Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CAC diagnosis

This is the first motorhome I've had that did not have a boost guage. Makes me curious. Other then an obvious loss of power, is there any other simple way of diagnosing a failing charge air cooler. My experience is that they can fail gradually enough so that you really don't feel it happening right away.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

spray soap and look for bubbles.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Court Jester. I can see boost psi on my Silverleaf. If you have a Silverleaf you should be able to do that too.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #4

I also have the Silverleaf and boost is one that I use and it runs about 33lbs max on a C9 Cat. I like gauges that reads in real time.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the notes. I've about convinced myself to invest in the silverleaf. Everything I read/hear about them seems positive.
toni
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

After many years of stalling, I finally bit the bullet and bought an S/L. The only weak link in the system is the serial port connection for older coaches. The Belkan serial port to USB adapter seems to be the preferred solution to connect to you lap top. That is unless you go with the built in solution......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #7

Check out the Silverleaf website for the best JIB for you. I run the USB JIB but you might be able to go with the Blue Tooth. I run VMSpc on a Microsoft Surface Pro that sits against my dash instruments. Boost is one of the parameters that I have on my display.

Call CAT with your engine serial number and get the dynamometer test results sheet for your engine. It will have the maximum boost your engine developed at the time of manufacture.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Pete, although I'm not sure the local CAT shop will even talk to me. I had a big row with them a couple years ago that ended with me smiling and them not. We'll see. There's other CAT dealers if need be.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

The best way to test a CAC is a pressure test. Plug the inlet and outlet and pressurize it, allows you to look for leaks and monitor pressure drop over time. Often you can find leeaks with just a visual inspection though, there will often be grime accumulated where there is a leak.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I get that part Dale. I guess my question should have been more to the tune of, is there any way to quickly assess that your CAC is still allowing you to keep boost pressure. I've pressure tested them before, in fact I made a kind of fixture to do it on my old Monaco.
I'm thinking that one of those silverleaf deals will be the easiest way to take care of my concerns. I do think its not a bad idea to take a good look at them once in a while.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

YUP--without an OEM boost gauge, you can only guess, eg, black smoke, lost power, lower MPG. Physical inspect [with soapy water] can tell if cac or pipe connections are leaking but wont diagnose the turbo itself. S/L is about the best bet, or a Cat shop. Have heard that some off-the-shelf products like "Bully Dog"can also read engine data but not sure how or how well.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Apologies if my post didn't come across correctly! Just trying to offer up information.

I just purchased the Silverleaf VMSpc, that arrived Friday. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. The software is pretty cool, been playing with it a bit (free download). I can say I appreciated the boost pressure and exhaust temperature information on my trucks.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
Apologies if my post didn't come across correctly! Just trying to offer up information.

I just purchased the Silverleaf VMSpc, that arrived Friday. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. The software is pretty cool, been playing with it a bit (free download). I can say I appreciated the boost pressure and exhaust temperature information on my trucks.
To the contrary Dale, I appreciate the thoughts. I just wasn't articulate enough in my question. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

will be curious how the ramp up of your new silverleaf works. Any tidbits of info will be appreciated.

Its funny, I've torn every inch of our old monaco apart, including tearing the head off of the cummins on the side of the road and replacing the whole engine in my driveway and shop. But this new Country Coach has so much more "stuff" associated with it, i'm a bit at 6's and 7's.

toni