RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carefree Eclipse Awning issues/questions

Went to deploy my Eclipse awning for first time in a long time and it extended in its usually herky-jerky, flailing bird fashion. Storm approached hours later and when I hit the retract button, the roller moved a foot or so then stopped. Every time I would hit the retract button it would move just a bit, I would hear a click, and it would stop. I was finally able to get it to retract.

I figured the motor was going bad so had a mobile RV guy here in Ocean City, MD replace the motor/gear assembly today. After motor replaced we try awning and it will extend only about 2 feet then stop. The only way to get it to fully deploy was to pull on the rear-most arms to help it. Tech and I checked all the hardware it looks OK....nothing looks bent or sprung. He lubed all the moving parts with BoShield and it worked some better. So now I cannot get it to deploy using the switch inside the coach above the door (if I press extend, it extends only about 18", I hear a click, and it then retracts). If I go outside and use the switch on the bottom of the front arm (I have to hold the switch), I can get it to fully extend.

I've never liked this goofy thing and now I really want to get rid of it. So my questions for any who have this thing or have had issues with it:

1. is there some adjustment to a pot or something on a circuit board that will make it less sensitive to resistance when moving? It seems to want to stop if there is any resistance to extension....like a slightly binding arm or even overcoming the weight of the heavy aluminum weather shield.

2. has anyone replaced an older Eclipse with a new Eclipse? I know there is a difference in how the arms mount and I am told the newer model arms will not cover the holes in side of coach left by the older model.

3. has anyone replaced one of these fairly useless auto awnings with a good manually-operated awning? I never had issues with my previous two coaches with A&E manual awnings.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

I don't have a specific answer for you but your problem made me think about the gas struts that counter balance the awning. Could it be that that the struts have lost their pressure and the motor doesn't have enough grunt to counterbalance and overcome the weight or resistance of the awning and frame? The struts are over 10 years old and I know that my car hood and tailgate struts fail in that time frame.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
Cat

Bad ground corroded power connection. I had that problem with my weather pro.Turned out to be the one of the relays, there's two on the circuit board that powered the motor was not providing a good ground. Was a pain to find out what the problem was. Ran test wires it powered in and out no problem use the control box had the problem.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
I don't have a specific answer for you but your problem made me think about the gas struts that counter balance the awning. Could it be that that the struts have lost their pressure and the motor doesn't have enough grunt to counterbalance and overcome the weight or resistance of the awning and frame? The struts are over 10 years old and I know that my car hood and tailgate struts fail in that time frame.
I wondered about those struts. Will check the Carefree parts list to see they are available.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I wondered about those struts. Will check the Carefree parts list to see they are available.
Instead of just buying parts and throwing at it, troubleshoot and find the actual cause.....will save you money in the long run. I too think it sounds more like a relay/electrical issue, but hey, I'm not there!
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Instead of just buying parts and throwing at it, troubleshoot and find the actual cause.....will save you money in the long run. I too think it sounds more like a relay/electrical issue, but hey, I'm not there!
I agree. I plan to check several things before deciding what to do. The gas springs on Amazon are $112 each .

If you read the diagnostic/troubleshooting section of the service manual, it is clear that the Eclipse has many opportunities for problems.

Tags
awning