Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
Capacity of PTO hydraulic system

Hello from the UK

2005 Allure 430 Hood River - 40'

Have tried the 'handbook' and a search of this and other forums and cannot seem to locate the answer

Am due to replace various of the PTO / hydraulic tubing that are showing signs of cracking / perishing - before they fail out on the road
It therefore makes sense to flush the system and change the fluid and filter at the same time - am doubting it has been done since the coach was built!!

Have sourced spare filters, albeit they had to come over from the States

Am struggling to find the total capacity of the PTO system please - to ensure I have enough Dexron lll to hand

The handbook advises that the reservoir is approx 16 quarts - but does not appear to mention how much is also used by the cooler and all the piping

I recall postings somewhere about users upgrading to silicone tubing

Can those of you who have changed their PTO piping or just changed / replaced the fluid assist with a total capacity please

Thanks in anticipation

Ian S.
2005 Allure 430 - Hood River - now resident in the UK

IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Hello from the left side of the pond.

You want to make sure the largest hose going from the reservoir to the pump is rated for vacuum service. This is the suction side of the pump and if the correct hose is not used the hose may collapse blocking the feed of hydraulic fluid. This would not be a good thing. The correct hose is reinforced and cannot be collapsed without a lot of force.

My reservoir holds 4 gallons and I would think an additional 2 gallons should take care of your needs. Dexron III is very hard to find here these days and my last change I used Castrol Dex/Merc ATF. The only other choice that looked like it would work was Dexron IV which I believe is a synthetic ATF and more expensive.

The hydraulic fluid stays very clean and I would think a flush would not be necessary. Even after many miles the fluid looks new. Just my opinion.

Good luck,

07 Inspire 52059
BarneyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
I have a different system, since my hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine. But when I busted the hydraulic hose, it took 18 quarts of fluid to refill.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
I found the write-up at this link helpful.

Hydraulic Oil & Filter Change

Though he has a Foretravel motor home and his system uses 15W-40 motor oil, the reservoir, filters, and gasket are the same as the ones in the three coaches that I have owned. All three of my coaches, two Monaco's and the current Country Coach, used Dexron III. Owners of different Monaco models have reported both motor oil and hydraulic (automatic transmission fluid [ATF]) oil in their units.

Everything I've read indicates that these systems hold between 4 and 5 gallons of oil.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Mine held 4.5 gallons of fluid when I drained it and replaced the filters. Only the reservoir was drained. I purchased a 5 gallon pale of fluid and had 2 quarts left over to add as needed. In my case the same fluid in the HWH hydraulic levelers.
Dale & Suzi C.
"Haulin Aus" (Mini Australian Shepherds - Cool Hand Luke & Perro Rojo)
2005 Country Coach Inspire - 2004 Jeep Rubicon Towed
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Capacity of PTO hydraulic system - UPDATE

Thank you to those who took the time and trouble to respond

System drained - reservoir removed, washed out and given a coat of paint

Both hoses from reservoir to pump replaced - hose from cooler to reservoir replaced - additional drain hose added to return from fan at reservoir (so I do not having to go fishing in ATF next time I change the filters!!) - new filters

Replacing the pipes as above caused cooler and pump to drain - did not disconnect @ power steering box - replaced O-rings where fittings separated from reservoir

Total Dexron lll used in the region of 25 litres - about 6.5 gallons US

(Awaiting new reservoir gasket from the States - will pre-order / obtain in advance for next time )

Hope the capacity info helpful to someone in the future

Ian S.

IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote