Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Brake Squeal

How much is too much?

This is a new to me 2004 Inspire, and it seems to be a bit excessive at the front. 66k miles.

I do live off of a 3 miles long dirt road, and not sure if it is just dust like effects my disc brakes on the other trucks.

Thx.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

More than likely just some pad/rotor glazing. With 66K miles, the pads shouldn't be too thin. I'd still have them looked at. If the pads have worn down to the thickness of it's metal backing, it's probably time to replace.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Check the discs to make sure they are smooth. Also, check the pads to make sure they have enough meat in them. If all good, remove the pads and put some Disc Brake Quite from CRC on the back of the pads and that should stop the squeal.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

Does an 04 have disk or drums? I didn't think disk came until 08
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
At 66K, your brake pads aren't worn out. Most likely, if your coach has been sitting for awhile, there is a slight layer of rust on the drums or rotors, whichever you have. Mine will sequel if I have been in a damp area but will quit after a few stops.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Does an 04 have disk or drums? I didn't think disk came until 08
Are you serious? I thought drums in the front went away in the 70's. I remember my 66 stang with front drums and how horrible the breaking was. I couldn't imagine them in a motorhome. We are spoiled with 4 wheel discs with ABS. You can really get on them.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Are you serious? I thought drums in the front went away in the 70's. I remember my 66 stang with front drums and how horrible the breaking was. I couldn't imagine them in a motorhome. We are spoiled with 4 wheel discs with ABS. You can really get on them.
Better question, are YOU serious? This is a '04 CC not a Foretravel.

I'd thought about rust on the drums too, but it hasn't diminished with use. The other morning when in stop and go Phoenix morning traffic, it was pretty bad. I'm wondering if the pads might be glazed.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
Better question, are YOU serious? This is a '04 CC not a Foretravel.

I'd thought about rust on the drums too, but it hasn't diminished with use. The other morning when in stop and go Phoenix morning traffic, it was pretty bad. I'm wondering if the pads might be glazed.
Better question yet, do YOU have drums or discs in the front? I would have thought discs, but it was mentioned that they didn't have them until 08.

Remember, we are trying to help here.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

My Beaver had a terrible squeal/howl in the front. The wheel bearings were loose. I had them repacked and adjusted and the noise went away.
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

On an 04, you most likely have Drum Brakes. If the coach is new to you I suggest you (assuming you can't do this yourself) have the wheels/drums removed for inspection and ask the shop to show you what they find.
I had 3 different shops tell me the brakes were good. Finally I decided to have the drums removed to check why the brakes were squealing. Found the shoes loose on the backing, drums scored beyond resurfacing, leaking rear axle seal.
Replaced all shoes, drums, hardware and new axle seal. No more squeal.
Nothing that a couple grand won't cure.

Tags
brake