Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
Bose 321 Stereo replacement

We have a 2004 Intrigue 42' tag with a Bose 321 stereo audio system. While the system works well enough the DVD does not play some of the newer DVD's and the stereo does not have a USB port. I can live without the DVD but we use the USB flash drives all the time. Therefore I need to replace the system. Has anyone done this! If so what problems did you encounter and how difficult was it. Also what stereo system did you reinstall in it's place.

Thanks for your time and help!

Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Replaced the entire system. Yamaha RX-S600, in a rack system. It was pricey however, I would do it again. Happy to send picture.

Wally & Elta Mae
2007 Allure 470 #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Oppo BluRay BDB-95Darby. Has a dongle for wifi connection. And we used it's rear USB to fish a USB extension cord into the cabinet next door. Able to plug any other USB into this, or thumb drive.

Marantz NR1504 Receiver - I was more interested in HiFi sound, then surround sound or 5.1. NR1504 not very tall, it is a bit deeper, so we had to feather out the plastic panel door with some cherry wood strips. This actually turned out to be a good thing, as now we have about 3/8th of an opening at the top/bottom of the plastic panel door, to allow better breathing. We also cut several 1" holes, low and up high, and a rear slot, into the side of the cabinet to the right of the entertainment panel. It also helps in cooling. We fished the power bar cord in thru the slot and plugged it into outlet in the stereo cabinet. Have this mounted up on the top back of the cabinet next door. In this cabinet next door, I also had a shelf installed, to break it into a lower and upper storage area. I have not yet installed them, by the top shelf, and power bar, are to feed hard drives where we're slowly but surely copying all of our CD's, DVD's as well as I have 4TB+ of downloaded high bit stream music. These will be fed into the Oppo BDP-95Darby. Which of course feeds our 4K 40" Samsung TV via HDMI, and I used Coax (prefer Coax over Fiber) to the Marantz NR1504.

We stream lots of Spotify, (really mis MOG), Pandora, Radio Paradise into the Oppo via the Dongle's WiFi.

The only negative to our setup is when we're boon docking, as I have to power up both the Oppo and Marantz, which consumes more amp's. We're doing pretty good, as we added 1200W of Solar Panels, and feed 800AH's of Lifelines. So, even with the higher power consumption, residential fridge, etc. - we're usually at between 70-75% SOC in the AM.

If you don't mind spending some more coin, we came real close to going with a Bose like all in one box. The Meridian G51. Has the DVD, and a very, very nice sounding amp, all in one box. It also has Trifield available, so you could use Left, Right, Center speakers, and simulate surround sound. Meridian has an earned reputation for making their digital equipment sound almost tube like analog! (I wanted the Darby feature on the Oppo. Plus, I felt the new Oppo had a better DAC then the Meridian (Better is not the right word to use, but newer and able to handle higher bit rates for streaming high fidelity music.)

Best of luck to you, and have fun,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Have you done a google search? I found a bunch of usb stuff related to your system
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
My Bose system is older and doesn't do DVD's, just CD's. I bought a small blue tooth music receiver, connected it to an auxiliary input on the Bose, and use my old smartphone as an mp3 player and connect to the Bose by blue tooth. Works for me and allows me to get some use out of the old phone.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Bose 321

Thanks for the information. I finally called Bose and talked with the service tech. First, there is not replqcement for the 321 - too old. However, Bose sells a Blue tooth adaptor that will work with the system. I still cannot plug in a usb flash drive but I can use my tablet on bluetooth to send my music to the receiver/speakers. This only costs about $60. I did see similar units on the web for much less cost. I still cannot play blueray DVD however. The new Bose Cinemate 120 only has bluetooth but requires that all the speakers be replaced. Of course you cannot use any of the existing wiring. The new unit does not have a DVD player so I am still looking at that. I spoke with Oregon Motor Coach and they replace the Bose with a Samsung 5.1 system. I do not know the cost but I think I will look into that.
Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
We have the Bose Lifestyle system with the ten speakers. For audio I just plug a wire from my iPad or iPod or iphone into the back of it with just a wire. No USB needed. Works very well. Does not sound as good as my home system, but pretty darn good. I tried to look up Bose 301 on the internet and that looks like a different system to mine. I have the one that looks like Apple made it. It is the silver metal strange shaped pod.

For video we have a completely separate system. We removed the old TVs and had Country Coach build us doors and made the place were the TVs were into cabinets. Then put in a Televator on the back of the built in desk in our main room. A flat screen comes up out of that. I have a Sony combo blue ray disk and internet system. In addition I have the Apple TV and Roku I sometimes use. The Sony is a real deal though. I paid all of 60 bucks for it on Amazon about 4 years ago and it gets all the internet channels except Apple and plays Blue Ray disks. For sound we are currently just putting a very nice TDK speaker in front of the TV. The TDK works with a wire or bluetooth. I keep thinking about hooking the TV up to the Bose, but never seem to get around to it. The TDK speaker has extremely good sound quality, better than the Bose, but much smaller sound. Works very good for TV in the small space of a motorhome. TDK cost about 130 at Amazon. The TDK has just beautiful sound. Almost as good as my huge JBLs at home. Not nearly as big a sound though. We don't use satellites any more. We use cell phone internet for 90% of our TV watching. Verizon with a booster works almost everywhere. To me this is a FAR!!! better solution than futzing around with DTV and our HD sat dish. For the 10% of the time we do not get good Verizon even with booster we watch DVDs I buy for trips. I just sell the DVDs after watching them on eBay.

B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace, replacement