Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

Carefree awnings(Eclipse)vs Dometic?

Has anyone changed out or installed a different awning than the OEM on their coach. I have the eclipse (no longer available), stiching unravling etc., need new fabric, knowing that the arms are showing wear and not available in the XL awning, I would like to change out the complete unit., I do want a rugged one that will take some abuse, any idea's or comments.
Marvin,07 Allure 470 31459

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will be curious to see what you discover. One of the issues I have pondered if the need arose to replace the entire awning is matching the existing gold anodized hardware. Carefree no longer makes that nor does A&E.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

All of our awnings are original. I did have a small repair done to the stitching on one a couple of years ago. We have a Girard on the one side which is electric and very well made. The other three are ZipDee and those are also very well made. Our coach is now 12 years old and none of the awning material or mechanicals look like they will be wearing out soon. The material on the awnings is Sunbrella. Which is what we had on our last sailboat.

You might consider those suppliers. The three smaller awnings are manual but so easy to use I don't consider that to be a negative.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

My wife clipped a low tunnel with our Eclipse XL, which as you say Carefree no longer make. However they do make the standard Eclipse but this extends some 20 inches less out from the coach. The standard Eclipse fits all the main fixings of the XL or hides any incorrect ones except for one key issue. The arms are about 6 inches shorter and the cables come into the front arm at the bottom, so with a shorter arm the cable hole becomes visible. You have choices. Use the existing hole and add a cover to the cable on the outside, yuk. Move the cable exit up to a similar relationship with the arm, this leaves the original hole to be dealt with and because the cable now goes through the coach wall above the box by the passenger seat a cable on view inside.
Also there are now less choice of casing cover colours, silver or black! Mine were pewter, no longer produced.
So what I did was get a standard Eclipse in black and have that repainted in the coaches metallic black. The original pewter was powder coated and my paint shop could not match it close enough. I then had all the topper shields (2 were scratched in the tunnel and needed painting anyway) and window awning shields painted in the metallic black to match. The paint shop then did a great job filling and painting the hole out.
I had just prior had all the fabrics changed so the seamstress modified the XL fabric to fit the standard.
I have a 4 inch length of cable coming through the coach wall and down into the box. I have hidden that with a wooden rack matching the coach for the TV remote's etc. I am a bit of a perfectionist.
$9000!!!

So just change the fabric!
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
My wife clipped a low tunnel with our Eclipse XL, which as you say Carefree no longer make. However they do make the standard Eclipse but this extends some 20 inches less out from the coach. The standard Eclipse fits all the main fixings of the XL or hides any incorrect ones except for one key issue. The arms are about 6 inches shorter and the cables come into the front arm at the bottom, so with a shorter arm the cable hole becomes visible. You have choices. Use the existing hole and add a cover to the cable on the outside, yuk. Move the cable exit up to a similar relationship with the arm, this leaves the original hole to be dealt with and because the cable now goes through the coach wall above the box by the passenger seat a cable on view inside.
Also there are now less choice of casing cover colours, silver or black! Mine were pewter, no longer produced.
So what I did was get a standard Eclipse in black and have that repainted in the coaches metallic black. The original pewter was powder coated and my paint shop could not match it close enough. I then had all the topper shields (2 were scratched in the tunnel and needed painting anyway) and window awning shields painted in the metallic black to match. The paint shop then did a great job filling and painting the hole out.
I had just prior had all the fabrics changed so the seamstress modified the XL fabric to fit the standard.
I have a 4 inch length of cable coming through the coach wall and down into the box. I have hidden that with a wooden rack matching the coach for the TV remote's etc. I am a bit of a perfectionist.
$9000!!!

So just change the fabric!
Thanks for the information, but are you sure about the 20"?, that seems like a lot..
I am leaning on going that route..
Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #6

Hi MYTime, I apologise I just spewed out my grief without double checking. Here is the relevent part of the email from Carefree, its nearer 12 inches than 20.
"The arms will be 7 shorter and the awning will now only extend about 8 instead of the 9 you currently have. I have listed the part numbers below in case you decide to send the information to your retailer.

20 roller assembly: QL20ABJV
Eclipse arms, black: VXJE50HW"
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
Hi MYTime, I apologise I just spewed out my grief without double checking. Here is the relevent part of the email from Carefree, its nearer 12 inches than 20.
"The arms will be 7” shorter and the awning will now only extend about 8’ instead of the 9’ you currently have. I have listed the part numbers below in case you decide to send the information to your retailer.

20’ roller assembly: QL20ABJV
Eclipse arms, black: VXJE50HW"
Thanks, that will be a lot of help , the wire thing is especially helpful. My arms are well used and sometime does not work very good, I cannot depend on it rolling up by itself when on auto.
I think this is a good time to change the arms also, the roller tube seems OK.., thanks again
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #8

MYTime, now I understand your issues better it may be worth having a debate with Carefree. The real issue was that the idler on the rear end is the major non standard element of the XL version.
"In talking with our engineer (who confirmed the tunnels in Italy are quite snug), he confirms that the standard idler head will not work on your XL style. "
So your idler may be fine and the other elements are available that you may need. So as I say engage in debate with Carefree.

Tags
awning, dometic