

Also sounds like you had the charger portion of the inverter shut off.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

I do not believe you need to leave you block in warming condition while at that temperature.

The night before you plan to leave, start heating the block.

If you have a HydroHot HHE-500-xxx series. It may have the Engine Loop. If so, that will warm you block well for you. If you are using the Diesel Burner as well as the Electric Element of the HydroHot to warm you coach heating zones - it will also take care of the engine too, once you turn on the Engine loop.

But I've got to say, I've been impressed with how well the Cummins ISL starts in cold weather, even without block heating. Do two 'Wait to Start' cycles. (Ignition on, wait to light goes out. Ignition off. Ignition back on, wait for light to go out. Then try to start your engine.) The coach heat does also provide some dampening of outside temps to the engine bay!

If you do not have the same version of HydroHot, sorry. (My 04 model Allure, was built in Sept 2003 - and that is the model we have.) If you have an electric plug type heater. Get a good 12GA minimum extension, and plug it into the 20A service if available. 15A may also cover you, but do get a good size gage extension.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Smitty, we have the same HydroHot as you. Thanks for the information about the Block Heat.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #9

The shop set the inverter up. I discovered that the charger was not on when my batteries started to drop on the indicator bar. I am on shore power. Thanks....

Tags
heat