Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to dtrawets
Car Dolly?

We own a 2005 Limited Edition Intrigue County Coach. We have only owned it for about 3 months and know very little about it or anything to do with motor homes. so any info will help. we want to tow our 2014 Kia Rondo which is front wheel drive and were told we can't flat tow. so, now we're looking at buying a car dolly but know nothing about them either. can anyone suggest which one is the one to buy? from what i have heard we should have one with braking. i believe its the law in some states as well. not sure about Canada. i know of some names and prices but is it necessary to get the top of the line when there are so many other choices with better prices?
dtrawets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I have a master tow 80" dolly with electric brakes and radial tires. I'v towed it all over the US without a problem. It's easy to load and unload and follows the motorhome perfectly. I prefer it over 4 down because the debris from the rear tires of the motorhome goes under the car instead of on the hood and windshield.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I have a master tow 80" dolly with electric brakes and radial tires. I'v towed it all over the US without a problem. It's easy to load and unload and follows the motorhome perfectly. I prefer it over 4 down because the debris from the rear tires of the motorhome goes under the car instead of on the hood and windshield.
We use the same dolly with a RAV4. It's worked out well. My wife uses the RV when I'm off on motorcycle trips, and she loads and unloads the car by herself. It's worked out fine for us as well.

I did cut four blocks of wood at a 45 degree angle and put two at the foot of the rails and two at the foot of the step up into the cradle. It softens the step up and makes it easier to load in wet conditions. I also stuck traction strips to the rails. With these additions we can just gently drive up; they're not necessary, but they're helpful.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

We have a Demco Kar Kaddy SS (space saver). The tow bar and the ramps fold so the whole thing is only about 5' long when not in use. It fits in the garage in front of our Mini Cooper.
We've pulled it and the Cooper about 10,000 miles in the last year and a half and still like it.
They are pretty pricy. I found mine used on EBay.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

Don't buy based on price. I did and regret it now
Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170613_070454.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	168881
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Our Master Tow dolly has worked fine. My Toyota Matrix has a low spoiler in the front so I carry a couple 2x6s and set on the ramps when I load or unload the car.
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Please be aware that the 7 pin connection does not give you breaks, electrical or hydraulic automatically. You need a brake controller to the brakes on the folly.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

A surge brake dolly makes it simple. The hitch coupler applies the brakes according to how hard the dolly pushs against the hitch. It self regulates for a smooth stop.

All you need to do is connect the plug for the lights and safety chains. Strap the car down and go.

Electric brakes need a controller, wiring to it and the plug in the back and a guess at how much braking you send back there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to dtrawets
car dolly?

thank you all for the help on car dollies. we're trying to figure out if we should spend a lot more on a kar kaddy. the fact that they fold up is very nice and seem to be at the top end of the list as far as quality goes. just not sure if spending the extra $3000 is worth it or not. we are new to this and are really not sure what kind of room there is to store caddies. this is why the fold up seems to be the best option...but $3000 more. hmmm anyone know what it might cost at some RV parks to store something like this? for our first trip we're staying at Mesa Regal which we know very little about. so we don't know about the room at the site and what storage might cost if they have it.
dtrawets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You should consider the eze-tow dolly with surge brakes. It can be stored under the RV taking up zero extra space. Brand new delivered is about 2100
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrawets View Post
thank you all for the help on car dollies. we're trying to figure out if we should spend a lot more on a kar kaddy. the fact that they fold up is very nice and seem to be at the top end of the list as far as quality goes. just not sure if spending the extra $3000 is worth it or not. we are new to this and are really not sure what kind of room there is to store caddies. this is why the fold up seems to be the best option...but $3000 more. hmmm anyone know what it might cost at some RV parks to store something like this? for our first trip we're staying at Mesa Regal which we know very little about. so we don't know about the room at the site and what storage might cost if they have it.
I've never had an issue with storage at a campground. Usually, with a pull through, I just leave it hooked up. With a back in, I have pushed it to the back of the site then backed in. I've even backed over it and gotten a good bit of it under the RV.

Often there will be spaces allocated for people to park boats or other trailers. I've got a hitch on the toad and just use it to pull the dolly to one of those spaces.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #13

Oops
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #14

We found our used Kar Kaddy SS on EBay for $1800. We had to wait a while before one came up for sale in our area but when it did there were two at the same time.

Here's one in Illinois for $2100 or best offer.

Here's one in North Carolina for $1200.

I like the folding feature mainly for storing it at home in the garage.

Tags
dolly