RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Question Buying 2009 CC

I am strongly considering upgrading from a 2016 Alpine 5th wheel to a 2009 CC Pikes Peak 600 Veranda model. Coach has a 600 Hp Cummins on a Dynamax chassis. 6 speed Allison and 38K miles. Asking $273K which I believe to be $10-20K high. Anything I need to be on the lookout for in this adventure?

sdblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an '09 Magna Vivaldi #6999. A friend has an '09 Veranda #6998. Both of us have the ISX 650 and we've both had valves break off. Mine has done it twice in 45,000 miles. His once at about 12,000 miles. Check the Cummins engine section on this forum for several threads on it.

HOWEVER the ISX 600's don't seem to have as much of a problem but unless it's been rebuilt with the latest head and valves it's still a possibility. Cost is about $30,000.

BTW it's a DynoMax chassis not a DynaMax.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Veranda floorplan was about a $70,000 option not mentioned in NADA pricing.

Now that I said my piece about the ISX 650 I wouldn't be afraid to buy a 600 at all. In fact I asked Cummins about derating my 650 to 600 but they said it was too expensive as even the transmission needed removal and a different torque converter installed.

There have been NO reports of the rebuilt 650's breaking valves after being rebuilt with the latest parts. Cummins can't tell me if mine got the good valves when it was rebuilt in April 2015 so I'm spending another $20,000 to have the latest head and valves installed.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

If it were me I would stay away from the Veranda and the 600 Cummins. If I didn't have mine and lived closer to Florida I would love to have this one with a C13 525hp plus it has warranty.
https://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.a...SearchMethod=1
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #5

While searching for our rig I looked hard at a Veranda up in Des Moines a year ago or so. It's still for sale... I'd heard that resale of the Veranda can be tough, and this example kinda proves it. It was a nice unit with nothing visibly wrong, and it test drove well.
Beware the albatross if you ever need to sell one, I guess I'm saying.

Steve
2005 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
Jean n Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Buying 2009 CC

Why last 2 posts down on Veranda and 600 HP Cummins? Veranda looks like a fine option/feature. Not sure why hard to sell?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Veranda wss a limited production $70,000 optional floorplan. I know of three, one on a 400 series, one on a 600 series and the last on a 700 series.
To me the Veranda cuts into the interior living space too much, but for some it's worth it.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdblossom View Post
Why last 2 posts down on Veranda and 600 HP Cummins? Veranda looks like a fine option/feature. Not sure why hard to sell?
My wife and I were intrigued so I looked at one. Mr_D has it right when he says there's a lack of interior space. The one I looked at (still available now) was cool and new and unique and the owner had people flocking around him every time he camped BUT - it was narrow in there. Keep in mind, the veranda is NOT a slide-out. The glass doors are a very real barrier and your interior space doesn't benefit at all.
Not to say they aren't pretty cool!
My advice, sdblossom, is to go look at one. Look at it critically, without getting wowed by the cool factor. Don't think about how people will be lining up to see your coach. Do it and think about the livability. It may be right for you. Who knows?

Steve
Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #9

First time on iRV2 (first post too) and really enjoying all the posts and information.
My wife and I recently bought a CC Mt Raineir Veranda 400. CC did build great MHs. We love the floor plan and as itís just the two of us, with the kitchen/couch slideout deployed, we find it has more than enough room.
One thing we really like about the Veranda model though is when the veranda is down, thereís plenty of natural light coming in through those three sliding glass doors. Even on cloudy days. Not to mention just hanging out on that deck! Donít get that with just the one window on a regular slideout.
So, to each their own but for us, it works out just fine.
CC Veranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

Was this the one in Des Moines?
Regardless, CONGRATULATIONS!
And welcome to the CC club - from one newbie to another. :-)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #11

Yep, as a matter of fact it is. Small world! OMG moment when I first read you post too.
Weíre in Seattle and flew to Des Moines end of Jan to take a look-see. We were always intrigued with the Veranda when we started checking out MHs so had an opportunity to see one up close. We liked it, flew back out and bought it end of Feb and drove it to JC to get it inspected. Drove like a champ though some pretty nasty weather. Story for another day .
Canít wait to get it home to make it our own and hit the road FT in July!
If you see it/us somewhere down the road, please stop by and say hi..
CC Veranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #12

Appreciate all the candid feedback, I have a decision to make.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Veranda View Post
Yep, as a matter of fact it is. Small world! OMG moment when I first read you post too.
We’re in Seattle and flew to Des Moines end of Jan to take a look-see. We were always intrigued with the Veranda when we started checking out MHs so had an opportunity to see one up close. We liked it, flew back out and bought it end of Feb and drove it to JC to get it inspected. Drove like a champ though some pretty nasty weather. Story for another day .
Can’t wait to get it home to make it our own and hit the road FT in July!
If you see it/us somewhere down the road, please stop by and say hi..
I'm so glad Roger's baby found a new home. Did he tell you he was on the fence about selling it at all? I can now empathize! We'll be looking for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdblossom View Post
Appreciate all the candid feedback, I have a decision to make.
Yep. Keep us informed - and try not to agonize.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #14

I always thought that the Veranda model would be perfect for someone/relative who has difficulty managing steps but wants to enjoy RVing.

The Veranda allows enjoyment of the outdoors even if the person needs a cane, walker or even a wheel chair. They don't have to worry about going up and down the steps as often.

Every motorhome has it's place and sometimes a limited market.

Safe travels!
Mark

Tags
buying