Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carpet replacement

We are wanting to replace the carpet in our Allure. Even with professional cleaning, the carpet in the front (slide floor/small piece in front of slide) look dingy. Bedroom carpet looks better but we'd like to get something better and a bit darker color.

I had planned to DIY but DW thinks my geezer knees won't like it so I called CC just for kicks to see what they would charge. They estimate 30 hours of labor if we let them have the coach and 40 if we have to have it back every night. At their shop rate, that is between $3,500 and $4,600 just for labor . That seems excessive to me but I may find out differently when I get more estimates. I have been unable to find any local carpet shops who will do it or recommend anyone.

I would just do high quality carpet tiles but not sure how I could make them work on the carpeted panels between the cabinets and floor in the bedroom.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Some 5 yrs ago I had the LR & BR carpet replaced for $800 in labor on my non slide Intrigue. I helped remove the couch, cabinet, & driver & passenger seats. Took them a long day, 2 guys. I know I got a deal, but $4000?? Wow. think I'd keep shopping. I'd think $1500 to $2000 would be more in line. Good luck
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

I think they're telling you they don't want to do the job
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, they are telling you that they are not interested in the job.

HEREis a post that describes what it cost me for my new carpet and vinyl planking project.

And you can read and see photos of the entire thread HERE.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #5

Give Bobby and Scott a call, buy the carpet down there and have it delivered to there shop. That's what I did with my frig.
Kustom Coach Works --Home
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$650.00 professionally installed including the flooring.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/new-v...es-225817.html
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

I have a receipt from when I purchased my Moho last August from Fountain rv in Florida. The owner supplied the carpet and the labor was $500.00 to remove and reinstall. We don't have carpet I the kitchen and bath.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, they don't really want to do the work. Carpet and flooring are not cheap to replace, but $4000?

Keep shopping around!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

I was given a ball park estimate to remove carpet and tile, install heated floor and then install whatever I wanted, wood, more tile, carpet, etc. for $10K. Most of the cost was to get the bare floor totally level for the installation of the heating elements.This for a 40ft coach
Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #10

Just finished my Allure 36 not really that hard. Bought crown staple gun about $50, box of staples. Took as much time to remove staples as to put in carpet. Pretty easy if you have time. No need for carpet stretchers, just lay out, trim staple. Had to use grinder with thin cutting disk to cut bolts on both front seats, really sounds harder than it was. Would do again especially if it's $1000's to have done. Refinished wood floor at same time took about a month working few nights and weekends not every day, knees to old for every day grind.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #11

To the OP: Keep looking for an independent carpet installer. We are half way through having all the carpet replaced in our motor home. The pro that is doing the work was referred by the carpet store where we found the replacement carpeting. They didn't want to do the install, but they did want to sell us the carpet & padding. They explained that the per yard carpet installation price just doesn't work for motor homes & boats. Both are too time consuming for small yardage amounts. So, they stay out of it. They recommended 2 installers & we went with the guy that did our last motor home. (He's a perfectionist & that's what we like.) We, also got an estimate from the manufacturer before starting this project. (Shocked, when it came in over $5000.) This seems to be one of those times when it pays to shop around. Our cost for top-knotch materials & A+ labor is approx. $850. I'll post some pictures when it's done.
schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #12

Wink Pictures of finished carpet install

Our carpet replacement project is done & we love it. Here are some pictures taken when things were torn apart (prepare for a mess!) & with the carpet installed. The color is off in these pictures. We picked this carpet because it has all the colors found in the tile. (A combination of taupes & grays & creams.)
Today, as we started to move furniture back into the motor home, we came up with the next project. We placed the chair & foot stool where the table was. I always thought the table with 4 chairs was too big for that space. Now, we're looking for a smaller (maybe folding) table. It never ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	91257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	91258  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	91259  
schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Looks awesome. I like having carpet in the living room and bedroom. I'm not into the laminate wood thing.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

I agree with schools out. We bought Shaw carpet for our 34 ft Allure and one of the store's recommended installers did the job. Started at 8:30 one morning and finished at about midnight. Beautiful job, and at the end of it all he charged us $400. We just had a similar Shaw carpet installed in two large MBR closets and he did a great job there also. Bottom line is there are other options. Our total cost was about $2400.

Tags
ace, carpet, replace, replacement